• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Semi Final 1: South Africa vs. New Zealand (24/10/2015)

I have to say this doesn't appear to be the right time for SA, on paper the team is stacked with talent but hardly any of their players are actually in their prime, half of them are past it and the rest are way too green. They definitely aren't in great form either, if the AB's don't win IMO it would have to be a choke. I honestly can't see how they can lose to SA if they are playing at their best.

This definitely isn't to say they can't lose by any means but this AB's team (since the last world cup) has perhaps the greatest winning record of all time and they have learnt to win the big games. I definitely see Australia having a better chance of beating us as they appear to be peaking at the right time.

If we can contain Vermeulen then I reckon the game is half won, he is such a dynamic player and he seems to really inspire the rest of the Boks.

Expect a lot of kicking in this game with both teams trying to pin each other in their own halves. There will be lots of bombs and lots of diffusing to do from both sides. The rain can make things messy. There will be more counter attack from ABs. Boks will be aiming to slow down/turnover the ball in the breakdown. ABs will kick the ball long when in their own half, send up a bomb when near the half way, and attack from anywhere else.
In the last few seasons Boks have started well most times, hence the games have always been tight and only decided late in the match. So Boks must start well. ABs have been notoriously slow starters in the last 4 years but always go up gears as the game progresses with their superior bench and fitness. I would imagine ABs will be looking to replicate last weeks start. If ABs start well I don't think Boks will be able to keep up or come from behind.

Carter to be targeted? Note that this is his first game against the Boks since that controversial yellow card BDP received in Auckland a couple of years ago.

Accurate analysis. The boks are the best in the business when it comes to up & unders. Do not underestimate their ability to run the ball from deep in their own half. They have more pace in their back line than the AB's. I hope NOnu and smith are defensible aware. Savea had better be able to catch the high bombs that come his way. Savea needs to employ the side step in his game today. He will not easily run over boks the way he did to the French!

This is going to be a tight test match affair.
The bad weather will be a great leveller killing off a lot of the ball handling skills that are viable in dry weather and keeping it to simple basics.
High risk plays will result in spilt ball and wasted possession.
Keeping it simple like the Boks do will be the key to winning the game.
I can see the Boks rolling the AB's in this one.

Don't tell me the saffers play better in the rain, sounds like your getting your excuses ready. lol

It's logic mate, styles suit bad weather better and the Bok forwards style suits the bad weather better than the AB's forward style.
End of

I'm sweating on this game!Not with man flu or anything but a useful pick up from the bookies on a 4 timer provided the AB's win by 11-15pts.

RIGHT... Have decided to stay up. Got to the point of no return, i.e. past 12am... Thought "oh well... stay up now". About an hour to the Haka.. I don't know what we're going to see. I'm going to be nervous, that's for sure. All the "lads" in the house are getting up just before 4am to watch it with me. I want to believe that we will win, I would like to see us winning from start to finish, I mean, I could believe in that.. If South Africa don't get it done this World Cup, well... They're going to be a good team for the future anyway, lol. I think Nonu and Smith are really going to have it in for those young boys, and Pollard has never had to play Carter... So, I'm hoping that will lead to some fantastic tries. I would be surprised if there were less than 4 tries in this match, I reckon the teams are too good at attacking to not have a couple each, I just feel that NZ have the edge in that department.

ABs by 12+. please...?

RIGHT... Have decided to stay up. Got to the point of no return, i.e. past 12am... Thought "oh well... stay up now". About an hour to the Haka.. I don't know what we're going to see. I'm going to be nervous, that's for sure. All the "lads" in the house are getting up just before 4am to watch it with me. I want to believe that we will win, I would like to see us winning from start to finish, I mean, I could believe in that.. If South Africa don't get it done this World Cup, well... They're going to be a good team for the future anyway, lol. I think Nonu and Smith are really going to have it in for those young boys, and Pollard has never had to play Carter... So, I'm hoping that will lead to some fantastic tries. I would be surprised if there were less than 4 tries in this match, I reckon the teams are too good at attacking to not have a couple each, I just feel that NZ have the edge in that department.

ABs by 12+. please...?

How do you guys manage it with getting up so early so often for games? Or do you get used to it after a while ?

Good luck to both teams and heres to a great match. Not really bothered who wins but would be surprised if it was not NZ.........

How do you guys manage it with getting up so early so often for games? Or do you get used to it after a while ?

The only games I've got up for are:

NZ vs Argentina
South Africa vs Japan (I just happened to stay up lol)
England vs Wales
England vs Australia
NZ vs France

The rest have either been obvious enough that I'm happy with highlights or a full match replay. The rest have fallen around the time when I've been heading to work (just before 8am), so the WC has been quite kind. As for the quarters/semis/finals, it falls on Sunday/Monday mornings... I work Tuesday - Saturday, plus........................................ It's New Zealand......... It's rugby :).

I set my alarm...

Have barely missed a game this RWC. Now I'm waking up around1:30am even if I don't want to. Body clock.

Just over half an hour to go.
Going to bed was a waste of time tonight, woke up every hour and checked the time and then struggled to get back to sleep.
Massive game is finally arriving.

this is about to start! and this time instead of watching the arg espn broadcast im tunning some english transmition where some host is talking to wilkinson,sean fitzpatrik (so long since i last saw him) and francois piennar for the preview. they even have shane williams explaining off loads to newcomers! damm amazing we have put up with taquini and cosia hopefully we have some wisdom with albanese, despite of his pronunciation issues.

Latest posts