• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Quarter Final 1: South Africa vs. Wales (17/10/2015)

Wales have played SA enough to be confident to beat them Imo. The last two times a narrow 31-30 loss, which should have been a win but for Liam Williams shoulder barge, which led to a penalty try and their 12-6 win last Autumn. No ifs, buts and should haves this time round.

Usually I'm the first on the "Wales can't beat the SH" bandwagon.

But this is the World Cup. This Welsh team knows that anyone can beat anyone at this point, as well as having a (hopefully) fearless squad now. Really think they COULD do it. However it would take a braver man than me to put money on it.

Is the Wales team as depleted as everyone says though? I've gone through the team and while I admit I'm not up to spedd with the form of the Welsh players it seems to me that bar 2 or 3 position out wide (least critical IMO) this is basically a 1st choice team anyway? I'm not sure what I was expecting but that looks a handy Welsh side if you ask me.. I feel cheated almost.

The injuries have been fairly concentrated in terms of position. Fullback probably third choice, 13 perhaps fifth. Seems likely Cuthbert wouldn't be playing if any other Welsh wingers were fit, but otherwise close to first choice.

The injuries have been fairly concentrated in terms of position. Fullback probably third choice, 13 perhaps fifth. Seems likely Cuthbert wouldn't be playing if any other Welsh wingers were fit, but otherwise close to first choice.

Yeah basically, we've had to reshuffle players position because of injury , so normally, 1/2 penny @15 , we've pulled Liam off the wing where Cuthbert has now filled much to my distain,then Liam injured so anscombe / Morgan 3rd choice, if eli was fit he'd be there over Cuthbert on wing so I would say Cuthbert is now 3rd choice , scrum half is 2nd choice probably on our 3rd choice centre in tyler morgan but apart from that it's all good all first choice forwards!

- - - Updated - - -

I suppose the biggest disappointment is the combinations they would of been working on , biggar and webn know each other well so when the injuries happened it disrupts the squad , however I have to say the guys that have stepped in have played above and beyond themselves , and mcbryde has even said that it will be a fight for Webb to get his Jersey back from Davies, I wouldn't go that far , Davies has played well but a full flowing Webb is in a different league

I'd forgotten Webb! He'd developed into a very good nine, hopefully the injury doesn't compromise his movement too much in the long term.

P.s. I was going for Tyler Morgan as fifth behind Davies, Williams, Allen and North - is that fair?

Yes , wouldn't count north as a centre tho and he's not injured but fair to say Allen is higher up that actually forgot about Allen so yeah its 4th choice plus amos getting injured puts Cuthbert to 4th choice winger behind Williams ,amos and eli

I feel like this match will go one of two ways:
- After 50 minutes we are 12 or more points ahead, Wales never really get back into the game and the Springboks win comfortably.
- After 50 minutes the Welsh are within 7, Springboks start to run out of ideas, and the Welsh start believing they can win. We choke and Wales win by 7.

I'd forgotten Webb! He'd developed into a very good nine, hopefully the injury doesn't compromise his movement too much in the long term.

P.s. I was going for Tyler Morgan as fifth behind Davies, Williams, Allen and North - is that fair?

I'd agree with that. If Liam Williams was still fit I think North would still be 13 in front of him. Many want Hook at 13 but never been a favourite of Gats.

3rd choice fb. 5th choice 13. 2nd 9. Hard to quantify Cuthbert but would be looking 4th or 5th. I can certainly think of that many in front if available.

Basically, in the backs it is Biggar, Roberts and North the first choice players. North has been underwhelming so far though so owes us a big game.

Earlier in the tournament it was a bit harder as we had players that hadn't played for months due to injury in the squad. At least these are now getting match fit.

Last edited:
I've backed Wales to take this in a very tight game.I'm beginning to think I've done my money!I know you can't always go on past performance but there record against the Boks is dismal.Two wins in 30 tests in over a hundred years.Maybe Ladbrokes will refund my stake if I ask them nicely(yeah right!).

I'm as nervous as anything. Almost I just want to climb into some sort of stasis chamber, get out on the 1st of December and read up on what happened in this tournament. This waiting is not good for my nerves.

Cuthbert is due a rise in form, the guy is having an absolute shocker and it hurts to watch a droop in form as obvious as his one.
He may come right and get stuck in next match, he's not short on desire ad he's a fine player so maybe if he gets a run next game he'll come right.

It's complete arrogance from SA supporters to have wanted Wales in the QF. Because it's an 'easier' game. As the English say '********'. This is a whole new competition now. I would've preferred Australia, but then, Wales didn't beat Australia.

It's complete arrogance from SA supporters to have wanted Wales in the QF. Because it's an 'easier' game. As the English say '********'. This is a whole new competition now. I would've preferred Australia, but then, Wales didn't beat Australia.

No its not. Aussie are rather objectively a tougher match IMO. The fact that Wales aren't easy doesn't mean they aren't 'easier' even if the margins are minute.

No its not. Aussie are rather objectively a tougher match IMO. The fact that Wales aren't easy doesn't mean they aren't 'easier' even if the margins are minute.

And our history against them in Knockouts at World Cups isn't that great. Nothing from this point onwards will be easy, and none of us think of it that way. But I think the consensus is that SA have a good track record against Wales and that is motivation to keep on the right track.

I would 100% rather play Wales in the quarters than these on-form ozzies! Anyone would man, it's not arrogance just a genuine wish. Pocock looks like he could rip a pair of skin tight leather trousers off of Serena Williams and Foley can't miss. Also Wales are softened up whereas Australia only a one big injury to Palu I think.

I'd agree with that. If Liam Williams was still fit I think North would still be 13 in front of him. Many want Hook at 13 but never been a favourite of Gats.

3rd choice fb. 5th choice 13. 2nd 9. Hard to quantify Cuthbert but would be looking 4th or 5th. I can certainly think of that many in front if available.

Basically, in the backs it is Biggar, Roberts and North the first choice players. North has been underwhelming so far though so owes us a big game.

Earlier in the tournament it was a bit harder as we had players that hadn't played for months due to injury in the squad. At least these are now getting match fit.

Sorry I don't get what you mean "if Liam Williams was fit , north would be ahead of him at 13?" If Williams was fit hed be in the team at 15 or wing alongside north.

- - - Updated - - -

Still holding on to that Wales will out fit them in the closing stages and nick a close game

And our history against them in Knockouts at World Cups isn't that great. Nothing from this point onwards will be easy, and none of us think of it that way. But I think the consensus is that SA have a good track record against Wales and that is motivation to keep on the right track.

Yes, just everything points at Wales being an easier match up relative to Aussie (though not easy in and of itself);

-Our history (recent and historical) against both teams,
-Our history against both teams at RWCs specifically
-The fact Aussie beat Wales
-The fact that Aussie are higher ranked
-The fact that recently Aus dealt with England rather easily in comparison with the Wales-England game and if anyone our game is 'England-like'
-Aus are generally considered on form and fit with momentum and continuity while Wales despite awesome efforts aren't in as great a position (though siege mentality does count for a lot!)

Is it really arrogance to say Aus > Wales ATM? I could say Aus > SA in the same breath. Of course that doesn't mean Wales can't beat SA and SA can't beat Aus in a once-off and I don't think any South African has said that.

Can't wait for the game. Two things I love most in world rugby is a proper version of the Haka, and the Welsh national anthem in a Wales home game. GOOSEBUMPS!!!

Sorry I don't get what you mean "if Liam Williams was fit , north would be ahead of him at 13?" If Williams was fit hed be in the team at 15 or wing alongside north.

- - - Updated - - -

Still holding on to that Wales will out fit them in the closing stages and nick a close game

With Liam being fit he was chosen on the wing last time which allowed North to go in the centre in front of Morgan. We no longer have that option but I think Gatland would have picked North as centre still. Gats has little choice now but to put North on the wing which leaves Morgan as the fall back. Quite like Morgan as a centre and given a couple of years might be ready.

Latest posts