• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 RBS Six Nations] Round 3: England vs. Ireland (27/02/2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple question - do you think daly will get blooded this weekend? Is it even in Eddie's plans for daly to play or is he there as injury cover primarily .

Davis cup counts as a Britain win not a Scotland win it isn't the same.

Your kiwi friends must be the exceptions

Most arrogant rugby the New Zealanders, fans well before the bloody English rugby fans.

You clearly missed the joke regarding the Davis Cup ;)

Sorry but I can't follow your grammar regarding the second point.

So dreams do come true. Daly selected on the bench ahead of Lawes. Three backs on the bench this time round. Maybe EJ is looking to unleash some pace towards the end hopefully in a bid to finish the Irish off. Just hope he gets the 12 spot alongside JJ that could be pretty exciting combo.

Makes me slightly annoyed that Daly wasn't used V Italy what was the point of having Lawes on the bench last weekend exactly?

Saying that better late than never.

So dreams do come true. Daly selected on the bench ahead of Lawes. Three backs on the bench this time round. Maybe EJ is looking to unleash some pace towards the end hopefully in a bid to finish the Irish off. Just hope he gets the 12 spot alongside JJ that could be pretty exciting combo.

Not sure where a few people are getting this idea that Daly will come on and play at inside centre? As far as I'm aware He has never played there before. He'll come on to replace Joseph (or a winger & Joseph will move out to a wing).

I hope he gets some game time. He was excellent again for wasps on the weekend & gives us real quality backup at 13.

Not sure where a few people are getting this idea that Daly will come on and play at inside centre? As far as I'm aware He has never played there before. He'll come on to replace Joseph (or a winger & Joseph will move out to a wing).

I hope he gets some game time. He was excellent again for wasps on the weekend & gives us real quality backup at 13.

Jones has said he has been training @12 among other positions.

Simple question - do you think daly will get blooded this weekend? Is it even in Eddie's plans for daly to play or is he there as injury cover primarily .

I hope Daly gets some game time, he's very versatile covering 12-15 potentially. I think baring injury the 6N 10-12 will remain as Ford and Farrell.

Daly IMO is a better bench option than Goode moving forward if he doesn't displace Joseph at outside centre.

Jones has said he has been training @12 among other positions.

I'm surprised to hear this, given that I'm not sure he's ever lined upn at 12 for Wasps. Always figured he'd end up the long-term solution at either 13 or 15.

That said, if he wants to find a way to develop a fine young pair of English 13s into a potent solution to the centre problem then I'm all for it. A fine boot at second receiver. SL's dream ticket.

Could we see changes to the starting XV? I'm a fan of Ford, but he's been off the boil in recent months, so maybe time to shift Farrell to 10 and see what Daly has to offer at 12? Too much, too soon?

Rumours are if Payne is out McCloskey will start with Henshaw at 13. Earls at 11.

Josh Van Der Flier set to start at 7. Ross to start at 3. Healy on bench as is Dillane.

Rob Kearney
Trimble
Henshaw
McCloskey
Earls
Sexton
Murray
Heaslip
Van Der Flier
Stander
Ryan
Toner
Ross
Best
McGrath

Strauss
Healy
White
Dillane
TOD
Reddan
Madigan
Zebo

That the rumour. If Payne fit he will replace McCloskey
That's sweet, kinda hope Payne doesn't make it! Persisting with Mads at 22 though? Jackson deserves it after Madigan's last two non-performances.

I'm surprised to hear this, given that I'm not sure he's ever lined upn at 12 for Wasps. Always figured he'd end up the long-term solution at either 13 or 15.

That said, if he wants to find a way to develop a fine young pair of English 13s into a potent solution to the centre problem then I'm all for it. A fine boot at second receiver. SL's dream ticket.

Could we see changes to the starting XV? I'm a fan of Ford, but he's been off the boil in recent months, so maybe time to shift Farrell to 10 and see what Daly has to offer at 12? Too much, too soon?

I think throwing a green lad (at international level) in at an unfamiliar position would be potential suicide so Jones won't do it.

Rumours are that Marler will start at loose head, and Launch didn't take part in the full session yesterday so may be carrying a slight knock-perhaps Itoje will start but doubt it. Otherwise pretty much the same side played Italy, Care looked much sharper than Youngs so would start him.

I think throwing a green lad (at international level) in at an unfamiliar position would be potential suicide so Jones won't do it.

Rumours are that Marler will start at loose head, and Launch didn't take part in the full session yesterday so may be carrying a slight knock-perhaps Itoje will start but doubt it. Otherwise pretty much the same side played Italy, Care looked much sharper than Youngs so would start him.

I'm not sure I'd call him entirely green, as he's played some pretty significant U20s games over the years, but I see your point. Would be a fair move to target him, especially if he's in an unfamiliar space. I'd certainly agree that he'd offer a better long-term bench option than Goode, and by quite some distance.

I don't think Daly will be a first choice 12 for England but as it stands he's certainly a viable option. Once The injured lads are back he will most likely move back to 13. EJ has stated he wants 3 quality players available in every position which is smart. It keeps people on their toes and hungry and gives like for like replacements when injuries etc occur. So I'd imagine we will see rotation of JJ and Daly once 12 cover is available. I doubt Daly will start at 12 but I think jones might be minded to bring him on for Faz or Ford at 12 should England look like pulling away. In any event he's put three backs on the bench this game which may hint at a more expansive impact game plan? As already stated JJ and Daly would be a tough combo for a tired defence in the last 20, especially in a kick chase scenario.

I'm not sure I'd call him entirely green, as he's played some pretty significant U20s games over the years, but I see your point. Would be a fair move to target him, especially if he's in an unfamiliar space. I'd certainly agree that he'd offer a better long-term bench option than Goode, and by quite some distance.

True but you can't compare under age sides to an international test match environment IMO.

Most likely explanation is Daly could come on as part of a variety of different backlines. A Daly-Joseph centre combo is one of those, possibly to unleash hell if the England pack is absolutely creaming Ireland and we're already ahead, but he could also come on as a straight swap for JJ, at 13 shifting JJ to the wing, on the wing as a straight swap, on the wing shifting Watson or Nowell to fullback, straight swap for Brown, maybe not coming on at all. Jones knows he gives his options, and probably (hopefully) isn't deciding which option to take in advance.

For my money, Daly to 12 is one of the least likely of those options - since it involves debuting a player in an unfamiliar position in a massive game. I don't want to see him at inside centre myself; we have massive problems at 12 and people are desperate to find a solution - but for me no reasonable solution involves changing a player's position without making him learn it at club level first. Tuilagi could be an option, so could Slade, so could (less likely) Daly - all players who have at some point been touted as the answer, but all players who do not play there at the moment. I think we should be fairly circumspect about all of them - all of them constitute, to some extent, an experiment in that position.

Looks like the daily mail are implying Itoje will start on Saturday . It doesn't say if they think it will be the second row or 6 though ......

Wonder if they will give Itoje the start in that case.

Jones seems to be airing on the side of caution in bloodying the new guys, he might bring Lawes right back in.

I'd start Maro, deffo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts