• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Spring Tour: New Zealand vs Ireland - 2nd Test. (16/6/2012, 07:35 GMT)

big ginger 8

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
IRB.png

Rugby League Park, Christchurch (16/06/2012, 07:35 GMT)

New%20Zealand.png
Versus%20Magners.png
Ireland.png

Referee: Nigel Owens (Wales)
Assistant Referees: Romain Poite, Pascal Gauzere (both France)
Television Match Official: Matt Goddard (Australia)
[TABLE="class: cms_table_grid, width: 360, align: center"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="align: center"]New Zealand[/TD]
[TD="align: center"][/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Ireland[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Israel Dagg[/TD]
[TD]15[/TD]
[TD]Rob Kearney
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Zac Guildford[/TD]
[TD]14[/TD]
[TD]Fergus McFadden
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Conrad Smith[/TD]
[TD]13[/TD]
[TD]Brain O'Driscoll (c)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Sonny Bill Williams[/TD]
[TD]12[/TD]
[TD]Gordon D'Arcy
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Julian Savea[/TD]
[TD]11[/TD]
[TD]Andrew Trimble
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Daniel Carter[/TD]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD]Jonathan Sexton
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Aaron Smith[/TD]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD]Conor Murray
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Kieran Read[/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]Jamie Heaslip
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Richie McCaw (c)[/TD]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]Sean O'Brien
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Adam Thomson[/TD]
[TD]6[/TD]
[TD]Kevin McLaughlin
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Samuel Whitelock[/TD]
[TD]5[/TD]
[TD]Donnacha Ryan
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Brodie Retallick[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]Dan Touhy
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Owen Franks[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD]Mike Ross
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Andrew Hore[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]Rory Best
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Tony Woodcock[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]Cian Healy
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Hikawera Elliot[/TD]
[TD]16[/TD]
[TD]Sean Cronin
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ben Franks[/TD]
[TD]17[/TD]
[TD]Declan Fitzpatrick
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ali Williams[/TD]
[TD]18[/TD]
[TD]Donncha O'Callaghan
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Sam Cane[/TD]
[TD]19[/TD]
[TD]Peter O'Mahony
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Piri Weepu[/TD]
[TD]20[/TD]
[TD]Eoin Reddan
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Aaron Cruden[/TD]
[TD]21[/TD]
[TD]Ronan O'Gara
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ben Smith[/TD]
[TD]22[/TD]
[TD]Simon Zebo
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Why are we calling them Spring tests? June isn't Spring.

Anyway I'm really hoping Hansen experiments a bit more or at least puts Weepu at 9 and we play a stronger side. Chances are we be without Healy, Fitzpatrick and Ross which would really screw us up. So here's my team.

1. Healy/Wilkinson
2. Cronin (I'd like Best to get a bit of a rest, Cronin ads more dynamism and I want him to fully prove he's fixed his throwing)
3. Ross/Fitzpatrick/Loughney
4. Tuohy
5. Ryan
6. O'Brien
7. Henry (PO'M din't really do anything wrong but if Henry's fit I'd like him to get a go)
8. Heaslip
9. Reddan
10 Sexton
11. Earls
12. Cave
13. O'Driscoll (left and right on attack BO'D at 12 on defense)
14. Trimble
15. Kearney

16. Sherry
17 Fitzpatrick/ Loughney/ anyone but Archer preferably Hagan
18. McCarthy
19. O'Mahony
20. Marshall (I'd like him to get a go at least)
21. O'Gara (wish we had Madigan in the squad)
22. McFadden

Last edited by a moderator:
Great that the seasons are more conversation worthy than the match. My last comment on the seasons "Winter is coming".

I hope Ireland can beat them this time around, or at least keep things way more competitive.

can't we just call them June Internationals? Though I have no objection to pictures of girls running around in the snow with very little on...

back onto this test. I thought the Irish had a real shot at winning this last game really they did not get their game plan right or put enough pressure on where they needed. I think now they are in serious danger of getting a thrashing next weekend, because I think for sure the All Blacks have another Gear they can shift too. The new players will keep improving and some changes could come to make the side stronger. So the Irish really need to find two more Gears and really lift in a big way. They simply did not streatch the AB's - their only try came from a mistake when the AB's were hot on attack.

