• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Final: New Zealand vs. Australia (31/10/2015)

It's like kicking crap up hill, but you need to look past the superficial stuff and watch what he does around the park. Hands down the best #8 in NZ! Also worth a mention that he has become killer in the lineouts now too!!
This.

Obviously.

The NZ starting XV for the coming years?

1 Moody
2 Coles
3 Franks
4 Whitelock
5 Retallick
6 Luatua/Messam
7 Cane/Ardie Savea
8 Read
9 Aaron Smith
10 Cruden
11 Julian Savea
12 Crotty/Ngatai
13 Fekitoa
14 NMS/Naholo
15 Ben Smith

Perhaps we can start a new thread on this? It's an interesting conversation, but perhaps we should leave this thread to discussing the final and multiple victory laps ;)

Are u serious? I tought that they were singing:

"Swing looooooow, sweet charioooooooot.
Coming for to carry me out of the pool"

I didn't enjoy that rendition of swing low sweet chariot at all. Very disrespectful.

My quick synopsis; I thought NZ were well better than their opponents. However, one has to give credit to their (Australia's) incredible tenacity, and the comeback they mounted. Fair play to the buggers. They had a period where I thought "Hello, this could get interesting", but in the end, class told.
Much respect to them. They deserved to be there. Not sure about all this soccer forum like nonsense. If they'd won, I'd have been well p*ssed off, but I'd have still come on and congratulated them.
Well done ABs, unlucky Oz. We'll see what happens next time!

I find it interesting that the only people who thought the ref was fantastic are all blacks supporters

I'm not saying the best team didn't win ; what I'm saying is that it gets a bit tiresome watching them play on the fringes of the rules and being allowed to get away with it. Note the difference in refereeing between this match and the drawn test. Nz were very tightly controlled by the ref and the game was an extremely good spectacle. This one was pathetic.

My concern is that having watched the ab s for 30 years there is a "whatever it takes " attitude that makes one want to go and watch lawn bowls. I was more impressed with the performances of Japan , Canada and Argentina than with the first line nations. The minows games were full of entertainment and spectacle. This final was more like being fed strichnine while being hit with a hammer. The poison makes you go numb from the extremities inward and the hammer just finishes the job. I enjoy a good game of rugby but this was pretty ordinary.

I'm a little confused by something, hoping someone can help me out re Ben Smith's Yellow Card and the time he spent on the sidelines. At 51:42 on the clock he was sent off. At 60:58 the commentators (Foxsports Australia) commented that he had about 30 seconds left (makes sense). However he was still not back on the field for the Wallaby 63:05 Try. The commentator actually says that there was no Fullback. Ben Smith is shown rejoining at around 64:20. Why did Ben Smith spend 13 minutes on the sideline?

I find it interesting that the only people who thought the ref was fantastic are all blacks supporters

I'm not saying the best team didn't win ; what I'm saying is that it gets a bit tiresome watching them play on the fringes of the rules and being allowed to get away with it. Note the difference in refereeing between this match and the drawn test. Nz were very tightly controlled by the ref and the game was an extremely good spectacle. This one was pathetic.

My concern is that having watched the ab s for 30 years there is a "whatever it takes " attitude that makes one want to go and watch lawn bowls. I was more impressed with the performances of Japan , Canada and Argentina than with the first line nations. The minows games were full of entertainment and spectacle. This final was more like being fed strichnine while being hit with a hammer. The poison makes you go numb from the extremities inward and the hammer just finishes the job. I enjoy a good game of rugby but this was pretty ordinary.

So now you know what it was like for AB fans to watch the Sydney test match this year.

Man seriously you make most of the play and you get most of the calls. We DOMINATED that first 20 minutes. Nonu's first touch of the ball near knocks Foley out cold. Moore has a broken nose within 2 minutes. Pocock looks like his face got messed up again. Giteau was doing his best impression of a chicken minutes later.

This was finals football and we were way better suck it up.

