TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
WALES SQUAD
Backs: Mike Phillips (Bayonne), Lloyd Williams (Cardiff Blues), Rhys Webb (Ospreys), Rhys Preistland (Scarlets), James Hook (Perpignan), Jamie Roberts (Cardiff Blues), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Gavin Henson (Cardiff Blues), Ashley Beck (Ospreys), George North (Scarlets), Leigh Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Harry Robinson (Cardiff Blues), Liam Williams (Scarlets), Lee Bryne (Clermont Auvergne)
Forwards: Craig Mitchell (Exeter Chiefs), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Ryan Bevington (Ospreys), Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Paul James (Ospreys), Rhys Gill (Saracens), Rhodri Jones (Scarlets), Matthew Rees (Scarlets), Huw Bennett (Ospreys), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Bradley Davies (Cardiff Blues), Ian Evans (Ospreys), Lou Reed (Scarlets), Ryan Jones (Ospreys), Dan Lydiate (Newport Gwent Dragons), Sam Warburton (capt, Cardiff Blues), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Toby Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons), Andy Powell (Sale Sharks).

Squad announcement around lunchtime tomorrow, stay tuned here for the players selected.

Last edited:
is it actually a 30 man squad? i would imagine if this is the training squad we could be looking at 40 players maybe to go to poland, then see who makes the cut?

I'd imagine they already know who they want, as the tournament is only two weeks away, so they'll need to be working on combinations/starting XV rather than trimming down a squad.

WALES SQUAD
Backs: Mike Phillips (Bayonne), Lloyd Williams (Cardiff Blues), Rhys Webb (Ospreys), Rhys Preistland (Scarlets), James Hook (Perpignan), Jamie Roberts (Cardiff Blues), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Gavin Henson (Cardiff Blues), Ashley Beck (Ospreys), George North (Scarlets), Leigh Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Harry Robinson (Cardiff Blues), Liam Williams (Scarlets), Lee Bryne (Clermont Auvergne)

Forwards: Craig Mitchell (Exeter Chiefs), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Ryan Bevington (Ospreys), Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Paul James (Ospreys), Rhys Gill (Saracens), Rhodri Jones (Scarlets), Matthew Rees (Scarlets), Huw Bennett (Ospreys), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Bradley Davies (Cardiff Blues), Ian Evans (Ospreys), Lou Reed (Scarlets), Ryan Jones (Ospreys), Dan Lydiate (Newport Gwent Dragons), Sam Warburton (capt, Cardiff Blues), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Toby Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons), Andy Powell (Sale Sharks).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/16611388.stm

Last edited:
Happy to see Powell in there, however I can't see him playing much (maybe 60mins vs Italy).

Think Beck could find himself a starter/first choice by the end of the 6N if he keeps his form up.

Last edited:
Can't complain too much about that squad tbh. Peel missing out is possibly the biggest talking point, but Webb has been in good form recently. I'm glad that Scott Andrews isn't in the squad, simply nowhere neer the standard required. Mitchell seems to be doing well at Exeter, part of a strong scrum over there. Nice to see Rhodri Jones make it, very promising player.

Looks like Hook will only be viewed as a fly-half from now on, and with Tovey and Biggar's form up and down, Matthew Morgan not yet ready and Stephen Jones completely off form, this was the only real option. This does beg the question as to why Mattew Morgan wasn't included in the U20 squad, unless he'll join up with them now the O's know Biggar will be available to them.

Nice to see Harry Robinson there. Gatland showing once again that he has more vision than the idiots in charge at the region (same goes for the Henson scenario). It beggars belief that the Blues still haven't given Robinson a genuine chance. As for their obsession with Gavin Evans, does anyone think that he even entered the thoughts of Gatland and co? No, because he's a sub-par player!

So overall, that's a strong squad. Probably the strongest front row we've had in a long, long time (great to see Ken Owens there). Second-row is a bit thin on the ground with Alun-Wyn and Charteris missing, but having a fit and firing Ian Evans is great to see. Back-row is getting better and better. In the backs, we've got an over-abundance of centres, and it's gonna be tough for Gatland to drop one of them. Shane Williams retiring has left us a little short on the wing, but there are players coming through, as evidenced by Harry's inclusion. Halfpenny's continued awesome form at fullback is another great thing to see.

I have to say, I consider myself reasonably well clued up on Welsh rugby, and there is still invariably a player in every squad I've never heard of. Such as Harry Robinson. Tell me about him.

Harry Robinson is like a child really, a bundle of energy. He's not a 6'4" monster like North or Cuthbert, but he packs a serious punch never the less, and loves to roam the pitch looking for work. Was playing U20 last season, and was a big hit. He's played a few games for the Blues, and impressed me very much. Great prospect imo.

