• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South African Government wants to enforce Quota system - AGAIN!!!

Well, we are back to this old chestnut!

Our Government, who has been under severe scrutiny ahead of the May General Elections, have decided that there must again be a quota system in our sporting codes:

Cricket SA and SARU have now asked to get clarity on this matter, because of the severe implications it will have on our teams and their performances.

While everybody in SA, apart from the government officials doesn't want quotas, the fat ministers, who never played sport ever in their life, now wants this system that has nothing but negativity around it.

Non-white players like Breyton Paulse, JP Duminy, Makhaya Ntini, Bryan Habana and many more have spoken openly about this topic and how they are against this plan.

Hopefully this is just a futile attempt to draw attention away from President Zuma and his Nkandla-home scandal. But even if it is very real, and quite possible, Afriforum, an independant activist group, that has a very strong following, especially with the Afrikaans-speaking community has now stepped up in a fight against the quota proposals.

I have already joined the cause, hopefully some of you will too? https://www.afriforum.co.za/sportkw...teun-vir-klagtes-internasionale-sportliggame/ (sorry if it is in Afrikaans).

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SARU-to-get-quota-clarity-20140414

Soooo, as of the 2011 census, 21% of the South African population is non-black (9% white, 9% coloured, 3% others) Does this mean that every PSL team such as the Orlando Pirates and the Kaiser Chiefs (and, of course, Bafana Bafana) are going have an imposed minimum quota of white and coloured players on their books?

No?

I thought not?

This is just racism & discrimination. Its the very thing that Madiba and Buthelezi fought so hard to put an end to.

Last edited:
Should quotas be used?

Once again the possibility of racial quotas in South African rugby has come again, the quotas, will affect all Currie Cup and Super Rugby teams, including the Springboks.

What I want to ask, is if this is a good thing for rugby as a whole, or if it is just bad in general?
Another question is, if quotas are found to be helpful, is it good to implemented them a year before the World Cup?

What do you guys think?

Also here is a link to the story if you are interested:
http://www.espn.co.uk/southafrica/rugby/story/230855.html

Last edited:
I've talked about this a lot on here, since South Africa keeps bringing it up.

I'll give you the brief version but I have much better and nuanced posts on here about it....my answers will be bolded.

What I want to ask, is if this is a good thing for rugby as a whole? Absolutely Not, or if it is just bad in general? Yep horrible idea, especially so at this high a level of play.

Another question is, if quotas are found to be helpful, They won't be helpful so this is reduntant, is it good to implemented them a year before the World Cup? This just makes it even more bat**** crazy.

Last edited:
Helpful?

Currently, teams pick the best. Because they are the best.

How could choosing someone, who isn't the best, for a reason that will have no impact on the field, be helpful?

"And we'll put O'Driscoll at 13" "Nah, mate, he's a Capricorn. We need more Pices in the lineup, find someone else"

^^equally as ridiculous.

Can never be good.

The only quota I would except is the "idiot quota", eg. not letting Ali Williams play cause he did dumb **** and gave away stupid penalties.

The South African government has this idea in their heads that sport teams should be representative of the demographics of the nation, which the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Lets take the USA for instance and some of the sports they practice. The NFL is probably about 75% black, why? Because black people in general have a big interest in it and they excel in the game and nobody cares about the racial make up of the teams because the best players get picked and the same can be said about the NHL where it's probably made up of 95% whites.

Yes I know black people were disadvantaged in the past but since '94 with most of the laws changing to benefit a certain race, a race that makes up 90% of the population to protect itself against the white minority is laughable. Almost every government office be it police, medical, service delivery etc has gone down the drain in this country. In SA it's the order of the day to reward mediocrity and incompetence!

Last edited:
I would use the term positive discrimination. Totally understand any residual anger post apartheid and the ANC clamour for more equality for blacks, but the quota method is a nonsense.

First of (as I understand it), in South Africa, football is still predominantly blacks, the working class. Rugby/cricket is still predominantly whites, the (previously ruling) middle/upper class. I can't see how it would have changed that much in only a few years, so naturally there will not be proportional representation of SA's racial demographic in each sport.

Positive discrimination is a fairytale. It doens't exist. It's a stupid word and should never be used again. It's just plain discrimination.

I feel the IRB should speak up and take a stance against the quota system.

Got to chime in and say that this type of government sponsored racism really bothers me on a deep level. I guess it isn't racist if it is white people who are discriminated against?? Agree with the above poster in that the IRB needs to step in here and show some leadership.

