• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Semi Final 2: Australia vs. Argentina (25/10/2015)

lol, and here I was thinking that was more a North America thing :p .

With regard to the ANZAC relationship, as a general rule I think Kiwis are more likely to hate our guts in sport than the reverse... in fact for a lot of Aussies we'll switch to supporting the All Blacks if Australia is out. I said that to a Kiwi bloke I used to work with and he bluntly replied that while he's heard that from a lot of Aussies he finds it extremely difficult to find situations where he's backing an Aussie side unless we're playing England.

A lot of us do support you guys as well.

Aussies always my 2nd cricket team and was pleased when it was us in the final.

will take the same final in this we but with the result the other way around.

after all if we don't play each other winning the we won't count as much will it?

just don't want you winning this one as I remember hearing the first team to win 3 races gets to keep the trophy and a new trophy is made.

means we can't be having you or the Safa's win.

I love Argentina's national anthem.

people say the haka give s the AB's an edge but man having a really good anthem like that I think is better. Our one is so fricken boring, it doesn't inspire me at all never has.

its not like we dont have good songs we identify with... like this one:

http://www.folksong.org.nz/tutira_mai_nga_iwi/index.html

I always though this should be our anthem.

For the sake of our country's rugby I hope the majority is as discriminative as I am.
And I think this is in fact the case.
Most of course wont say it, but deep down Im positive most people in rugby feel the way I do.
If rugby gets "footballized" then we can forget about the sport.

We'll this pretty much gives us an insight into why non rugby people degrade the sport.

I think i understand where he is going. Not to the people but to "what football" brings.

To understand you must know how rugby is viewed here. Take in mind that "rugby" is family activity/friends/after you play.... where your go to you club , probably eat, stay all day then see the match of your first team while kids play in other part of the club or what the match.

No one curses players or referee(mostly)....it very amateur and some how pure still.

Football here is hooligans, violence, drinking in excess, fighting(yes people still die fighting). Literally it brings out the worst of the people.

So i think he is afraid that rugby loses that spirit where we may fight on the pitch but after the match is done we can drink a beer and let it behind.(yes very naive but we still have this)

I think i understand where he is going. Not to the people but to "what football" brings.

To understand you must know how rugby is viewed here. Take in mind that "rugby" is family activity/friends/after you play.... where your go to you club , probably eat, stay all day then see the match of your first team while kids play in other part of the club or what the match.

No one curses players or referee(mostly)....it very amateur and some how pure still.

Football here is hooligans, violence, drinking in excess, fighting(yes people still die fighting). Literally it brings out the worst of the people.

So i think he is afraid that rugby loses that spirit where we may fight on the pitch but after the match is done we can drink a beer and let it behind.(yes very naive but we still have this)

never seen rugby player drinking to much:lol:

I'm seeing many new Pumas supporters, which with luck know a few laws of rugby, trying to dictate terms and tell us what is right and what is wrong. I wonder if these characters were also Pumas supporters in the WC 1987,1991 or 1995, when the Pumas lost all their matches and the Argentina's TV didn't show the World Cup games.

They are like the Manchester United supporters in the 90s.

It's easy to be in favor of the winning team, and criticize the methods of that rugby community that always supported the team. Even when Pumas players didn't appear in TV adverts, when the ABs scored 100 points easy against the team, or when the Pumas went to the World Cup to lose all their games and take a picture with the rugby heroes like John Kirwan or Michael Lynagh. It turns out that these new supporters of the winning team, they are saying to those diehard rugby supporters who have been the heart of rugby for several decades in Argentina that they are wrong. Interesting

Last edited:
Argentina did not lose all games in 1987. We beat Italy. I remember that vividly because Juan Lanza was my coach (before that) and i remember congratulating him when they came back.

I'm seeing many new Pumas supporters, which with luck know a few laws of rugby, trying to dictate terms and tell us what is right and what is wrong. I wonder if these characters were also Pumas supporters in the WC 1987,1991 or 1995, when the Pumas lost all their matches and the Argentina's TV didn't show the World Cup games.

It's easy to be in favor of the winning team, and criticize the methods of that rugby community that always supported the team. Even when Pumas players didn't appear in TV adverts, when the ABs scored 100 points easy against the team, or when the Pumas went to the World Cup to lose all their games and take a picture with the rugby heroes like John Kirwan or Michael Lynagh. It turns out that these new supporters of the winning team, they are saying to those diehard rugby supporters who have been the heart of rugby for several decades in Argentina that they are wrong. Interesting

Amen.

Argentina did not lose all games in 1987. We beat Italy. I remember that vividly because Juan Lanza was my coach (before that) and i remember congratulating him when they came back.

the lanza brothers where from c.u.b.a! you played cuba and casi?