Harry Robinson is a good prospect. no doubt he wont get any game time. although he may get a run against Italy. does need more game time at the Blues. he doenst even feature on there website as a player, which shows how little minutes he has had. when i have seen him play i was a bit worried by his size but didn't seem out of his depth. he looked tiny but he was standing between roberts and cuthbert probably understandable. according to Cardiff RFC website he is 5'10" 12st 13lbs compared to Shane's stats on the ospreys website 5' 7" 12st 8lbs so we can't say he's to small.

He'll have no problem with his size, because despite being reletively small, he's extremely powerful. I'd liken him to Richard Mustoe in that sense, much, much more powerful than he looks. Being short of wingers, I wouldn't be surprised to see Robinson get some gametime against Italy.

Provided he comes through training OK, I'd personally rather see Harry Robinson start against Ireland than Cuthbert. Whenever I see the lad play, I want to see more. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of him- Far less clumsy than Cuthbert and more of a lively threat, although I'm not Wales coach for a reason.

Otherwise, quite glad Rhys Gill and Webb have been picked, as their on form, although I reckon Lou Reed is the only real error in the squad- On no real notable form, whereas Shingler, Day and Adam Jones are playing well around him. (Though Adam Jones really shouldn't be picked).

Oh yeh, Shingler's missing. I'm not sure if Shingler should be seen as a second-row though, not big enough imo. Still think he could have been included in the training squad though for experience. Adam Jones (the lock) is too old to be considered now. He's 32, and a bit rubbish tbh. Maybe Day could have been ahead of Reed,not sure really.

What I'm intrested in seeing is how playing in France has helped Phillips, Hook and Byrne. Byrne especially as his form for Wales has been a tad dodgy as of late

Pretty pleased with the squad, except for Lou Reed. Day has been the better of the two, IMHO. Also, I would rather see Shingler in over Powell, but Powell's ability to cover 8 is a benefit.
Not really surprised with Robinson, he should give it a good shot if he has the opportunity.
'

A squad that has been really picked on merit. Good to see Harry Robinson there, a nippy character who should develop into a future international. Gutted for Peel as always. Webb is ok he can be brillaint at times and rubbish another. It's a good squad with a chance for some to prove their international credentials.

im not looking forward to the 6 nations now ...

Last edited:
As much as people are going to hate me for saying it, Henson to start. It is pretty apparent that while Foxy and Jaw are both very good players, they just cannot play well together. Henson offers a real second five option and will be able to put our 13 into space. Back three is the biggest debate. Byrne's form has been decent, but not exactly outstanding, and Halfpenny is without a doubt our best fullback. Do we put Byrne on the wing to have some cover there, over Cuthbert/Robinson? It would be a slap in the face of our wings.

I will go with: Halfpenny, North, Roberts/DaviesJJV, Henson, Cuthbert, Priestland, Phillips; Jenkins, ReesM, JonesAR, DaviesBS, EvansIR, Lydiate, Warburton, Faletau; Bennett, James, JonesRP, Tipuric, WilliamsLD, Hook, Byrne

A squad that has been really picked on merit. Good to see Harry Robinson there, a nippy character who should develop into a future international. Gutted for Peel as always. Webb is ok he can be brillaint at times and rubbish another. It's a good squad with a chance for some to prove their international credentials.

I disagree, a squad with merit would have Dwayne Peel, much better than Webb who is very inconsistent and as Draggs often says can't string two games toghether, but Gatland seems to have had enough with the constant battling with PRL that goes with Peel, Powell and Mitchell have managed to get selected despite that though, strange

apart from that not many complaints, I don't mind Rhodri Jones and Harry Robinson in the squad for experience, but I would rather they would both start playing more regional rugby before they start international matches, I haven't seen much of either and don't know whether they are good, but Rhys Thomas (who is not great) is keeping Jones out of the Scarlets side, and James/Czekaj/Mustoe are all preferred ahead of Robinson, maybe being selected for Wales will encourage Burnell/Davies to give them a go although that didn't work for Prydie and K Phillips

I'm not critising Robinson, but surely if he is good enough for the Wales squad he's good enough to be selected ahead of Mustoe etc, anyway we'll see, I hope he will be a useful alternative to picking two giants on the wing

as for Henson, I think a camp in Poland would do him some good, but I will be annoyed if he gets selected ahead of Scott Williams, Davies or Beck after three matches where he's done just okay, whilst particularly the latter has been on good form all season, and the other two had decent World Cup's

@Dullonien: I agree good that Andrews didn't get another call up

also Dullonien can you answer these questions?

has Rhodri Jones faced up well against many international standard front rows in his short career so far? or at least done better than Andrews

how many of the following do you think should be starting at their regions? Rhodri Jones, Prydie, K Phillips, Harry Robinson

Latest posts