• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Spring Tour: South Africa - England - 1st Test (09/06/2012, 16:00 GMT)

Agree with Badgena, it's basically a complete waste of time for England , good for the Southern barbarians who will have something to tell their grandchildren about perhaps but otherwise meh.

This is the situation: England are bringing back a number of players who have either been out injured or unavailable. Some of these players would probably be first choice in the test team, such as Danny Care at 9, James Haskell (probably on the bench). There's also guys like Anthony Allen, Christian Wade, Paul Doran-Jones, Joe Gray, Thomas Waldrom etc who need a big game as they should be pushing to make a Test 22, but how can you go about proving that on the basis of this game? I just think it doesn't give much back to England in return for the liklihood that a couple of guys will pick up injuries. It's more favourable to South Africa than England

Still watch it mind! That backling in contrast to the team we put out on saturday has superb distribution skills with Hodgson, Allen, and then the lightning quick Wade.

Is the Barbarians game televised?
Is just presumed it wasn't.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

Is the Barbarians game televised?
Is just presumed it wasn't.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

Yep, 1.30 on sky sports for presumably 2 pm kickoff.

EDIT: Just saw Guscott's questions for the week. For the most part I think Guscott is a moron who has surprisingly banal opinions abotu rugby considering he was very good himself. However in this instance he agreed with the Flood - Tuilagi(at 12) - Joseph thesis. Pleasantly surprised by this.

However, this was prettty much cancelled out by his advocating for Alex goode at full-back, with Foden still on the wing. Silly silly.

The other thing i actually agree with that he said is the need to have more forwards who actually carry as well as tackle. BadGena referred to this, although I think overstated it abit. Basically our back-row has been geared towards a defensive game and Morgan is our only real ball-carrier.
Especially now I've seen the Southern Baa baas team I really wish haskell wasnt't playing and could be brought in for the 2nd test at 6. He can a) tackle b) be a nuisance in the loose and c) carry a bit (although he should be better at this considering the way he's built)
he's been playing SUperrugby so I doubt he's seriously off the pace - I guess the argument would be that he's missed 3 games through suspension.

Last edited:
100% agreed that this articular midweek match has no value to anyone bar the players in the SA S barb's team.

The big pity is that the return of the mid-weeks is such a great step in the right direction- at least it is for me personally- that this just seems like an opportunity lost for a classic game of rugby. It would already have been 200% better if the side was an actual side whether club, big 5 provincial B, smaller provincial union (how awesome would the Griquas having a go have been!?!) or varsity team with an actual identity rather than some BS invitational team.

The English Rugby Team visited a Soweto Orphanage today. "It was heartbreaking and sad to see their little faces without any hope..." Said Sipho, age 6.

lol u crazy

Wonder where is Bolla Conradie, think he would have been able to compete at least

Bolla actually has a Springbok cap, didn't play too bad either that game.

He played even more than once. I think he has almost 20 caps. He was picked behind FdP a lot before Pienaar showed up. Last I heard he played for the Pumas

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Bolla was in the Stormers pre season training group, sure he is still with Boland. Probably injured

**EDIT**

Stormers impressed with Bolla

By Just For Kicks, on 13 January 2012, at 9:38 am
Stormers coach Allister Coetzee has hinted at using the services of their former Springbok scrumhalf Bolla Conradie in the Super Rugby tournament.
Sport24
Sport24 reported at the end of last year that Conradie was in the Stormers' pre-season plans but most did not expect the 33-year-old to make the final cut for the tournament proper.
Dewaldt Duvenage is the hot favourite to start at No 9, with Nick Groom and Louis Schreuder seemingly next in the pecking order.
However, it seems as though Conradie has impressed Coetzee thus far in their pre-season preparations and he could be used ahead of Groom and/or Schreuder.
Conradie's 223 first class appearances may give him the nod over the youngsters Groom and Schreuder, who have a combined first class tally of only 43.
"We have to develop the young guys, but pressure situations could develop where experience can help a lot," Coetzee told Die Burger newspaper.
"Bolla had a good season last year at Boland. If he meets our fitness standards and his form is good, he will get the opportunity to play for the Stormers."
Conradie last played for the Stormers against the Reds at Newlands in 2009. He has captained Boland the last two seasons after falling out of favour at Western Province. The Stormers are currently in Hermanus on a pre-season camp.

Last edited:

Latest posts