• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool C] Round 1 - England vs. Tonga (22/09/2019)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
ozGqDLF.png

dEc1PIg.png
j7lEIMe.png
DBiYQQC.png

Venue: Sapporo Dome
Time: 12:15 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Injuries will play their part.

Coka and Wilson are doubtful. Mako and Nowell definitely unavailable and I'm guessing Slade too. Singleton had a cast on his wrist the other day, so who knows about him?

If all those are unavailable that leaves us to pick 23 from 25. It may be more a case of starter / bench mix than anything else.

Probably a 2nd string side similar to the Wales warm up games - though, as above, we don't have a massive amount of choice atm

England will win handily regardless. Sensible thing would be to rest the big guns (in the sense of having them on the bench), or replace them at half time.

I would have thought virtually everyone would get a start in the first 2 games. Which game ,doesn't matter.

Fazlet is trying to learn how to use his arms in the tackle, because "If your shoulder is ahead of your hands, then the law doesn't look after you very well." The law probably doesn't protect you very well in such circumstance because it's explicitly against the law.
Given that he did exactly that in the 11th minute against Italy all of 9 days ago... he doesn't seem to have taken his new insight to heart just yet.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/49711029

Do we go full on with 2 weeks rest
Or squad rotation the first 2 games ??
Given our injury list of
Mako
Singleton(potentially injured but no official word)
Wilson
Slade (potentially fit)
Nowell
Big joe

We have a cast of 25 to pic 23 from. Now id say put out a very strong 15 for the first game. Slade to get 80 on both games for sort of a fitness bootcamp (if his issue is fitness now and his injury is gone). Make a statement with this strong team, try manu slade.

Then for the second game move the main starters to the bench and bring back wilson and big joe. And use subs as needed to rest them if we can get a bp win without them then start them in the next games.

There is going to have to be alot of player managment here. Giving out gametime aswell as resting players for the tier 1 teams. Going to a world cup and having 5 or 6 injuries before you start is ridiculous tbh but if they are progressing we will get them back for the QFs.

I want to see vs Tonga, strong bar couple of areas

Genge
Singleton(LCDif injured)
Sinks
Itoje
Kruis
Curry
Ludlam
Billy(wilson gone its our only real 8)

Youngs
Faz
May
Manu
Slade/JJ
Watson
Daly

LCD(George if LCD Starts)
Marler
Cole
Lawes
Underhill
Heinz
Ford
JJ(if not starting) /Francais(as we have no more back 3)

Given our injury list of
Mako
Singleton(potentially injured but no official word)
Wilson
Slade (potentially fit)
Nowell
Big joe

We have a cast of 25 to pic 23 from. Now id say put out a very strong 15 for the first game. Slade to get 80 on both games for sort of a fitness bootcamp (if his issue is fitness now and his injury is gone). Make a statement with this strong team, try manu slade.

Then for the second game move the main starters to the bench and bring back wilson and big joe. And use subs as needed to rest them if we can get a bp win without them then start them in the next games.

There is going to have to be alot of player managment here. Giving out gametime aswell as resting players for the tier 1 teams. Going to a world cup and having 5 or 6 injuries before you start is ridiculous tbh but if they are progressing we will get them back for the QFs.

I want to see vs Tonga, strong bar couple of areas

Genge
Singleton(LCDif injured)
Sinks
Itoje
Kruis
Curry
Ludlam
Billy(wilson gone its our only real 8)

Youngs
Faz
May
Manu
Slade/JJ
Watson
Daly

LCD(George if LCD Starts)
Marler
Cole
Lawes
Underhill
Heinz
Ford
JJ(if not starting) /Francais(as we have no more back 3)
I think McConaughey needs a run

Not sure about Slade in this game - Tonga doesn't seem the side to be getting over injury against

Rest Daley and move Watson to 15?
Yes i agree.

Not sure about Slade in this game - Tonga doesn't seem the side to be getting over injury against

Could play manu JJ which is a good combo, and use slade off the bench or just rest him till usa but slade needs gametime and he should be up to it if he has been back in full training for a while now.

Yeah, I'd have JJ start and Slade bench, then switch them around the following week.

I don't rate Francis, so don't really want to play him a lot, but when both our starting centres are our only other options there (I'm guessing Farrell/Manu is our first choice atm) then it's slim pickings if you don't want to risk injury.

Yeah, I'd have JJ start and Slade bench, then switch them around the following week.

I don't rate Francis, so don't really want to play him a lot, but when both our starting centres are our only other options there (I'm guessing Farrell/Manu is our first choice atm) then it's slim pickings if you don't want to risk injury.
What about Francis and Daley?

Yes same on francais, a good prem level player who is lucky to be there. But not highly rated.

Tbh our centres are very strong tbh some good combos...unless manu gets injured. Then it takes a massive asset out of our attack.

What about Francis and Daley?
Aye, Francis will get game time at 12 but my point was I don't rate him there. Him and Farrell were really bad together.

Daly is an option at 13 in general, but doubt he's really considered there for England - don't think he's ever played there?

I'd start McConnochie - he looked good vs Italy.

Latest posts