• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Spring Tour: Australia v Wales - 3rd Test. (23/06/2012 05:00 GMT)

I don't think many/any are saying Aus are an easy game, however based on this test series they certainly look the weakest of the Trinations sides.
However being the weakest trinations side doesn't exactly make you a weak side...

Or are Wales the strongest NH side?

I don't think many/any are saying Aus are an easy game, however based on this test series they certainly look the weakest of the Trinations sides.
However being the weakest trinations side doesn't exactly make you a weak side...

Right - although I think that would change if Aus played us and SA played Wales. But Australia were seriously on offer here and nothing's been taken. All due respect to the Wallabies, they're a class act, but they're not that good that nothing should have been taken - if they were, it'd have never got so close!

Really weird thing is that we gave away so many penalties but yet no-one was carded??? Is the reffing consistency and game area priorities that different between SH and NH refs??? Normally in 6 nation 3 or 4 offenses and a yellow card is dished out. I hate seeing silly yellow cards given but there does seem a huge difference in focus. Gives games a different flavor, which is the whole point I guess. Play to the ref is always a saying I was told as a young boy, but seems extremely inconsistent.

But in the end, we didn't deserve a win in today's game. Stupid knock-ons and too many penalties. Congrats Australia. For anyone to underestimate them would be foolish. You never know what your gonna get with them, which makes them dangerous!

Biggest debate now is whether to go back to sleep :p :p hhhmmmmmm

Last edited:
Nowhere in the obstruction law does it state there must be contact. It says that a player must not "move into a position" to prevent the tackle from occuring. When 3 guys are truck and trailering downfield, the ref must pull it up.

This thinking that a player "must make contact" isn't one the ref considers. He just goes by the law and the IRB directives concerning those law.

Yeh, fair enough.

I think what Ryan Jones and Charteris were complaining about was that it was the same maul as the one Aus (legally) dragged down off the lineout, and therefore were allowed to be in front. Joubert judged that the initial maul had turned into a ruck, with a new maul formed afterwards. Close call, and one which could be considered correct either way you call it.

Nowhere in the obstruction law does it state there must be contact. It says that a player must not "move into a position" to prevent the tackle from occuring. When 3 guys are truck and trailering downfield, the ref must pull it up.

This thinking that a player "must make contact" isn't one the ref considers. He just goes by the law and the IRB directives concerning those law.

Australia broke off from the maul after it was formed, therefore Wales should have been allowed to continue:

"When players of the team who are not in possession of the ball in the maul voluntarily leave
the maul such that there are no players of that team left in the maul, the maul may continue
and there are two offside lines"

Our Locks were shocking today, Alun Wyn spilt 3 restarts in a row, Bradley Davies gave away that penalty in the 78th min, and i think it was Charteris that gave away the last three points for offside. Deserved to loose. But for a South African ref Joubert was once again awful at scrum time, he was very reluctant to penalise Aus in their own half when they were clearly ruining it.

I think thats 7 losses out of 12 within a year that we've lost by an average of about 2 points. Going forward we just need to improve our game management, the players are there and i think we've got a better bench than most so its the only thing holding us back.

I guess it's a bit of a difficult situation regarding the law interpretations. I mean, the only reason i watch the 6 nations is for Wales other than that the rugby can be utterly dire at times and that is largely because of the anal refereeing. Meanwhile the trinations has much better quality rugby, super rugby can be so and so the reffing there is a little bit too light for my liking.

For example i've enjoyed this test series more than all the games in the 6 nations put together, just talking about the rugby not the grand slam!

Maybe we should be more open and let things go form time to time

Australia broke off from the maul after it was formed, therefore Wales should have been allowed to continue:

"When players of the team who are not in possession of the ball in the maul voluntarily leave
the maul such that there are no players of that team left in the maul, the maul may continue
and there are two offside lines"

Referee judged that the initial maul was over, and a second maul had been formed. I can see why too, but could also have been considered the same maul.

