• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] Wales vs Georgia (07/10/2023)

I think he's made his feelings on Anscombe's performance pretty clear and I don't know if the lack of a hack journalist to back that up really means anything.
It would increase the number of people that thought Anscombe was "poor" by 100%. I'd take that kind of reinforcement any time I could get it.

I don't think Anscombe was poor. The drop goal for example was in a moment of complete scrappiness where the game wasn't going anywhere. But since the forwards were so dominant calling him potm is overblown. But he got his kicks and controlled the game enough. But Jac Morgan was potm, or any of the dominant forwards.

Anyway bigger tests will follow, let's see how he does against Georgia.

I think the most impressive thing Anscombe did was down to just handling the occasion. Coming on after 10 mins when the game was close and soon after getting smashed by Koroibete (I think?) but doing his job was the thing that impressed me most given his lack of any rugby over the last 2 plus years. The dink over the top for Tompkins' try was nice too.

I'm kinda arguing against myself here because Gatland will say that's exactly the reason why he was selected and will feel justified in his decision taking him. I'd probably counter that by saying, especially In hindsight what with the state this Australian team are in, that there's a few other players that could've done a similar or better job but hard to argue against a 40-6 win with Anscombe nailing most the points to be fair.

I think the most impressive thing Anscombe did was down to just handling the occasion. Coming on after 10 mins when the game was close and soon after getting smashed by Koroibete (I think?) but doing his job was the thing that impressed me most given his lack of any rugby over the last 2 plus years. The dink over the top for Tompkins' try was nice too.

I'm kinda arguing against myself here because Gatland will say that's exactly the reason why he was selected and will feel justified in his decision taking him. I'd probably counter that by saying, especially In hindsight what with the state this Australian team are in, that there's a few other players that could've done a similar or better job but hard to argue against a 40-6 win with Anscombe nailing most the points to be fair.
That's a valid point, I'd argue, and trust me I am no fan of him, that Costello would have done just as good a job, the pack won the match at a canter, and the centres were superb in defence.

I would say to Anscombes defence, he hit 75% at goal which is ok, not great but ok, and he probably had a hand in Tompkins best performance in a Welsh shirt by a mile.

I remain unconvinced, but he has played twice and vastly improved from the first, if he improves again I'll happily call it

Georgia sticking with young Matkava at 10 after solid performances. Lobz at 9 my preference but Niniashvili is way better at fullback. I expect Wales to continue the attacking verve withoug sacrificing much defensive ability.

Wales 39 - 12 Georgia

Little worried about this, a few inexperienced players in key positions, and some more coming off the bench.

Some of these boys must have experienced the loss last year.

I think Wales will have enough, but probably only by 10-12 points.

I cant believe theyve shipped Naniashvili to the wing, hes a real live wire at 15!

Little worried about this, a few inexperienced players in key positions, and some more coming off the bench.

Some of these boys must have experienced the loss last year.

I think Wales will have enough, but probably only by 10-12 points.

I cant believe theyve shipped Naniashvili to the wing, hes a real live wire at 15!
I'm not worried at all. Don't get me wrong, I could definitely see there only being 10-12 points in it but that's worse case scenario for me. I expect us to be that much up at HT and end up winning by 20-25 points in the end. I'll caveat that with, I'm wrong more often than not but everything is in our favour. They have injuries, we're nicely rested (but still battle hardened) and I think that loss in Cardiff will really motivate the handful of players that were playing that day and will rub off on the others. Not to mention we're on a little run at the moment and they're winless.

I think it was Scrum V podcast where Navidi said they look pretty dejected in their press conference a day or 2 ago as well.

I'm setting this up for a Georgia win aren't I but, yeah, think we'll be alright in this one.

I'm not worried at all. Don't get me wrong, I could definitely see there only being 10-12 points in it but that's worse case scenario for me. I expect us to be that much up at HT and end up winning by 20-25 points in the end. I'll caveat that with, I'm wrong more often than not but everything is in our favour. They have injuries, we're nicely rested (but still battle hardened) and I think that loss in Cardiff will really motivate the handful of players that were playing that day and will rub off on the others. Not to mention we're on a little run at the moment and they're winless.

I think it was Scrum V podcast where Navidi said they look pretty dejected in their press conference a day or 2 ago as well.

I'm setting this up for a Georgia win aren't I but, yeah, think we'll be alright in this one.
Wales have this uncanny away of doing well at WCs, they almost always seem to do better than the build up would suggest they should, I still think they were slightly gifted the Fiji win by the ref but you still have to compete and stay in the fight, where they are now compared to the 6 nations is night and day, really hoping both them and England can become competitive in the 6 nations again, France and Ireland dominating then Scotland being best of the rest doesn't feel right.

Wales have this uncanny away of doing well at WCs, they almost always seem to do better than the build up would suggest they should, I still think they were slightly gifted the Fiji win by the ref but you still have to compete and stay in the fight, where they are now compared to the 6 nations is night and day, really hoping both them and England can become competitive in the 6 nations again, France and Ireland dominating then Scotland being best of the rest doesn't feel right.
That's the best thing about cup rugby, you don't necessarily have to be the best team to stand a chance. SA weren't in amazing form going into 2019 as a recent example.

Nothing has changed my mind about us losing as soon as we play an Ireland or a France as they're considerably better than us but I'd fancy us more against them in a semi final of a WC than I would in a 6N game or something.

That's the best thing about cup rugby, you don't necessarily have to be the best team to stand a chance. SA weren't in amazing form going into 2019 as a recent example.

Nothing has changed my mind about us losing as soon as we play an Ireland or a France as they're considerably better than us but I'd fancy us more against them in a semi final of a WC than I would in a 6N game or something.
Spot on bud, just playing with some intent and with a smile is probably pretty good considering the financial issues and some of the old guard no longer being involved.

Anscombe out in the warm-up. Sam Costelow starting

Anscombe out in the warm-up. Sam Costelow starting
Gutted for him, just when you think he's poised to get a little run he picks up an injury again.

Big chance for Costello, I like him a lot on the front foot and can't imagine they'll want to bring Biggar on for too long.

I expect this game to be close. Particularly first half, but this is a different Wales to the one that lost to Georgia a year ago and I'd be really surprised if Wales lost.

Great defence,
Wales butchering a 6 on 2, genuinely harder not to score than score from that

Latest posts