• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scotland vs Ireland - 06/08/2011 - RWC Warm Up

BOD and Ferris won't be playing any part against the Scots anyways it seems. Doesn't fill me with a huge amount of confidence to hear that they are 'hopeful' that Ferris and D'Arcy will be fit for the USA game. Seemed like management were hopeful for Ferris for the last number of months...
Good news that Murphy, Kearney and Flannery are in line for selection though.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2011/0801/ireland_mcnaughtonp.html

Think against ireland scotland should play with a full strength squad to get them used to competitive rugby especially as ireland at about the same level as the english and the argentinas. Against italy we could field a weaker team to give some of the other boys a chance to impress as italy are not at as high a level as the irish.
For Ireland the squad should be:
1. Allan Jacobson
2. Ross Ford
3. Geoff Cross
4. Ali Kellock
5. Richie Gray
6. Kelly Brown
7. John Barclay
8. Richie Vernon
9. Chris Cuisitar
10. Ruriah Jackson
11. Max Evans
12. Sean Lamont
13. Joe Ansbro
14. Rory Lamont
15. Chris Paterson

(maybe swap pato and rory about)

Will be interesting gto see who is at 12 because with D'Arcy looking uncertain to make World Cup - Will Deccie put Wallace at 12 and try build his form up or let McFadden have a go and take a chance.
I've heard the Scots are resting alot of regulars so we should be brave and let a few young lads take a chance.
Feic I know you'd like to see SOB and Ferris play the 2 flanks but we have seen it too much now that Wallace is our only natural 7 and well O'Brien is slightly wasted at 7 as he seems to be at his most destructive at 6 but I'd like to see him at 8 too. As for Leamy I'd agree if his form is like last season then I wouldn't have him on plane to NZ but we have to remember it's a new season so form for some will have gone and others it'll have returned.

No we haven't, we hardly seen it at all.

No we haven't, we hardly seen it at all.
Well I agree Jennings is a 7 but doesn't seem to be in running to be a starter.
But SOB isn't a 7 and is wasted there. Ferris isn't a 7 and well is injured. The backrow of SOB/Wallace?Heaslip finished the 6 Nations very strongly and all kept their form for season so well Ferris has to get fit and earn his jersey off SOB.
But SOB was ineffectual at 7 for Leinster and well when he is at 6 or 8 he performs much more impressively and well he is a player we have to try get max out of as much as possible.

Here's what Kidneys had to say about injured players:

GORDON D'ARCY
(ankle)
It didn't solve itself. He needed an operation and it takes a good six weeks to repair so it's not ideal. He had to get the operation. It was around 20 June and you get at least six weeks from then to be running fully. Then you need pre-season, so it's tight.

SHANE JENNINGS
(fractured arm)
His plasters off. He started passing the ball last Monday, putting weight through it. He's made good progress. Another few weeks should see him ina good place.

JERRY FLANNERY
(compartment syndrome)
He has done a few weeks training. He's taking full part now. We'd be hopeful he he could maybe be doing something soon enogh.

STEPHEN FERRIS
(knee)
He is see-as-you-go. No setbacks. He's had a few good weeks training. He has being running good, straight lines and the next stage is to put curves in. If everything goes well, the nextstage is rugby, but that's a wait-and-see. I'm not going to tempt the man above. It's not too bad at the moment. It's positive. But we have to get him right without putting a date on it.

ROB KEARNEY
(knee)
Robs' making good progress. He's joined in fully. He just hasn't had any game time.

GEORDAN MURPHY
(ankle)
He's very pleased with his progress. It was an extensive injury but he's started to put full weight through and training fully. It's a case of building it up. The bike and pool work help to a degree, but you can't beat the running around the pitch, and the next stage then is match practise. He got the injury in January Rob got his in November, so Rob is a little ahead of Geordan in fitness.

Think against ireland scotland should play with a full strength squad to get them used to competitive rugby especially as ireland at about the same level as the english and the argentinas. Against italy we could field a weaker team to give some of the other boys a chance to impress as italy are not at as high a level as the irish.
For Ireland the squad should be:
1. Allan Jacobson
2. Ross Ford
3. Geoff Cross
4. Ali Kellock
5. Richie Gray
6. Kelly Brown
7. John Barclay
8. Richie Vernon
9. Chris Cuisitar
10. Ruriah Jackson
11. Max Evans
12. Sean Lamont
13. Joe Ansbro
14. Rory Lamont
15. Chris Paterson

(maybe swap pato and rory about)

Humph! How dare you spell Cusiter's name wrang!

Agree with that team, Cusiter needs gametime, but I think it should come in the form of 30 minutes or so off the bench, have Lawson starting.

