• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales Six Nations Squad 2012

We can't bench Henson, simply because on almost every situation he has been benched, we have lost.
Who says I am careful?

Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Why do we always get so many injuries at this point! Have we lost Lydiate as well?

Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Why do we always get so many injuries at this point! Have we lost Lydiate as well?

I know, everything looked ok on the injury front untill the last weekend of fixtures. Lydiate and Priestland are both a doubt for the Ireland match, and knowing our luck both won't make it.

Gethin's a big loss, but is one we can cover quite easily. I'm not sure how well we can over the other two. Ryan and Hook can come in quite easily, but that then leaves some big holes on the bench. I'm not sure I'd feel atall comfortable with Henson our only cover for 10 on the bench, not after what happened in 2006 (?).

Worst case scenario, and nobody recovers (So that's Priestland, Lydiate, Byrne and Roberts, as well as Geth, AWJ and Charteris) I'd pick-

1. Paul James
2. Matthew Rees
3. Adam Jones
4. Bradley Davies
5. Ian Evans
6. Ryan Jones
7. Sam Warburton (c)
8. Toby Faletau

9. Mike Phillips
10. James Hook
11. Harry Robinson? (I want him to play, but Cuthbert's probably the safer and more sensible pick)
12. Ashley Beck
13. Jonathan Davies
14. George North
15. Leigh Halfpenny

I'd go with the same DuncTheDoodle, although I'd start Bevington with James on the bench.

If Byrne is fit I would be tempted to start him.
Halfpenny is in such great form, I'd rather him start at 15. Byrne to wing?
Have to start Henson, honestly. He offers a relief playmaker at 12 over Davies/Beck.

Bevington starts, James on the bench, like Dull said.

Byrne on the wing is a shout actually. Played there against the Pacific Isles and I'd prefer him there to full back atm.

Byrne on the wing is a shout actually. Played there against the Pacific Isles and I'd prefer him there to full back atm.

Possibly. I think we should take the slightly bigger risk and go with Cuthbert though. He's a genuine finisher, I think both of his try's on the weekend showed that. Can make mistakes, but I'd back him to put away a half-chance if one became available. I feel that is important from your wings. Shane always knew his way to the try line, North certainly does, and I think Cuthbert does aswell.

Possibly. I think we should take the slightly bigger risk and go with Cuthbert though. He's a genuine finisher, I think both of his try's on the weekend showed that. Can make mistakes, but I'd back him to put away a half-chance if one became available. I feel that is important from your wings. Shane always knew his way to the try line, North certainly does, and I think Cuthbert does aswell.

A massive knock on which the referee somehow failed to see shows another thing about him, his handling skills are crap ;)

I agree he's a good finisher, but he's lacking general ball skills department, seems to drop the ball half the time he's passed it

Why the Paul James hate? Byrne won't start on the wing, although we could pull a New Zealand and use two fullbacks instead of a two wings and a fullback. I agree with the Duck, Cuthbert's hands are shocking and certainly not good enough for international rugby, although Gatland & Co turned Adam Jones into a fitness machine and Charteris into more than a lineout jumper, so nothing's impossible.

Why the Paul James hate? Byrne won't start on the wing, although we could pull a New Zealand and use two fullbacks instead of a two wings and a fullback. I agree with the Duck, Cuthbert's hands are shocking and certainly not good enough for international rugby, although Gatland & Co turned Adam Jones into a fitness machine and Charteris into more than a lineout jumper, so nothing's impossible.
Where is that? I'm not sure where you are getting that. What most have said is that Bevington offers more around the field. James is the better scrummager, so you have two good choice there.

i think what we people are getting at is that Paul James offers more from the bench, and if the is an injury to adam, it would be better to have him come on freh at tight head rather than moving over partway through the game.

Where is that? I'm not sure where you are getting that. What most have said is that Bevington offers more around the field. James is the better scrummager, so you have two good choice there.
I just feel that Paul James has put in enough hard work to have earnt his place as Gethin's natural stand-in. I agree Bevington's a more dynamic prop, but I think a dominant scrum comes first, and the added nonsense second, and Bevvers probably isn't an international-standard scrummager yet. I think Bevington works better as a bench, option, personally, as he comes on looknig to prove a point and carry the ball hard, rather than playing 80 minutes and spreading it out- Warburton use to speak of doing the same before he was our first-choice 7.

i think what we people are getting at is that Paul James offers more from the bench, and if the is an injury to adam, it would be better to have him come on freh at tight head rather than moving over partway through the game.

That's exactly as I see it. There's not much between Bevington (who's underrated by many, and probably overrated by me) and James. At a push, I'd probably say that James is still slightly the better player. It's just that having Bevington start and James on the bench makes the most sense, mainly because of the reason you (and I've previously) stated.

I would not rule out Rhys Gill starting at loosehead either. Has strung some good games for Saracens this year.

I just feel that Paul James has put in enough hard work to have earnt his place as Gethin's natural stand-in. I agree Bevington's a more dynamic prop, but I think a dominant scrum comes first, and the added nonsense second, and Bevvers probably isn't an international-standard scrummager yet. I think Bevington works better as a bench, option, personally, as he comes on looknig to prove a point and carry the ball hard, rather than playing 80 minutes and spreading it out- Warburton use to speak of doing the same before he was our first-choice 7.

Fair point, I don't disagree. With Lydiate probably not starting, we will need someone to help pick up his work and I figured that Bevington could help offset this. As Stoney and Dull have stated though, James can cover both sides and would be better taking over from there instead of starting and then having to switch.

Stephen Jones called up.

Wales have called Stephen Jones out to their RBS Six Nations training camp in Poland.
The 104-times capped Scarlets fly-half arrives in the Olympic training village in Gdansk as Perpignan pivot James Hook leaves to make himself available for the French club this weekend.
Jones provides extra training cover in the fly-half position and is available for full training from today (Friday).
At this stage Blues prop Gethin Jenkins remains the only player in head coach Warren Gatland's, now 36-man, training squad ruled out of the Six Nations opener against Ireland a week on Sunday.

WRU Media

Not exactly a progressive step, eh? Still, I guess when you're carrying as many injuries as you guys are it makes sense to bring in a bit of experience. I have pretty fond memories of Stephen Jones playing against us too :p

More than you could know! Love the way he chucks the ball at ROG after the try.

Latest posts