• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Springbok issues

That's certainly an interesting negotiating position from Goosen! In other news, UK rugby commentators on the Glasgow match just now say Glasgow Warriors are completely confident Rennie is coming to them for next season as per their agreement

Feels like there's more to this than mets the eye

There is a lot more to this story than what is being reported so far.

From what I've read and heard, it's Goosen's wife/gf/significant other that is the driving force behind this decision and that she wants to return home and go back to the farm.

I also read that Racing is taking Goosen to court over his decision, but I wonder what will be the outcome. Plenty of players retire on a yearly basis, and it begs the question as to what grounds Racing will be sueing Goosen for?

The other thing is what will happen after the court case? Will Goosen really retire? or will he just lie low for a while, and then return to rugby after six months or so?

Academic point but Scotland win or draw tomorrow against France and SA drop to 7th in IRB rankings - the lowest they have ever been since rankings started in 2003

Okay,

So SARU has finally responded, to what was probably the worst kept secret in SA Rugby.

That AC will remain as Springbok coach:

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Springboks/confirmed-coetzee-remains-springbok-coach-20170227

[TEXTAREA]SA Rugby National team coaching and management staffs:

Springboks

Head Coach: Allister Coetzee

Assistant Coaches: Johann van Graan, Matthew Proudfoot, Franco Smith

Team Manager: Ian Schwartz

Conditioning Coach: Warren Adams

Team Doctors: Jerome Mampane and Konrad von Hagen

Physiotherapists: Vivian Verwant and Tanu Pillay

PR Manager: Annelee Murray

Logistics Manager: JJ Fredericks

Media Manager: Rayaan Adriaanse

Defence coach: TBC[/TEXTAREA]

Any hints / news on the next bok captain ?

Well these are the guys that have been called up to the first training camp that is next week:

41-man Springbok training squad:

Nizaam Carr, Uzair Cassiem, Damian de Allende, Lood de Jager, Faf de Klerk, Ruan Dreyer, Jean-Luc du Plessis, Pieter-Steph du Toit, Joseph Dweba*, Eben Etzebeth, Warrick Gelant*, Lizo Gqoboka, Hanro Liebenberg*, Travis Ismaiel, Rohan Janse van Rensburg, Elton Jantjies, Siya Kolisi, Jaco Kriel, Jesse Kriel, Wilco Louw*, Frans Malherbe, Lionel Mapoe, Malcolm Marx, Bongi Mbonambi, Teboho Mohoje, Franco Mostert, Ox Nche*, Sikhumbuzo Notshe, Trevor Nyakane, Rudy Page, Sergeal Petersen, Handré Pollard, Raymond Rhule, Seabelo Senatla, Jan Serfontein, RG Snyman, Jamba Ulengo, Armand van der Merwe, Piet van Zyl, Francois Venter, Warren Whiteley

The ones with * are uncapped players.

If we lose the home series to France he goes.. Or so we will be led to think.

Well these are the guys that have been called up to the first training camp that is next week:

Nizaam Carr, Uzair Cassiem, Damian de Allende, Lood de Jager, Faf de Klerk, Ruan Dreyer, Jean-Luc du Plessis, Pieter-Steph du Toit, Joseph Dweba*, Eben Etzebeth, Warrick Gelant*, Lizo Gqoboka, Hanro Liebenberg*, Travis Ismaiel, Rohan Janse van Rensburg, Elton Jantjies, Siya Kolisi, Jaco Kriel, Jesse Kriel, Wilco Louw*, Frans Malherbe, Lionel Mapoe, Malcolm Marx, Bongi Mbonambi, Teboho Mohoje, Franco Mostert, Ox Nche*, Sikhumbuzo Notshe, Trevor Nyakane, Rudy Page, Sergeal Petersen, Handré Pollard, Raymond Rhule, Seabelo Senatla, Jan Serfontein, RG Snyman, Jamba Ulengo, Armand van der Merwe, Piet van Zyl, Francois Venter, Warren Whiteley

What constitutes a cap in the above? Because Notshe and Sergeal Petersen haven't played for the Boks. Only the A side.

Yeah but does not really give us much becuase the Sharks are not being considered for they are on tour , i think the bok team will mostly look the same as last year .

Brendan Ventner was announced prematurely in Europe as leaving Italy to join the Springboks as defensive coach. But that announcement has been walked back pending contractual wrangles (you'll need to buy out his contract from the FIR and his price just went up with his performance in London!). Apologies if this is already common knowledge.

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/springboks-secure-smiths-signature/

So they got rid of Stick brought in Smith and haven't got a clue who to bring in to coach defence.

Is that it?
Really?

I guess the boks will be dropping in rankinga this year again maybe 8 th at the end of the year

Well lets hope it is Venter that will come in as defense coach, because this area is by far the biggest problem the Boks are sitting with. Coetzee will sit with two better and more experienced assistants in Smith(attack) and Venter(defense). If we lose against France in June, I'm afraid that will be it for Coetzee.

Last edited:
Well lets hope it is Venter that will come in as defense coach, because this area is by far the biggest problem the Boks are sitting with. Coetzee will sit with two better and more experienced assistants in Smith(attack) and Venter(defense). If we lose against France in June, I'm afraid that will be it for Coetzee.

The only thing now is that if we win by only 1 point or so AC will stay on as coach and take all the credit... we should realy win all 3 comfortably with the talent we have...

New quota figures revealed.

https://businesstech.co.za/news/lif...as-for-sa-rugby-cricket-and-netball-revealed/

The document forecasts that 60% of full-time staff will be black South Africans by 2018.
The document forecasts that 45% of national players (male) will be black South Africans by 2018.
The document forecasts that 80% of national players (female) will be black South Africans by 2018.
The document forecasts that 60% of nationally accredited coaches will be black South Africans by 2018.

I guess the govt aren't really listening to anybody then - just hellbent on achieving their discriminatory targets irrespective of the cost to national interests.

The citizens of South Africa do not have true equality & by implication nor do they have true freedom. You cannot have one absolute without the other Now they will take your pride.

That's pretty much how oppression works.

Last edited:
Black includes "Coloured" so that means that the governement want 6 or 7 out of 15 or 9 or 10 out of 22 to be black or coloured. Not unachievable, although I don't agree with the targets. I am of the view that if the springboks players and staff were picked purely on merit then they would be the 2nd best team in the world after the all blacks. I am amazed the IRB stand for it.

After Wales beat Ireland last night - SA are now 7th on IRB Rankings.
A new all time low!

Latest posts