I'm a little confused by something, hoping someone can help me out re Ben Smith's Yellow Card and the time he spent on the sidelines. At 51:42 on the clock he was sent off. At 60:58 the commentators (Foxsports Australia) commented that he had about 30 seconds left (makes sense). However he was still not back on the field for the Wallaby 63:05 Try. The commentator actually says that there was no Fullback. Ben Smith is shown rejoining at around 64:20. Why did Ben Smith spend 13 minutes on the sideline?

There wasn't a break in play. If Milne-Skudder had found touch, he would have been back before the try. Didn't matter in the end.

Yeah, go take your back handed compliment and shove it.

There were more than enough times where Australia got away with things. Having a man in the sin bin for 10 minutes surely would have made a difference, which we both know the Wallabies deserved. Being allowed to get away with it? Mate, you shouldn't have even been there. Scotland would have beaten you if it weren't for a referee shocker.

Not sure if you've been watching rugby for very long but a Final in a major competition is always tight and a bit boring. There is plenty of precedent for that.

At first glance the referee seemed to be favouring us, especially in the first half. I have watched the match again and noted all of the questionable decisions:

1:57
A.Smith fires the ball at Whitelock who is not expecting it. Possible knock-on not called. May not have touched hand, may not have gone forward. Ref in better position to make call than the camera angle.
2:04
AAC in from the side? Not called. Followed immediately by Genia knock-on.
14:36
Savea break down left wing, caught by Pocock, then what looked like a fair turnover by Pocock/Hooper. 2 phases later McCaw strips ball from Fardy. Ref blows for knock-on by Savea. What knock-on?
18:05
Quick tap penalty by A.Smith, penalty against NZ for holding on as Pocock gets hands on ball. Pocock in from the side?
20:10
Sio late tackle on Carter. Discussion over whether penalty or not. Penalty awarded.
24:54
High tackle from Sio on Carter (forearm to chin). Penalty.
33:43
Milner-Skudder forward pass to Kaino not called. At next phase Genia is penalised for offside.

36:40
NZ lose ball in midfield. Ball bounces around off both black and yellow but no clear knock-on. Nothing called.
37:52
Possible accidental offside when Nonu runs into Carter. No advantage gained and nothing called.
44:27
Mitchell takes high ball and then SBW slaps ball out of his hand. Ruled knock-on against yellow.
46:09
Possible accidental offside when Milner-Skudder runs into McCaw. No advantage gained, nothing called.
48:02
Mitchell takes it in, McCaw turns it over. Pocock gets hands near ball before McCaw can push ball back. Ref points at Pocock and says "let it go now". Pocock keeps hands on ball and eventually Aus get the scrum.
51:42
Ben Smith yellow card. Definitely lifts well above horizontal but eases him to ground. Discussion with TMO about whether to make it penalty or yellow before giving yellow.
High tackle from Kaino on Pocock. Asks TMO repeatedly to look at it during live play. Calls advantage over 2 phases later 10m up field with yellow still in possession.

72:35
Scrum penalty to NZ. "Onto your knees yellow"

The forward pass in the 34th minute was clearly a mistake by the officials. The offside by Genia was not necessarily a direct result of the missed forward pass though. What happened after the kickoff is completely irrelevant.

The missed high tackle in the 57th minute did disadvantage Australia. Owens was clearly looking for assistance from the TMO here and got none. Advantage should have been continued longer than the 2 phases and 10m. Recall that Aus were the next team to score though so how much this affected the match is debateable.

The other "questionable" decisions (most of them were probably correct decisions, or marginal at worst) were fairly evenly spread.

So at 2nd viewing, the refereeing wasn't as bad as I first thought.

Interesting, I'd like to add the scrum in the second half around the 49th minute mark. Oz feed and NZ completely rolled through, the ball still in the scrum and the Oz players all unbinded. I thought that should have been a penalty to NZ. There were a couple of phases of turn overs and then a penalty to Oz which allowed them to come deep into NZ territory from there after a few phases Ben Smith was sent to the bin.

Just trying to point out the tub of the green wasn't just one way.

Doesn't matter now. The best team won!

