• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What changes with Eddie Jones

Yeah, kind of. I see it as being, if Tuilagi is seen solely as a 13, I don't mind Joseph losing his place to him. But if Tuilagi gets picked at 12, and it isn't Joseph at 13, that would be a bad call for me.

Yes.

But then I do want Tuilagi playing for England, and if they view him as a 13 only.....

I'm definitely a huge huge Joseph fan, but feel like he's easier to shut down than Tuilagi.
By that I mean: When defences wised up to Joseph, for England, he was pretty quiet after his break onto the international scene. Defences have been wise to Tuilagi since day one and it's not really made a lick of difference.
I also really want Slade in the England 23.

Tough decisions for Eddie 'n' pals.
Joseph would come into his own when we have a team that can stretch defences. Our forward play has been far too static in recent times and it's given us little opportunity to open the gaps for the backs. Contrast to Tuilagi, who can punch his own holes even when his team is failing to provide him with the gaps. For me, if we can't get use out of Joseph then something has gone wrong elsewhere.

Last edited:
Yes.

But then I do want Tuilagi playing for England, and if they view him as a 13 only.....

I'm definitely a huge huge Joseph fan, but feel like he's easier to shut down than Tuilagi.
By that I mean: When defences wised up to Joseph, for England, he was pretty quiet after his break onto the international scene. Defences have been wise to Tuilagi since day one and it's not really made a lick of difference.
I also really want Slade in the England 23.

Tough decisions for Eddie 'n' pals.

I think this had quite a bit to do with playing inside Barritt, who draws no defenders in. Play Manu at 12 and JJ has tonnes of space -> tries

Don't disagree with either of those points.

It's exciting times - who knows, Eddie Jones might go the complete oppposite direction and discover some Aussie journeyman like Meakes, at Glaws, has an English Granny and cap him :p

I really hope Mauger can mould Tuilagi into a 12, a I think a MT/JJ midfield has the potential to be absolutely superb.

Yes.

He has not played properly for nigh on two years and surely cannot be considered until he has shown a reasonable period of quality performances at club level first to not only prove that he is back to where he was some years ago but also that his injuries really are behind him.

Any conversations about him being part of the England set up are premature until that happens!

It's exciting times - who knows, Eddie Jones might go the complete oppposite direction and discover some Aussie journeyman like Meakes, at Glaws, has an English Granny and cap him :p

I really hope Mauger can mould Tuilagi into a 12, a I think a MT/JJ midfield has the potential to be absolutely superb.

I suspect with Toomua coming Mauger might want to focus playing Manu @ 13 if he stays.

Although if he can improve his awareness and Distribution (similar to what he has done with Smith) who knows.

Maybe not Meakes, who ain't even that decent, but Tom Marshall has an English grandparent... :D

I'm hoping Mark Atkinson gets given a run in the Glos team and kicks on though. I can't think of a back in the country with a better offload. The advantage of being a 6'5 back I guess.

He has not played properly for nigh on two years and surely cannot be considered until he has shown a reasonable period of quality performances at club level first to not only prove that he is back to where he was some years ago but also that his injuries really are behind him.

Any conversations about him being part of the England set up are premature until that happens!
Well yah, obviously.
Manu on form is our best centre.
Why would I be talking about an unfit/out of form Manu?
I suspect with Toomua coming Mauger might want to focus playing Manu @ 13 if he stays.

Although if he can improve his awareness and Distribution (similar to what he has done with Smith) who knows.
Crap, forgot about Toomua!
He's not arriving till next year though, right? What are your 12 options like ATM?

I'm hoping Mark Atkinson gets given a run in the Glos team and kicks on though. I can't think of a back in the country with a better offload. The advantage of being a 6'5 back I guess.
We breed 'em big up here :p
Ol' Sausage Legs is a quality player, though. Fell into the trap of playing 10 at age grade and really wanting to play there at senior level. Didn't work out at Sale (even though he looked good at centre) didn't work out anywhere after either. It was only when he switched to centre full time at Bedford that he really started kicking on.

Last edited:
Luckily Leicester break all their players so he won't be around for long :p

Exeter were excellent tonight.
Slade, Nowell and Hill all really put their hands up.

"What changes with Eddie Jones?"

Hooking no longer being optional, apparently.

"The set piece is the king of everything," he said. "To play an attacking game we need to dominate set piece and be smart using the ball. Japan used quick channel ball in the World Cup and it's something England can do. I'm sure the hookers in England can strike. If they can't strike they're going to have to learn to strike."

Thank the baby Jesus.

Mako's reasonable.Ok in the tight and that's about it.Needs to shed a couple of stone and become more moble.Billy's to 'head down crash into the opposition' with very limited handling skills.Also needs to shed two stone and be able to play for a full 80 minutes.Not in the same league as Faletau or Denton IMO.

I'm sorry mate but that's just ******** lol . Mako has been monumental for Sarries this year and they are probably the best club team in Europe at the moment . Granted Toulon and Clermont haven't played in the EC yet but haven't looked that great in the top 14 from what I've seen ....

"What changes with Eddie Jones?"

Hooking no longer being optional, apparently.

Thank the baby Jesus.

So.....Tommy Taylor for England then?

Not even being Sale biased, but I'm struggling to think of another hooker that strikes at every scrum?
Got to have something to do with 100% win rate at out own put in (only club in the premiership this season IF I HAVEN'T MENTIONED THIS ENOUGH YET).

Does LCD hook? and George?
Tom Youngs certainly hasn't, as Brian Moore will certainly be happy to shout in your face about (he's always really vocal about it during the 6N). Can't imagine Hartley is particularly happy with it considering he's notorious for popping out of scrums whenever a semblance of pressure comes on.
I don't even want to ask about Webber as he's dog ****.

LCD does, I'm pretty sure I've seen George do it too.

I think Hartley was doing it the other week in the AP.

Luckily Leicester break all their players so he won't be around for long :p

Exeter were excellent tonight.
Slade, Nowell and Hill all really put their hands up.

We could do a lot worse than just dumping Hill and Slade in.

Or dump Hill in and let him partner one of the speed merchants like Joseph, Daly, or maybe in the future, Nowell.

Still don't get the people who question Billy V's fitness. When he was first at Wasps he was 150kg+, when he moved to Sarries he was around 132kg I believe, now he's about 124kg. He's putting in 80 minute shifts every game, and has done the same at international, carrying and tackling like a beast. It's like they see he has a bit of spare around the belly and instantly assume he's not able to move about. Same goes for Mako really.

As for Farrell, once again he's showing bits of inventiveness, which is very nice to see. However, I suspect that you could keep count of how many passes he made left to right, without having to take your socks off. I reckon you could keep your mittens on if you only counted left to right passes that a) weren't push passes. and b) went more than 2m.

He's getting there though, and should definitely be kept in the training group for now, don't think I'd be starting him, and perhaps not bench either.

For me it's

10 slade/ ford
12 hill
13 JJ / Manu (if fit and improved)

No point in talking about tuilagi as a 12 as he wont play there for Leicester.

We just need to find a few more back up options for the centres now.

Ironically we still need some more 12s.

Latest posts