UHHHHH!!!...Eso fue un gigantesco "la tenes adentro" para C S...JAJAJAJJA!!

if you pretend I'm a newcomer to rugby you are wrong! i did play since i was born almost. did it in many different oositions along the way hooker flanker n8 lock. i saw michael johns play. i even had john Kirwan autograph in my bed room. i been though all those world cups you mentioned.

Hello all,

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. Just wanted to say that I get what Cruz_del_Sur is saying and I honestly consider rugby to be kind of an elitist sport in Argentina. For example, I went to the last game between the Springboks and the Pumas at Vélez Sarsfield's stadium and when I bought my tickets I found out that pretty much half of the stadium was booked for the people related to the clubs. So I have to ask, how does that help Argentine rugby to grow? I got into rugby thanks to a friend of mine around 2007 and since then I have watched all Pumas' games and followed Argentina's local rugby as well as European, SR and International Tests. But I never hold a rugby ball in my hands actually, even though my dad used to play rugby as a kid. Is that bad? I don't think it's wrong for Argentina rugby to expand itself and bring people not currently linked to it.

The same applies in England and Australia. The RFU distributes tickets between rugby clubs because they are the impetus of rugby in the country.

To get a ticket for a Wallaby test match in Australia, those people who have Super Rugby memberships have priority in ticket sales. Because they are the heart of rugby in Australia. They are the ones who play the game, they are who bring their children to the rugby clubs, are the ones who support the team always. They support the grassroots rugby, they support the Club Rugby, they support the NRC teams, they support the Super Rugby franchises, they are the heart of Australian rugby and without them there would be no rugby in Australia.

In England also they have priority the rugby clubs, because they are the heart of the English rugby.

To say that rugby is elitist because it gives preference to those who have supported the rugby for decades, even when the code wasn't popular and the TV didn't show the Pumas games, that is pure nonsense. If the Pumas have won games in the World Cup it is thanks to the great rugby community in the country which always have supported our sport, even when the rugby wasn't popular in Argentina and the Pumas were like Uruguay, a team that lost all their pool games.

The difference between the true supporters of rugby is that they have always supported rugby and always will do it. The new rugby supporters are like the Manchester United supporters as they give their support when the team wins, but if the team lose only say stupid things.

Gentes, bajemos los egos (yo incluido). Esto no es quien quien la tiene mas larga.
El tema es Arg vs Aus.
Sds

the lanza brothers where from c.u.b.a! you played cuba and casi?
Fue mi entrenador en el colegio.

It's an expression. Is like say: "When Argentina didn't score tries" Ohhhh Wait wait! Martin Teran made 2 tries against the Wallabies in RWC 1991.

Really? You have discovered America!

Christ lads! I'm off to training for two hours and you guys make such a fuss? Can't say we don't put on a good show. A bajar los decibeles muchachos y guardar la furia para los canguros.

Ok, lo último que digo del tema y en castellano.

Que una comunidad quiera proteger aquello que la constituye es lo más lógico del mundo. El rugby tiene muchas cosas, muchos conflictos, muchas mezquindades, peleas, golpes bajos. Eso se acepta y ok, todos han tenido que vivir con ello cuando jugaban contra CASI SIC Lomas Belgrano Alumni quien sea. Eso sí, desués salen de Argentina y todas esas rivalidades quedan donde deben estar: lejos. Ahora bien, yo no tengo ningún problema con que nadie nuevo se sume a la fiesta, simplemente que no ensucien, que no traigan todo lo que implica la escoria de fútbol, en la que los barra bravas controlan el estadio y te dicen si podés dejar el auto y si no te lo queman; donde la gente va borracha al partido, donde muere gente apuñalada y hay peleas y los chicos no pueden ir al partido por que el ambiente es infeccioso. En otras palabras, no quiero ésto:

Y ésto viene de afuera, imparcialidad máxima. Entonces, si la gente se suma con el mejor espíritu, diez puntos.

So, Pocock and co. out of the match?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's an expression. Is like say: "When Argentina didn't score tries" Ohhhh Wait wait! Martin Teran made 2 tries against the Wallabies in RWC 1991.
I wasn't trying to be smart or anything, just factually correct.
I've tried to tone it down, so I'm going to let this one slide. Next time i'll tear you a new one (intellectually speaking, course).

Really? You have discovered America!
Speaking of expressions, that one doesn't really translate.

Last edited:
Why is it that we fight amongst each other? It's like we're in a constant struggle of one-upmanship to see who's the most, and pardon the expression, "pija".

Latest posts