• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 EOYT] Ireland vs South Africa

I haven't seen the game. Was this just a classic Ireland performance or did South Africa not turn up ? Also how does it look for England next week ?

South Africa were like a man who goes out on the razz and brings a stunner home only to ask if she feels like an All Night Quake Lan party.

I don't want to take anything away from the intensity and intelligence of that Irish performance, but until it was edge of the fingernails stuff at time, and the Boks will be kicking themselves big time.

Which is probably the last thing we wanted...

Both 15 'so to share MotM for Ireland?? Fully deserved win. Just very.. Clever play for the full game. I almost am sad about that JPP try since Ireland would' ve gone past England into no. 4 on the rankings with what is a spanking.

gracious in defeat. Lucid. Against the English...you really do deserve your Least Terrible SH Poster medal, stormerman.

Great match, that atmosphere was unbelievable even up with the corporate ****ers! The pressure our back-row put on their half backs was only equalled by the pressure Hougaard put on Pollard. We scored exactly when we had to and Johnny is quickly losing this bottler tag. A great performance by a fellow NUIG man at 12 too, especially considering he looked like he wanted to cry to his mammy at the anthems! To the pub!!

Great match, that atmosphere was unbelievable even up with the corporate ****ers! The pressure our back-row put on their half backs was only equalled by the pressure Hougaard put on Pollard. We scored exactly when we had to and Johnny is quickly losing this bottler tag. A great performance by a fellow NUIG man at 12 too, especially considering he looked like he wanted to cry to his mammy at the anthems! To the pub!!

"Corporate" "NUIG" you used to be cool now you're 1 of them

Looks like the lads answered all the questions that were asked of them. The centers looked rock solid and the new players in did a fine job. Plenty to work on but a job well done.

I'm doubly delighted because there was nothing but doom mongering beforehand. The Irish media are incredibly dull and predictable to listen to.

Gutted to lose, but full credit to a great Irish performance.
I thought the kicking game was sublime, and Murray and Sexton put us on the back foot constantly, Bowe and Kearney were both massive and are really the perfect outside backs when playing with the kind of game plan Ireland came out with today.
When we tried to play at Irelands own game we got punished and they consistently made more out of their kicks or executed their up and unders effectively when ours were merely giving away possession.

Additionally they defended like Trojans and although ground was made by the South African ball runners the lack of out and out breaks just left us looking like we had no cutting edge. The Irish forwards were also superb in the loose and slowed down our ball well, as well as protecting their own (very important as our most explosive attacks of late have come from turn-over ball which just didn't happen due to good breakdown management).

Basically due to a solid Irish defense we lacked much penetration from regular phase play, and without any turn-overs we just didn't have those massive counter-attacks we have managed to pull off in the RC.

Unfortunately the errors (God I will have nightmares over all those knock ons) and some poor decision making at times certainly didn't help our cause, hopefully this gets shored up or we are in for a very rough tour indeed.

Don't get me wrong it's not all bad, I thought a select few players were decent (Coetzee, Serfontein) and our set piece was much improved but we looked blunt, rusty and over confident. I'm choosing to look at this in a positive view and hope to see the lads bounce back next week.

Well done Ireland.

Edit: I thought Poite was harsh, but ultimately fair as I can't point to that many calls which were blatantly wrong just harsh. In any case there is no arguing with a 15 point margin.
Edit, edit: Hougard was utter S%#&.

Last edited:
Well done Ireland.

Does this mean they move up the rankings?

Congrats Ireland, great to see the North chalk a victory over the south!

I suspect you've ****ed us over insofar as we now have some angry boks descending upon Twickenam..
Ok now not to be a dick or anything, but the idea that people are saying how they rate Wales and France above Ireland is pretty bloody laughable.

yeah Hougaard blew very cold this game, he's not consistent enough. I reckon he is a impact player and not a starter.

We can take a few notes from the Irish when it comes to the tactical kicking. There were a few great ones.

Well done Ireland.

Does this mean they move up the rankings?

If my calculations are correct (and they seldom are) Ireland will remain in 5th spot in the rankings, though will be within 0.3 of a point of England in 4th (and within 0.6 of a point of Australia in 3rd).

Rankings mean very little now though. It's all about on the day and well rankings only matter when seedings for RWC come in to it

Congrats Ireland, great to see the North chalk a victory over the south!

I suspect you've ****ed us over insofar as we now have some angry boks descending upon Twickenam..
Ok now not to be a dick or anything, but the idea that people are saying how they rate Wales and France above Ireland is pretty bloody laughable.

You make no mention of England, so i can assume that you believe they are or can be considered better than Ireland? Well this year was the first time in three years that England have beaten Wales. England are in better form at the moment, but it's pretty stupid to write us off as being a worse team full stop.

France also beat you in your last match so i wouldn't rule them off either.

Also not trying to be a dick...just pointing out what should be obvious.

However, i concur with your adulation of Ireland. Tremendous win, form NH side and proved it too. I'm also worried about getting a backlash whooping from the Boks, especially if England manage to beat them! Imagine it, i don't want to.

Rankings mean very little now though. It's all about on the day and well rankings only matter when seedings for RWC come in to it

This.

Last edited:
Take nothing away from a great Irish performance, great commitment and defence throughout. I guess it is true that when another team stands up physically to the Springboks, they don't have a plan B

At times the Springboks were just not in the game, I could sense a lack of firepower. It's amazing how they raise their game to beat the Mighty All Blacks but struggle against Ireland, Wales and Argentina. They have to learn to be consistent throughout! And another lackluster performance by our favorite French referree...yep the same guy that sent Bismarck Du Plessis packing with a controversial red card last year. He clearly had Victor Matfield and Jean De Villiers scratching their heads a few times, before sending Adriaan Strauss of with another dubious yellow card which even the Irish commentators though was a bit harsh.

I'm sorry but after staying up the whole night to watch this sorry mess, I unfortunately cannot see us beating England...hell I think even the Welsh might sneak one over us.

Last edited:
****ing fantastic. Watched the game in a pub, so therefore I have no bloody clue who played well and who didn't, I just vaguely remember everybody chanting 'Tommy Bowe'...

Anyway, hope I have it recorded for tomorrow, really impressed with that scoreline. Shame about Henry being injured, but I really rate Ruddock so I'm glad he got some game time. Schmidt really is a genius.

Hopefully this is the start of us being considered more 'serious' opposition for the SH 3..

Latest posts