• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Spring Tour: New Zealand vs Ireland - 2nd Test. (16/6/2012, 07:35 GMT)

In all fairness that just applies to certain countries and certain stadiums... in others, it's usually better to play at night as the conditions becomes better.

I said rugby was "NEVER meant to be played at night". By that I mean rugby was invented at a time when there was no electricity. Thomas Edison didn't even invent the light bulb until 1879, and the first floodlit sports ground weren't in regular use until the 1930's, so until then, it was simply an impossibility.

When was the last time we saw a Tri Nations test in South Africa under flood lights. I can't even recall one; ever. I don't recall ever getting up at 6am for a Tri nations test, it always 2:30 to 3:30. All of the June tests are daytime, the Lions tour was daytime as well.

Last edited:
I'm not too worried. If rugby tests were earlier on a Saturday, I may miss them while I'm actually playing rugby. Ideally it would be mid day on a Sunday.

I get why the tests are at the time slot that they're on though. New Zealand has four million people. South Africa has nearly 50 million. They don't need their tests to be viewed by others in order to get a massive profit. Same with all of Europe. Sadly we have to accomidate others in order for our tests to generate the kind of money they do. It's not ideal but it's reality. One of the few concession we can make and to an extent we have made, is Super Rugby against Australian teams being earlier (been a few 5:30pm games on a Sunday). I wouldn't mind some afternoon tests against Australia either.

In a perfect world our timezone wouldn't be vastly different from Europe/South Africa, but because it is and we want their money, we just have to accept it.

The sum total I get from that - "we were nearly beaten by a side because we got a bit cold".

Oh dear.

I recall Manchester United once playing terrible in a grey kit. The excuse rolled out by Ferguson was the players could not see each other. Prehaps playing in black at night is not a good idea either.

You're pretty wrong then ;)

Southampton won 3-1.

Ah great is it the one where they changed a half times though cause I nearly certain they won that one. Few years ago I'd have known every little detail about United. Then rugby turned me.

Ah great is it the one where they changed a half times though cause I nearly certain they won that one. Few years ago I'd have known every little detail about United. Then rugby turned me.

3 down at half time, changed kit at half time, lost 3-1.

I'm surprised they were allowed to change their kit when they wouldn't have been allowed to play on without the ball being kicked down to the goalie if someone on the pitch gets touched in the face or a ball rolls on from the other side of the pitch.

Because in Cricket heavy wet rainy conditions make it really tough to play (e.g. ball wont bounce of the pitch etc) where as Rugby you can still play. You just have to adjust.

Did I really need to answer that?...

My point here Sam was that it was in the fog, and it was complete bull. The players could hardly see and it was "really tough to play" and it was a poor game to watch, and even worse because it was the Final. Yes you can still adjust, but at the end of the day, the game was robbed from the television audience, the spectators at the stadium and of course the players..

My point here Sam was that it was in the fog, and it was complete bull. The players could hardly see and it was "really tough to play" and it was a poor game to watch, and even worse because it was the Final. Yes you can still adjust, but at the end of the day, the game was robbed from the television audience, the spectators at the stadium and of course the players..

Oh yep I remember that game. Really misty that night. The worst final Ive ever barely seen.

Didn't someone get knocked out in that game, but it was too misty for the medical staff to see, so when they woke up they played on with a massive concussion?
Possibly Piri Weepu.

Latest posts