• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 EOYT] Ireland vs South Africa

129 tackles to 68 and 38% territory to 62%! How the **** did we win this by that much?

I don't know if SA were up for it fully but very gracious by JDV in the post match interview.

see, this is really win-win. Ireland get to celebrate beating the crap out of the 2nd best team in the world AAAAND make them furious so they'll be sure to win in England next week. Ireland TEH MAN.

129 tackles to 68 and 38% territory to 62%! How the **** did we win this by that much?

I don't know if SA were up for it fully but very gracious by JDV in the post match interview.

Not being funny, but Hougaard was the most effective player out there for Ireland today. Remove his kamikaze moments and it could have been rather different...

Both 15 'so to share MotM for Ireland?? Fully deserved win. Just very.. Clever play for the full game. I almost am sad about that JPP try since Ireland would' ve gone past England into no. 4 on the rankings with what is a spanking.

We we need to pass a law to force him to stay as coach indefinitely.

Not being funny, but Hougaard was the most effective player out there for Ireland today. Remove his kamikaze moments and it could have been rather different...

I agree Hougaard was very poor for them and definitely saved us a few times but our pressure on him was also very good and Reinach came on early enough.

Power, pace and intensity from Ireland. It almost made SA look... old?!?! A well deserved win. Really impressed by Ireland's fitness as well, it really counted in the last quarter.

Thought South Africa were really poor at the breakdown today. Making far too many mistakes in that area and it hurt them. Not taking the penalty goals was costly as well. It's a high risk strategy at that stage of the game.

I haven't seen the game. Was this just a classic Ireland performance or did South Africa not turn up ? Also how does it look for England next week ?

Wow is all I can say, didn't see the game but surprised the win was that big.

Good work Ireland.

Ireland were good RSA has no excuses. If they were bad its only because Ireland was good and ref did not do enough damage change the outcome either way.

I can't believe it. I'm ecstatic. But let's be honest, SA did everything they could to lose it. Poor discipline and knock ons throughout the whole game. Our set pieces were **** poor and SA should have taken advantage of that, build phases and the tries would come. They just had no continuity. Our defence was great though. Going by POC's interview you can tell they realise they have a lot of work to do before the OZ test even though they've just beaten the number 2 side in the world.

I haven't seen the game. Was this just a classic Ireland performance or did South Africa not turn up ? Also how does it look for England next week ?

I think Ireland's intensity surprised SA a little and they never really got a foothold in the game. IMO, Ireland were superb because SA weren't as dominant in the forwards as they usually are and their backs were starved.

The bad news for England is that SA will want to rectify their forwards performances in their next game.

PO'C saying Cronin threw really well and he called poorly...

It was noticeable that we added a lot more movement to the few lineouts we had after halftime.

Definetly a lot to work on as POC pointed out, but thats the great thing about Ireland under Joe even when winning a massive game the first reaction is what needs to be fixed.

Loved Bowe's try, reallly loved that piece of play

I don't know BG8. Cronin just can't be trusted as a starter due to it. He's been very poor all season regards his darts. I thought Strauss was a lot more assuring and confident with them. But I think who Evers hooker for last 2 games won't have as much pressure as Georgia won't be great especially at lineout time. And Aus I think are poor at set pieces. But at least we have something to work on.
I presume there'll be aloof changes next week but for Aus I'd bring Best/Strauss in, and D'arcy for Payne.

On game my views would be.

McGrath is getting to Healy levels. May be an interesting battle when he's back.
Cronin did well and while Paulie took responsibility on some calls his darts must improve. I thought Strauss contributed hugely too.
Ross did well considering but our scrum was leaky and I think Marty Moore or White will be starter by RWC.
POC and Toner both magnificent. The Toner now is a total different player from 18-24months ago.
POM was excellent again and the harder the physicality the more you get from him.
Ruddock was very good. Went about business nicely.
Heaslip was again doing his job nicely and making himself available.
Murray and Sexton I genuinely think are possibly the best pairing at half back in the world at the moment.
Henshaw I thought was excellent and showed he will be there for a while. Well able for it.
Payne was good but still he's not a centre he needs that space you get at 15 to execute his talent.
Zebo was fine did what he had to do. Bowed took his try well and like Zebo was fine just did what he had to.
Kearney had his best game in an Irish shirt for a long time.

Fair play Schmidt he delivered a well drilled team and executed the plan superbly and smartly. Great shout out to Simon Easterby too.
It'd be scary to see Schmidt maybe coach NewZealand. It'd be possibly a era changing moment in rugby.

Last edited:

Latest posts