Well done to Australia. The ABs left the door ajar and you well and truely opened it up. The ABs took the foot off the pedal thinking they would romp home but Australia showed they can come back. The ABs needed to be at their best for majority of the match-took care off the momentum shift. A great team! This is where the 99,03 and 07 teams crumbled.

I thought it was a brave call to bench Conrad Smith in the second half. Was he injured? He is the backline defensive organiser. It seemed like a master stroke with the SBW offload leading to Nonus try. When things started to go wrong it seemed like they missed him but Carter stepped up big time defensively.

Carter was just awesome in general. Everything he did was pure class deserved man of the match and probably deserves player of the year award for his performances in the last 3 games but Pocock also deserves it as he has been exceptional.

Well done ABs. Well done Richie, Dan,
Conrad, Kevin, Nonu and the rest of the team. You have inspired a generation (or 2) of NZers.

Yeah, go take your back handed compliment and shove it.

There were more than enough times where Australia got away with things. Having a man in the sin bin for 10 minutes surely would have made a difference, which we both know the Wallabies deserved. Being allowed to get away with it? Mate, you shouldn't have even been there. Scotland would have beaten you if it weren't for a referee shocker.

Not sure if you've been watching rugby for very long but a Final in a major competition is always tight and a bit boring. There is plenty of precedent for that.

That is a very good point. You cant have it both ways.

I think the referee was OK today - a few mistakes obviously.

BUT, isnt it a little rich complaining about the ref in the final after what happened in the QF?

Actually dont answer that, I dont really want to get into it. It's a natural reaction for a whole chunck of rugby supporters to blame the ref after a loss. Just be happy your boys put on a great showing this RWC. Other than Japans shock win the Ozzies really were the surprise package of the tournament!!

Also the scrum penalty in our half where australia got a penalty for Franks I think letting go of binding I thought that was a bizarre decision. I never saw it on the replay.

Id like to see the Kaino high tackle aswell. Not saying this one wasnt just there never was a replay or anything.

Well done to the boys. The officiating could have been better, but not one isolated decision would've changed the outcome. The All Blacks always looked like they were going to win comfortably.

I'm not sure if anyone else saw it, but when Milner Skudder scored his try, Sekope Kepu tried to take McCaw's head off with a WWE-like swinging clothesline. That would've been his 3rd offence and being as deliberate and reckless as it was he shouldve been red carded.

- - - Updated - - -

So apparently Pocock stomped on McCaw's head?. Anyone got footage? I didnt see it during the match

I thought it was a brave call to bench Conrad Smith in the second half. Was he injured? He is the backline defensive organiser. It seemed like a master stroke with the SBW offload leading to Nonus try. When things started to go wrong it seemed like they missed him but Carter stepped up big time defensively.

Conrad took a head knock in the first half, they brought him off so as not to take any risks. That's what they have said post match anyway. Nothing serious, but it seems to be the trend with the ABs. If a starter is not 100% and they have a replacement ready to go they get pulled. I think tis both out of concern for the injured play, but perhaps more so about making sure the guys on the filed are operating as close to 100% as they can manage!

I'm not sure if anyone else saw it, but when Milner Skudder scored his try, Sekope Kepu tried to take McCaw's head off with a WWE-like swinging clothesline. That would've been his 3rd offence and being as deliberate and reckless as it was he shouldve been red carded.

So apparently Pocock stomped on McCaw's head?. Anyone got footage? I didnt see it during the match

Yup definately saw it (when I watched the match on replay) posted about it earlier but until now it looks like no-one else has seen it. It was pretty full on, lucky he only clipped him, and extremely lucky the TMO didnt pick it up otherwise it whould have at least been a yellow for repeat infringements.

Yup, for me Pocock definately gets McCaw, but its not a stop on the head. McCaw has hold of his boot at the base of a ruck (and the ball ahas long since gone). Pocock kinda shrugs him off, but in doing so looks to lash out a touch (probably accidentally) but definately contacts McCaws head with his boot. NZHerald had the video up last time I checked.