I guess it's a bit of a difficult situation regarding the law interpretations. I mean, the only reason i watch the 6 nations is for Wales other than that the rugby can be utterly dire at times and that is largely because of the anal refereeing. Meanwhile the trinations has much better quality rugby, super rugby can be so and so the reffing there is a little bit too light for my liking.

For example i've enjoyed this test series more than all the games in the 6 nations put together, just talking about the rugby not the grand slam!

Maybe we should be more open and let things go form time to time

Really. If it wasn't for these games being close, with nail biting finishes, they would have been pretty poor affairs. Very few try's, loads of mistakes from both sides, and stop start affairs.

In contract the Wales v Ireland game in the 6 nations for example was of a much, much higher quality, with some great try's and a great finish.

Last edited:
What do you fellas base 'the weakest side in Trinations (now Rugby Championship) on?

Personally I think there are too many teams in Super Rugby.

I think the fact that a fair proportion of the Wallabies has been made up of the beleaguered Waratahs side speaks volumes.

What do you fellas base 'the weakest side in Trinations (now Rugby Championship) on?

Personally I think there are too many teams in Super Rugby.

I think the fact that a fair proportion of the Wallabies has been made up of the beleaguered Waratahs side speaks volumes.

Based on the last 3 weeks we've watched all three SH teams. Of the three Australia have been the worst but as said before worst of those three is still better than pretty much every other rugby playing nation.

Based on the last 3 weeks we've watched all three SH teams. Of the three Australia have been the worst but as said before worst of those three is still better than pretty much every other rugby playing nation.

Fair call. I can understand that.

Makes me wonder what you fellas in the NH are doing then (TIC) :)

I really can't pick myself up after this loss. I was p***sed off all day last saturday as well. I know in my head that Wales' mistakes was the biggest problem in this match, but some of the referee decisions towards the end are just eating at me. Going back to bed would be an option (only had 2hrs sleep), but I'd like to watch the NZ v Ireland game.

I really can't pick myself up after this loss. I was p***sed off all day last saturday as well. I know in my head that Wales' mistakes was the biggest problem in this match, but some of the referee decisions towards the end are just eating at me. Going back to bed would be an option (only had 2hrs sleep), but I'd like to watch the NZ v Ireland game.

Same, luckily last week I had the distraction of moving out and cleaning my uni house (a house of 4 lazy guys gets pretty damn horrible eventually...) my plan is currently to drown my sorrows up the pub later. I think I might blame the WRU if I become an alcoholic...

So do you guys reckon Paul James should be first choice loosehead. Jenkins hasn't really been at his best since the world cup. He seems to strengthen the scrum so much, if Hibbard had been on the bench maybe we could have squeezed out a penalty try

So do you guys reckon Paul James should be first choice loosehead. Jenkins hasn't really been at his best since the world cup. He seems to strengthen the scrum so much, if Hibbard had been on the bench maybe we could have squeezed out a penalty try

Jenkins hasn't been his best this series. Not sure James is the one to start. I still like the look of Bevington, but the coaches don't quite agree, although that could change with him being the out and out no.1 at the Ospreys next season.

Ultimately, Jenkins is by far the best we've got, just seems to be struggling a little at the end of a long season.

Jenkins hasn't exactly played a lot this season though!

I don't think Bevington is ready yet, his scrummaging isn't quite up to scratch. He might not be first choice for the Ospreys next year, Duncan Jones could be considered for the big HC games. Rhys Gill is ahead of him imo and is a very good all rounder.

I guess we're lucky to be in this position though!

Last edited:
Is this the first test Australia wins with Sitaleki Timani on the pitch?! o_O

Wallabies very lucky to come away with the win.
I felt Horne's try wasnt grounded but dropped and was surprised by the TMO's decision.
Wobblies will need to lift to compete against the AB's and Boks.

Wallabies very lucky to come away with the win.
I felt Horne's try wasnt grounded but dropped and was surprised by the TMO's decision.
Wobblies will need to lift to compete against the AB's and Boks.

With the newer rules about grounding the ball, that was a legitimate try. Don't even need control of the ball any more, or downwards pressure, just need contact. So perfectly good try, although he was lucky he didn't lose control of the ball.