It'll be interesting to see what AR does with the Italy game, we can't afford to lose I think, as it will not be us in good stead (more so than usual) when we have the two tough fixtures in our campaign one right after the other. I think we can swap a few players about though, without actually changing the strength of the team.

How is Beattie coming along, do you know?

Is the team being announced for Ireland today or are they leaving it?

Not to sure about this team tbh.Cusiter does need game time and he isnt even on the bench :O. Good to see Beattie back in the squad but i dont think lamont should be on the wing he is scotlands best runner along with max evans (where the hell is he!!) and he needs more ball so he better come of his wing loads during the game and really take it to the irish centres and fly-half

I think Andy is using this as his test game... If they lose this, but win the rest leading up to the RWC, then the team will have a positive attitude. If they do the opposite, by trying combinations later in these games, then team morale could drop. That is not good for the RWC, so I am going to trust Sir Andy.

I think Andy is using this as his test game... If they lose this, but win the rest leading up to the RWC, then the team will have a positive attitude. If they do the opposite, by trying combinations later in these games, then team morale could drop. That is not good for the RWC, so I am going to trust Sir Andy.

Must be this, hopefully Morrison has become at least one dimensional since the last time I saw him play.

In Andy We Trust B)

I really hope Conor Murray starts. I really hope O'Leary doesn't start. He's 3rd choice Munster scrum half at this stage, I don't think he should be first choice Ireland scrum half. Murray needs a chance to show what he can do on the international stage.

Ireland Team

15 - Rob Kearney (UCD/ Leinster)
14 - Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)
13 - Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/ Leinster)
12 - Paddy Wallace (Ballymena/ Ulster)
11 - Luke Fitzgerald (Blackrock College/ Leinster)
10 - Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
9 - Tomas O’Leary (Dolphin/ Munster)
1 - Tom Court (Malone/Ulster)
2 - Sean Cronin (Leinster)
3 - Tony Buckley (Sale)
4 - Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
5 - Leo Cullen (Blackrock College/Leinster) Captain
6 - Mike McCarthy (Buccaneers/ Connacht)*
7 - Niall Ronan (Shannon/ Munster)
8 - Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution/Munster)

Replacements:
16 - Jerry Flannery (Shannon/ Munster)
17 - Marcus Horan (Shannon/Munster)
18 - John Hayes (Bruff/Munster)
19 - Mick O’Driscoll (Cork Constitution/ Munster)
20 - Kevin McLaughlin (St Mary’s College/ Leinster)
21 - Isaac Boss (Terenure College/ Leinster)
22 - Felix Jones (Shannon/ Munster)

Are you serious?

One of the worst throwers in the world against that lineout, at least he's dynamic.
Tony Buckles ****. With Hayes on the bench.
Tomas O'Leary ****.
Morrison will run right through Wallace.

McCarthy yay a Connacht player happy for him probably not the standard needed though.
Hope Kearney regains form. Good to see Jones, McFadden and Flannery

Ok, interesting team in that Sexton is the only person on that team who'll feel confident that he's number one in his position,

Have not got a clue what Niall Ronan is doing there. Thought he'd been cut off the international scene about a year ago.

Leamy O'Leary and Paddy Wallace really need to show that they're worth a place. Last chance saloon style (though you know they'll get all the chances they need to make themselves look good.

Ryan and Cronin will really be looking to prove their worth. Will be interesting to see how Jones and Flannery get on off the bench but Mick and Hayes are a baffling presence. Much like Niall Ronan.

At least one of those outside-backs better be awesome. My money is on McFadden or Kearney to have a stormer.

Ireland Team

15 - Rob Kearney (UCD/ Leinster)
14 - Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)
13 - Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/ Leinster)
12 - Paddy Wallace (Ballymena/ Ulster)
11 - Luke Fitzgerald (Blackrock College/ Leinster)
10 - Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
9 - Tomas O'Leary (Dolphin/ Munster)
1 - Tom Court (Malone/Ulster)
2 - Sean Cronin (Leinster)
3 - Tony Buckley (Sale)
4 - Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
5 - Leo Cullen (Blackrock College/Leinster) Captain
6 - Mike McCarthy (Buccaneers/ Connacht)*
7 - Niall Ronan (Shannon/ Munster)
8 - Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution/Munster)

Replacements:
16 - Jerry Flannery (Shannon/ Munster)
17 - Marcus Horan (Shannon/Munster)
18 - John Hayes (Bruff/Munster)
19 - Mick O'Driscoll (Cork Constitution/ Munster)
20 - Kevin McLaughlin (St Mary's College/ Leinster)
21 - Isaac Boss (Terenure College/ Leinster)
22 - Felix Jones (Shannon/ Munster)

Everything in BOLD.... Why? Please, why?

That's the worst Ireland team I've seen in a while

(updated first post with it)

Latest posts