Conrad took a head knock in the first half, they brought him off so as not to take any risks. That's what they have said post match anyway. Nothing serious, but it seems to be the trend with the ABs. If a starter is not 100% and they have a replacement ready to go they get pulled. I think tis both out of concern for the injured play, but perhaps more so about making sure the guys on the filed are operating as close to 100% as they can manage!

Thats what Smithy (sideline sam) told us in thew NZ commentary just after half time.

Thats what Smithy (sideline sam) told us in thew NZ commentary just after half time.

Did he? Couldnt hear a word they said at half time, the pub was way too loud!

What do you make of the Pocock and Kepu incidents mate?

Well done to the boys. The officiating could have been better, but not one isolated decision would've changed the outcome. The All Blacks always looked like they were going to win comfortably.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...the-richie-mccaw-v-david-pocock-battle-unfold

it actually looks pretty bad and deliberate. pocock looks down at mccaw while lifting his leg up then looks away while bringing his foot down. Probably nothing will come if it like the eye gouge & head butt that McCaw got last WC final...

Pocock incident is accidental, the intent was to free the leg and in the process the foot hit the head. Pocock wasn't even looking at McCaw and focussed the the ruck/next play.

Haven't seen the Kepu incident yet.

-----------------
Just watched the Kepu incident. That was shocking and reckless swinging arm from Kepu. Luckily it looked like it brushed off the back of the head of McCaw, if it had connected than it would could have caused a concussion. Cheap shot at best!
Cheika has instilled aggression which is good but it seems he has also instructed his players to get shots in guys like McCaw and Carter. We saw this in the Super Rugby game earlier this years Waratahs vs Crusaders where Skelton was putting on cheap shots. Skelton was doing it again in Auckland Bledisloe II and in last nights game it was Kepu. Pathetic!! Play hard and fair.

Last edited:
I've been waiting what, 12 years to say this, but...

4... MORE... YEARS, George Gregan!!!

I was hoping Straya would be leading the game until the 75th minute til we land a drop goal and smash em in a scrum and break their hearts. Oh well. It couldn't have been scripted better, 7 great AB's end their career on a high note, Carter finally gets to feature in a final and what a tournament he had, a beaut of a drop goal and it had its tense moments. I'd say the reffing was alright, a few high tackles here and there but I think it's safe to say Nigel Owens was consistent. Wallabies dominated break down for a while but were mainly effective at turning the ball over rather than slowing it down. There were patches like in the first half where the ABs were just unable to score. Interesting the decision not to kick as often as we had seen in the past.

this game earnt Stephen Moore a lot of respect from myself, and Australia played really well for the most of it. Like I said I just wish they had led at one point. However this game reinforces my view that Bernard Foley sometimes doesn't do very good in the big matches. I used to believe that Kurtley Beale has never had a good game against the ABs, but this had to be up there. He was really solid and consistent.

What is with Kepu anyway? Is he instructed to fill the "Will Skelton role"? Also what happened to that guy? Did he experience a massive dip in form?

- - - Updated - - -

If it was a PR stunt, it was executed perfectly. ABs clinical as always!

I've never been a fan of SBW but he's won me over with his on-field performances this year. He seems to be a decent dude off-field as well. I just don't know why he hangs around with the slime that is Anthony Mundine.

I've heard from people who knew him at high school that he isn't a humble person. However some change over time. He definitely does a lot to improve his image after his "faux pas" as a youngster (everyone makes mistakes at that age) but I'm largely uninterested in riding his jockstrap. Its unfortunate that he cops flak even when he does really good stuff. Anyway, yeah. Khoder Nasser and Mundine aren't the best of company. They have their special way of conducting their business...

Actually I disagree with some of the predicted future squad selections. Luatua is on borrowed time, needs a massive SR campaign. and I think Jordan Taufua or Elliot Dixon can replace him but Akira Ioane will be there or thereabouts. Ardie will be there if he can sort his stuff out. Huge potential but needs all the support he can get. Liam Coltman, Beauden Barrett, possibly Dominic Bird, Jefferey Toomaga-Allen, Lima Sopoaga, and Damien McKenzie are all ones to look out for.

Last edited:

Latest posts