Changes for the AB's? I think they will make changes, I think it would be a goal for the coaches that all 30-31 (Mealamu included) players get game time.

Vito is out so Thomson will start and Cane will come to the bench.

You would have to think that Nonu will be involved, either on the bench or starting in which case SBW will likely go to the bench. Nonu isn't more of a threat than SBW and isn't as good on defense as SBW but he is a different threat all together - even mroe so in a scenario where he is under selection pressure. You would have to think that a couple weeks off and being in the AB training camp will get the best out of Nonu.

I'd also like to see Ben Smith Start on the wing.

We may also see Ali Williams start and Romano make the 22. Though I would like to see Retalick continue and get time to establish himself The Whitlock/Retalick Combo just has an element of pure class about it and the potential to be world dominating for many years.

The fact they have 5 props in the squad suggests that we will see front row changes, though the combo used last weekend was clearly the #1 selection I reckon Tameifuna and Crockett will get involved at some point. If only to share the workload so the top guys don't get overworked before going back to super rugby.

Guess we will find out first thing Thursday morning :)

Last edited:
Did Gilroy run over Kidney's dog or something?

With a tractor with spiked wheels :lol:

In fairness, Earls was the only FB cover there, and Gilroy's not exactly an expert there...

What about Dave Kearney? I would've thought he'd be up near the top of the list and has experience of playing FB.

Then again, Kidney wants what Kidney wants.

back onto this test. I thought the Irish had a real shot at winning this last game really they did not get their game plan right or put enough pressure on where they needed. I think now they are in serious danger of getting a thrashing next weekend, because I think for sure the All Blacks have another Gear they can shift too. The new players will keep improving and some changes could come to make the side stronger. So the Irish really need to find two more Gears and really lift in a big way. They simply did not streatch the AB's - their only try came from a mistake when the AB's were hot on attack.

TRF_nickdnz likes this.

I'd also like to see Ben Smith Start on the wing.

if your going to have both on the field i think dagg on the wing and smith at full back is a stronger combo than the other way around. i would rather see smith bringing it up from the back and unleashing dagg. i think smith plays better with some space where as dagg is equally good where ever he is

Vito definitely out, with Read also in doubt after a head knock (http://tvnz.co.nz/all-blacks/look-add-loose-forward-cover-4922797). It sounds like they are looking at adding another loosie to the squad, which I would guess would be Messam. If Read is out it will be interesting to see what they do: one option would be to go with 6. Thomson, 7. Cane, 8. McCaw, though it is possible they may bring someone like Messam straight into the starting lineup at no. 8 (with Thomson and McCaw on the flanks) and give Cane his debut off the bench...

Got the impression from an interview with Hansen that he may not be that keen on the rotation policy as Henry was. Injuries will mean that there will be some juggling on the back row, if Messam is called up then he will be champing at the bit. Messam has had a great season with the Cheifs and would be the natural selection for cover to 6 and 8.

What about Dave Kearney? I would've thought he'd be up near the top of the list and has experience of playing FB.

Then again, Kidney wants what Kidney wants.

Well, yeah... didn't like to say it... but yes, that'd be an interesting non-conservative option.

Vito definitely out, with Read also in doubt after a head knock (http://tvnz.co.nz/all-blacks/look-add-loose-forward-cover-4922797). It sounds like they are looking at adding another loosie to the squad, which I would guess would be Messam. If Read is out it will be interesting to see what they do: one option would be to go with 6. Thomson, 7. Cane, 8. McCaw, though it is possible they may bring someone like Messam straight into the starting lineup at no. 8 (with Thomson and McCaw on the flanks) and give Cane his debut off the bench...

McCaw can play 8?

in the interest of blooding a replacement for Richie i would go with McCaw at 8 and cane at 7. if you cant field the best team due to injury then they should make the most of it and build for the future. i dont rate the idea of bring guys in and them leap frogging other who have been in the squad from the start. cover should come onto the bench

McCaw can play 8?

He can play while wearing a jersey with an 8 on the back ;)

He has played a few matches for Canterbury and the Crusaders over the years at 8, and covered there at times for the AB's (don't think he has had any starts though). He is certainly not a genuine number 8 by any means, but would do a solid job in the position (he would probably only pack at 8 on attacking scrums, with Thomson at 8 on defensive scrums...).

Latest posts