• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Quarter Final 1: South Africa vs. Wales (17/10/2015)

Little extract from a recent preview of the match:

"The heart and guts shown in that match against England to come back was phenomenal, but the better team for most of the game were a poor England side, who still could have come away with a draw. Now if you're only narrowly beating that bad England side, and failing to score against Australia when they have 13 men, there is very, very little chance of escaping this match against South Africa with a victory, especially considering the desperately poor Welsh scrum, despite the last match between these sides ending in victory for the Welsh."

http://fourballsblog.blogspot.fr/2015/10/south-africa-vs-wales-rwc-2015-quarter.html

I don't see this ending well for the Welsh, mind you I didn't see the pool stages going well for them either. How far can sheer guts and passion get you, and will it be matched and nullified by the Saffas?

Don't buy into that analogy mate , its a new game different match. You say you should of drawed the match against us ,well I could also say we should of beaten Australia just look at the stats , Australia dominated England but we dominated Australia and actually we got the ball over the line a couple of times but just couldn't get the ball down due to some desperate aussie defense and a knock on , on a different day we would of scored tries and actually England weren't that poor against Wales just rewatch the first 55mins , Farrell and youngs were bang in form , Farrell even knocking over a brilliant drop goal! . I do agree the scrum was a shambles against you but had improved a lot for the aussie game and I expect it to improve again for Saturday, and yes injuries take their toll but we are a very fit team due to that being the main focus in camp , it wasn't tiredness that cost us against Australia, it was decision making and some outstanding aussie scramble defense sometimes that's just the way it goes! Not saying we are going to win but we won't lose for the reasons you have listed here I just don't buy that

The team I'm hoping to see for Wales on Saturday is:

1.Gethin Jenkins
2.Ken Owens
3.Samson Lee
4.Bradley Davies
5.Luke Charteris
6.Dan Lydiate
7.Sam Warburton
8.Taulupe Faletau

9.Gareth Davies
10.Dan Bigger
11.Matthew Morgan (would prefer Eli Walker if fit)
12.Jamie Roberts
13.James Hook
14.George North
15.Rhys Preistland (should have called for Dan Evans of Ospreys but oh well)

I know it sounds crazy but we need an attacking threat and a good Full back.

1.Gethin Jenkins
2.Ken Owens
3.Samson Lee
4.Bradley Davies
5.Luke Charteris
6.Dan Lydiate
7.Sam Warburton
8.Taulupe Faletau

9.Gareth Davies
10.Dan Bigger
12.Jamie Roberts
13.James Hook
14.George North

Hasnt he just been brought into the squad. I assumed he must be fit, otherwise why bring him in?

1.Gethin Jenkins
2.Ken Owens
3.Samson Lee
4.Bradley Davies
5.Luke Charteris
6.Dan Lydiate
7.Sam Warburton
8.Taulupe Faletau

9.Gareth Davies
10.Dan Bigger
12.Jamie Roberts
13.James Hook
14.George North

My new favorite Welsh player. I think he can go far, would just prefer him at 15. When he gets the ball, things happen!

- - - Updated - - -

Shouldn't really make light of people who may be suffering mental health issues. NOT Dan Biggar but those who use drugs like ritalin. Just saying.

Had a few calm minutes last night, have to put up the hand and admit you're right. Apologies!

Bradley Davies over Alun Wyn Jones?
Really?
Wales pose a serious threat to the Boks because although they have a gazillion injuries, it's all to the glory boys in the backs, their excellent pack remains unhindered by injury and therein lies their chance for success, and of course the wily bugger Biggar.

1.Gethin Jenkins
2.Ken Owens
3.Samson Lee
4.Bradley Davies
5.Luke Charteris
6.Dan Lydiate
7.Sam Warburton
8.Taulupe Faletau

9.Gareth Davies
10.Dan Bigger
12.Jamie Roberts
13.James Hook
14.George North

See where you are coming from but I can't see alyn wyn left out of the team, also even though priestland did well off the bench against England I think anscombe will start over him and Morgan, also I've heard Cuthbert will be on the wing with north on the other, I would much prefer to see Morgan or lloyd on the wing that's for sure , don't know why cuthbert keeps getting the nod its getting frustrating

See where you are coming from but I can't see alyn wyn left out of the team, also even though priestland did well off the bench against England I think anscombe will start over him and Morgan, also I've heard Cuthbert will be on the wing with north on the other, I would much prefer to see Morgan or lloyd on the wing that's for sure , don't know why cuthbert keeps getting the nod its getting frustrating

Totally agree with you,I think the guy should be at home watching the game,Priestland should be given the nod,he's made an impact coming off the bench for sure.

It's a weird situation to be in as a South African when you have no injuries and no one arguing who the team should be, because everyone knows who our best team is. The only real question is will Meyer put in Jannie and Victor when Malherbe and Lood should start.

---Updated---

Never mind, that doesn't even seem to be an issue anymore. News24 is reporting Victor will not be ready by the weekend and they are suggesting Malherbe will start (and they generally have an eye on the training field).

Link to information here

Last edited:
It's a weird situation to be in as a South African when you have no injuries and no one arguing who the team should be, because everyone knows who our best team is. The only real question is will Meyer put in Jannie and Victor when Malherbe and Lood should start.

---Updated---

Never mind, that doesn't even seem to be an issue anymore. News24 is reporting Victor will not be ready by the weekend and they are suggesting Malherbe will start (and they generally have an eye on the training field).

Link to information here

Just wanted to mention the link I see you've just put up. I also think Sport24 would have it right. Glad to have read it.

But. While I agree wth you it seems we are going with what everyone sees as our 1st choice team that is only of the players in the squad and there is still a question over that:

Faf de klerk, Francois Hougaard, Cobus Reinach, Jaco Kriel, Heinrich Brussow, Marcel Coetzee, Vincent Koch, Steven Kitshoff, Elton jantjies, Ruan Combrinck, Lionel Mape, Frans Steyn, Juandre Kruger... I could add more; those are all players with an argument of being in the squad ahead of others. I'm not saying everyone of them should. My own feeling is only 1/2 of them should have been in that squad pushing for a part.

I have no idea what to expect from this match. I have us ahead by 5 but allowing a 10 point variance in either direction.

Last edited:
Bok team has been announced and added to the OP.

Only changes on the Bench with Adriaan Strauss, Jannie Du Plessis, Ruan Pienaar and Pat Lambie who didn't feature against USA.

Bok team has been announced and added to the OP.

Only changes on the Bench with Adriaan Strauss, Jannie Du Plessis, Ruan Pienaar and Pat Lambie who didn't feature against USA.

I can't complain at all. The only change I would have liked is Paige on bench instead of Pienaar, but I understand the argument there for experience (even if I don't think it counts for much with Pienaar).

I can't complain at all. The only change I would have liked is Paige on bench instead of Pienaar, but I understand the argument there for experience (even if I don't think it counts for much with Pienaar).

Horses for courses I guess... I would've liked both Paige and Morne Steyn on the bench. But other than that I'm pretty happy with this team. Jannie on the bench instead of Coenie, with Frans Starting is a good move. And Victor excluded altogether makes me think that both Victor and JDV will just be with the team in an advisory role.

Hasnt he just been brought into the squad. I assumed he must be fit, otherwise why bring him in?

Been thinking the same thing I think Wales are hoping he will get a last minute nod.

Bradley Davies over Alun Wyn Jones?
Really?

Wales pose a serious threat to the Boks because although they have a gazillion injuries, it's all to the glory boys in the backs, their excellent pack remains unhindered by injury and therein lies their chance for success, and of course the wily bugger Biggar.

Yes because even though I am a fan of Alun Wyn Jones and his work rate is great I feel Bradley is a bigger and harder tackler right now and Charteris is on the best form of this season so far and Wales need to pick their best on form players not go for safety.

- - - Updated - - -

Alun Wyn would make a huge impact coming off the bench and I think Priestland would be better because Anscombe came out of position too many times during Wales vs Australia and the South Africans if they notice it will rip us too piece's. It wasn't a huge problem against Oz because they didn't have the ball long enough to make use of it. 15 suits Priestland's playing style too he loves the up and under and is able to better counter attack with less pressure on him being at 15 instead of 10.

This game riminds me of the Wales v Fiji game . except we are the Fiji in this one, the saffers are favourites and should win but in the back of their minds they know they could lose this as well.

This game riminds me of the Wales v Fiji game . except we are the Fiji in this one, the saffers are favourites and should win but in the back of their minds they know they could lose this as well.

Oh believe me, we are under no illusion that we might lose this game. I don't know who gave us the favourites tag, as it is in my opinion 50/50. Both teams lost 1 pool game, so the only reason why we get the favourites tag is because we're not as injured-ridden as Wales, even though we lost our Captain.

Latest posts