So this topic has been in the news yet again. And this time the CEO has gone on record to give more clarity on the matter:

South African Rugby Union (SARU) CEO Jurie Roux on Tuesday said quotas only exist in the Vodacom and Community Cup tournaments and that there were no plans to enforce it at higher levels.

A media report late last year first exposed SARU's plans for rapid transformation. The report stated that SARU wanted the Springbok team to be made up of 50% black players by 2019.

Roux on Tuesday insisted that it was never about setting specific quotas, and having 50% players of colour by 2019 was merely a target.

"There was never a quota. These are the targets that we are setting ourselves as a federation. It's a collaborative process. This is where we want to get to," said Roux.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SARU-50-blacks-merely-a-target-20150225

Hmmm...

Makes me think that somehow, the threats by Afriforum of going to the International Courts, have not fallen on deaf ears.

Yes, I've been having a good chuckle a Roux back peddling in the media trying to say racial discriminations isn't what it is. Semantics. The IRB should just go ahead and ban the Bokke again for 2019. It'd be tough to bear as a passionate Bok supporter but it'd be in line with their set principles. Not that quota's have stopped our other sports teams from participating in global competitions and I'd be surprised if it does in this case.

Yes, I've been having a good chuckle a Roux back peddling in the media trying to say racial discriminations isn't what it is. Semantics. The IRB should just go ahead and ban the Bokke again for 2019. It'd be tough to bear as a passionate Bok supporter but it'd be in line with their set principles. Not that quota's have stopped our other sports teams from participating in global competitions and I'd be surprised if it does in this case.

Well the article says that the quota system will be implemented only in Club games and the Vodacom Cup. So they are implementing a quota system at the lower levels.

Nothing like a bit of blatant institutionalized racism to start my morning.
Quotas whether they be for , blacks , whites , men , women , cats or dogs have no place in sport or indeed in any aspect of life.
The best person should be given the job in each instance regardless of what nations demographic looks like.

I'd love to see the Bokke banned by the IRB. Just to give the Government the middle finger. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing like a bit of blatant institutionalized racism to start my morning.
Quotas whether they be for , blacks , whites , men , women , cats or dogs have no place in sport or indeed in any aspect of life.
The best person should be given the job in each instance regardless of what nations demographic looks like.

The weird thing is, the government preaches human rights, and then it does this. Comical.

And what if the blacks don't like rugby ? Is the SA government going to force black people to play rugby to reach the quotas ? Totally silly !

And what if the blacks don't like rugby ? Is the SA government going to force black people to play rugby to reach the quotas ? Totally silly !

This is exactly the problem!!

Most black people don't like rugby. They don't like to watch it, or play it. They prefer Soccer (Football) ahead of rugby.

If you look at the history of the black players who have made it to the senior ranks in Rugby. Most of them were either in private schools, or at least in schools that have a strong rugby background, as well as the facilities.

The weird thing is, the government preaches human rights, and then it does this. Comical.

The sad thing is I've debated at length with individuals who claim that white people , and particularly white men cannot be the victims of racism or sexism.
Of course they were ****ing university educated femminists coming from an upper middle class backround, gifted a top quality education and yet people are coming out of universities with such ridiculous opinions.

The world is ****ed. The wave of ultra liberal Political correctness will geld us all.

The sad thing is I've debated at length with individuals who claim that white people , and particularly white men cannot be the victims of racism or sexism.
Of course they were ****ing university educated femminists coming from an upper middle class backround, gifted a top quality education and yet people are coming out of universities with such ridiculous opinions.

The world is ****ed. The wave of ultra liberal Political correctness will geld us all.

And that is the comical thing ! They are said to be the best educated in the countries, but they are soooo disconnected of reality that they are not even able to see that a quota system is the most discriminating act you could have ! They want the society to be fair by setting unfair rules ... Stupidity is governing the world !!!

You should tell those people to do a bit of research in Black Economic Empowerment (BEE). It is something that is crippling our economy. The foundation of this system is to give better incentives to people who are not White Males.

Just read this on the BBC.

Personally, I think this is ridiculous. Positive discrimination in it's finest light. Habana also doesn't count as a black player because he's mixed race, don't tell rio Ferdinand.

I'm in the thought, if you're good enough then you are picked for the team. South African rugby could suffer due to this.

Latest posts