• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Quarter Final 4: Australia vs. Scotland (18/10/2015)

Every reply and comment is subjective - it's not a bad piece but it still comes from an already entrenched position, like all sporting commentary. I've lived in Australia for nearly thirty years now and watched a lot of rugby union, and far and away the most biased commentators I've ever listened to, have been the Australian ones, well in advance of the New Zealanders, and light years away from the great Bill McLaren. Boy, do some of those babies go for the jugular if they think the referee has made an unfair decision against the Aussies. There's no pulling back there, let me give you the tip, and video technology doesn't come into it.

And like someone has said, it's only a game, for Christ's sake. But at least face facts: yeah, it was a bad decision, but hardly the end of the world, and if it hadn't been made, so Scotland had won, it would have been a great win but they'd not have made the final, let alone won the cup.

Scotland aren't a pacific nation :lol:

Well we knew that a long time ago. If they were, then their players would have copped 17 weeks for their spear tackle instead of getting off scot-free (pun) and the referee would have reviewed their knock on before the try :p .

I think the guy is a troll or a New Zealander trying to wind you up. At this point people are just ignoring the fact that errors in refereeing swing both ways, and as you pointed out Scotland shouldn't of been awarded a try last week which could of put them out. I also keep going back to this point but Australia would of still had an attacking scrum and could have won the game in a number of ways from that position, especially given the fact they were scoring at will. The fuss about the decision needs to stop now because some high profile ex players have already embarrassed themselves with comments made about a referee, this is not football..

I imagine most of you NH folk won't know much about Scotty ""Sumo" Stevenson, but he is an all around good bloke; the most honest rugby journalist I know.

Well, he hits the nail right on the head here and he brings some perspective to this situation...

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/scotty-stevenson/news/article.cfm?a_id=815&objectid=11532289

I really like Scotty, he can even speak Afrikaans.

I have to say that I think he's quite correct in what he is saying, but I think the comparison between the referees and their faults shouldn't be drawn. For instance I would think that Joubert would be in the same boat as Wayne Barnes was in 2007, but I wouldn't put them in the same category as Bryce Lawrence or Romain Poite. And while many would say that it's because I'm South African and has been very vocal about this, I think there is a line to be drawn between a mistake or 2, and incompetence throughout a match. And here I will back Joubert 100%!

I watched Scott Hastings' interview yesterday on CNN, and he said that his frustration wasn't about the call Joubert made, but rather more that he left the field in a hurry and didn't stay and shook the players hands.

I honestly feel rather sorry for the Scottish public, because I know how they feel, I went through that disappointment in 2011, and yes, I was one of the guys who went on a tirade regarding the referee.

But like my father always say, This too shall pass.
@ImScotty, I have to also say that prior to this World Cup, I was of the opinion that Scotland was the worst of the 6 Nations teams, yes, even poorer than Italy. I thought that South Africa and Samoa would go through in our pool, and that Scotland and USA would fight it out for 3rd and 4th spot.

Scotland surprized me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the guy is a troll or a New Zealander trying to wind you up. At this point people are just ignoring the fact that errors in refereeing swing both ways, and as you pointed out Scotland shouldn't of been awarded a try last week which could of put them out. I also keep going back to this point but Australia would of still had an attacking scrum and could have won the game in a number of ways from that position, especially given the fact they were scoring at will. The fuss about the decision needs to stop now because some high profile ex players have already embarrassed themselves with comments made about a referee, this is not football..

Have*

Alright everyone, I think all possible points of view have been put forward.

Even us Scots have abandoned this argument. Game is done and dusted and the only thing fanning the flames are ex-players riling everyone up. It was a good game and the frustration at the final whistle has mostly dissolved into pride for the team, admiration of the Auzzies and excitement for the Semis. Perhaps it's time to stop the what ifs and the he said she said.

After all this conjecture I am still not a fan of increasing the TMO input in the game.
It has happened to every team over all the years since the day William Webb Ellis picked up the ball.
The game unlike the other rugby is a contest for the ball at all phases of play. We don't need any more input that we have now.
I would think that the majority of true rugby supporters around the world would agree.
May be we need a poll on the subject, (increasing the use of the TMO.
Also in the other Rugby game (here on in I will call mini-league) the TMO's still manage to get decisions wrong.

Well, I am in favour of increasing it. Like I've said already, W.W. Ellis notwithstanding, not all refereeing errors and decisions going the wrong way are the same, as if, when it comes down to it, it's basically a level playing field, which your use of 'every team' implies has happened. I'd need concrete evidence for that assertion.

Anything that takes away that margin of doubt when the decisions are on the wire or edge, are to be embraced and welcomed. The mistake is to see that as a criticism of the referee. I think it's just as feasibly the reverse. I hadn't seen until today, the two All Blacks cowardly and dangerous spear tackle on Brian O'Driscoll. I can't believe both those gutless basxxxxx got away with that, let alone while wearing the famed All Blacks' jersey. If those are shining examples of this great sporting side's fighting mentality, then I hope they'd lose every game they ever fucxxxxxx-well play. And isn't one of those players in this year's squad? What, you'd rather the ref would run around like a headless chicken while incidents like that go unseen and unpunished?

And with all due respect to you, what's with this loaded statement: 'I would think that the majority of true rugby supporters would agree'? So I, and anyone who takes my position, is not a 'true rugby supporter'? Or heads you win, tails I lose?

Last edited:
Alright everyone, I think all possible points of view have been put forward.

Even us Scots have abandoned this argument. Game is done and dusted and the only thing fanning the flames are ex-players riling everyone up. It was a good game and the frustration at the final whistle has mostly dissolved into pride for the team, admiration of the Auzzies and excitement for the Semis. Perhaps it's time to stop the what ifs and the he said she said.

Yeah,it's time to move on.I was gutted for the Scots boys,even though I backed the Aussies to win by 20-25 pts.The 6N is going to be very interesting!

I never deviated from topic, I am allowed to tell someone to get off my back if all they are doing on this forum is winding people up

Latest posts