• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Semi Final 2: Australia vs. Argentina (25/10/2015)

whats wrong if society focuses on pumas victories for a while. its normal for every sport! who cares about girls hockey??.. but when las leonas and luciana aymar started that great team we all watched it cos` they not only win but played very good. you don t have to be an expert to enjoy a sport. i allways watch the superbowl and i know little to nothing about american football. cos its interesting period.

Is this still going on?
I thought that just 2 days away from the match we would be discussing rugby by now.

Well... Can Pumas beat a Wallaby side with Pocock in the lineup? I think Pumas will have to be super aggressive from kick off and not let foot off accelerator after a try. Wallaby will score three tries in quick succession.

When 2 argentinians get together, 3 disputes come along. Opinions are not facts.
Going back down to the basement now, hoping for the focus to switch back to the match.

Well... Can Pumas beat a Wallaby side with Pocock in the lineup? I think Pumas will have to be super aggressive from kick off and not let foot off accelerator after a try. Wallaby will score three tries in quick succession.

Pocock is definitely a big boost for Oz. However if the Pumas can dominate the contact they'll have a good chance.

Pocock is definitely a big boost for Oz. However if the Pumas can dominate the contact they'll have a good chance.

It also depends on just how fit he really is... If they're playing him despite the injury still being an issue, then his effectiveness won't be so great. Also, let's face it, the Argentinians probably outplayed the All Blacks for the first half of the match in the pools and so it's probably fair to say that they're still a strong shot against the Wallabies.

Selling half price Cat B pair of semi tickets for Argentina v Australia this Sunday. Heartbroken Irish fan trying lessen the pain! £315 for the pair, face value was £630. Watch Argentina go into the final!!! Text me on 00447530018964. Thanks, G

It also depends on just how fit he really is... If they're playing him despite the injury still being an issue, then his effectiveness won't be so great. Also, let's face it, the Argentinians probably outplayed the All Blacks for the first half of the match in the pools and so it's probably fair to say that they're still a strong shot against the Wallabies.

Agreed that Argentina still have a good shot, however, I think Aussie are 2:1 favorites.

Well, we saw how Scotland performed and they were well outside, I think they were paying about $6 or $8 for the win?

Course not. I'm not saying it is right. I am saying it just is. Post #286 on this thread is a text book example of what i tried to explain.

Think about it this way: some people would rather sacrifice good supporters coming into the game if that prevents "bad" supporters coming in.
Again, i'm not passing a judgement here. I'm just trying to explain the rationale behind it.

Sorry but I don't know what you mean by 'bad supporters'.

- - - Updated - - -

Ref will be über-cautious about Herera's brainfarts. Hope he's not a liability for the Pumas.

Let's just hope he doesn't get wind of them.

I'd say Pumas are gonna start very strong like they did against ABs and Ireland, but then they gonna tired up with the time and Australia will eventually come back on the game. It will be a very close match until the final though... I don't feel comfortable taking a guess in the score.

Wait a sec, how much time is Pocock going to be able to play? Maybe he's only for 40 min.

In that context, people who show up only when the team is winning.

I still don't know what you mean by 'show up'?

Here where I now live, in Western Australia, despite being English and supporting England, I have seen the All Blacks play W.A., and Australia play South Africa in what used to be the Tri Nations. I intend to move to Tasmania asap, and will then definitely go to the MCG to watch whenever a rugby international is being played there, whether it's the Southern Hemisphere's The Rugby Championship or a Northern Hemisphere side touring, even if it isn't England. How does any of that relate to your 'show up' comment?

I still don't know what you mean by 'show up'?

Here where I now live, in Western Australia, despite being English and supporting England, I have seen the All Blacks play W.A., and Australia play South Africa in what used to be the Tri Nations. I intend to move to Tasmania asap, and will then definitely go to the MCG to watch whenever a rugby international is being played there, whether it's the Southern Hemisphere's The Rugby Championship or a Northern Hemisphere side touring, even if it isn't England. How does any of that relate to your 'show up' comment?
I think he's referring to the bandwagon supporters.

I think he's referring to the bandwagon supporters.

But it seems a weird thing to say, because I just don't know or see how you could measure or quantify it. Like I can't imagine anyone joining this forum, for example, who doesn't really like or love rugby union. One of my best friends, a West Ham fan, with me a Spurs fan, once said to me that if Rugby Union could take off over the world in the way football/soccer has, it would rival it as the world game. I reckon there's real substance to that view. I mean, the four quarter-finals were top-notch viewing and if the semis are as good, then we're in for a real treat.

Good morning,
I have a wheelchair + a carer ticket for tomorrow's Argentina v Austrailia semi final going. I'm in Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham but I'm afraid my friend is too ill to make it. If you can collect it you can have it! Shame to see a Pitchside ticket like this go to waste. ImageUploadedByRugby Forum1445668553.181285.jpg

But it seems a weird thing to say, because I just don't know or see how you could measure or quantify it. Like I can't imagine anyone joining this forum, for example, who doesn't really like or love rugby union. One of my best friends, a West Ham fan, with me a Spurs fan, once said to me that if Rugby Union could take off over the world in the way football/soccer has, it would rival it as the world game. I reckon there's real substance to that view. I mean, the four quarter-finals were top-notch viewing and if the semis are as good, then we're in for a real treat.

You have to understand that the bandwagon supporters are also the first ones to abandon the team and be the most vocal critics. The biggest cliche was due to the Pumas history of near-wins over the last 20 years and the accompanying slogan by detractors was always "a dignified defeat". And that has always been used as the rallying cry of all the loud-mouthed critics who don't know much about rugby but still decide to vent their hatred.

So the issue we have is not so much with the casual fans who cheer and support but dont know much beyond the basics, but with the typical critic who is always looking for an excuse to lambast the team be it with ****ty political, social or soccer-based arguments.

You have to understand that the bandwagon supporters are also the first ones to abandon the team and be the most vocal critics. The biggest cliche was due to the Pumas history of near-wins over the last 20 years and the accompanying slogan by detractors was always "a dignified defeat". And that has always been used as the rallying cry of all the loud-mouthed critics who don't know much about rugby but still decide to vent their hatred.

So the issue we have is not so much with the casual fans who cheer and support but dont know much beyond the basics, but with the typical critic who is always looking for an excuse to lambast the team be it with ****ty political, social or soccer-based arguments.

Well, sir, I know, like most rugby union lovers, that the ability of a country with a population of around just 5 million, to continually produce the teams the All Blacks produce is nothing short of phenomenal, but I'm sure I'm not the only non-Argentinian on the planet who would just love to see you win this trophy.

But it seems a weird thing to say, because I just don't know or see how you could measure or quantify it.
Not necessarily measure it, but you can spot it a mile away. Not just in rugby but in any sport. Think of Manchester United or Real Madrid fans in say, Bangkok or LA. Think of people who will have the latest shirt when their playing the final but will never stay awake till 3 am (time difference) to watch the game unless it's an event.

Again, I don't think there is anything wrong with that, but i can at the very least understand the rationale of people who do.

Like I can't imagine anyone joining this forum, for example, who doesn't really like or love rugby union.
Maybe that's the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, sir, I know, like most rugby union lovers, that the ability of a country with a population of around just 5 million, to continually produce the teams the All Blacks produce is nothing short of phenomenal, but I'm sure I'm not the only non-Argentinian on the planet who would just love to see you win this trophy.
The population is one of the factors but hardly the most important one, particularly for a sport like rugby. Focus is actually more important. Their best athletes, since day one, are focusing on rugby.

Latest posts