• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 RBS Six Nations] Round 2: Wales vs England (11/02/2017)

I'm getting worried about the Welsh up front. I'd say they have only the fifth best pack in the competition in terms of set piece (although maybe still ahead of Scotland at the breakdown so I'd rate them fourth or third there). I don't think that will give them much chance against England.

I'm getting worried about the Welsh up front. I'd say they have only the fifth best pack in the competition in terms of set piece (although maybe still ahead of Scotland at the breakdown so I'd rate them fourth or third there). I don't think that will give them much chance against England.

I'd agree, if not for the players England are missing. I know it's a knee jerk reaction to form conclusions from a single game, but I think France really showed how much we miss our grafters- people like Robshaw, Billy, Kruis. Hopefully Launchbury and Itoje can step up to their previous highs and Clifford, Hughes and Lawes can justify their selection.

I'm very, very nervous about this game.

I would be willing to bet a very large amount of money that the Wales performance will be the best from them since the last against the All-Blacks. I'm extremely confident of this. The question is how much better than recent performances it will be and whether it will be enough to get on top of us.

We will need a whole pack shift at the breakdown, particularly so if Wood starts. Clifford starting would give me significantly more reason to be optimistic.

What odds on JJ getting an intercept try off of Sam Davies?
I really rate Davies but he's show that he's rattled under pressure at this level, so if we target him he's gonna be making some very questionable playmaking decisions.

What are the odds EJ telling Courtney Lawes to hit the delete button on Davies?

A questionably late hit or two would certainly see him shipping the ball on quicker/less accurately.

What odds on JJ getting an intercept try off of Sam Davies?
I really rate Davies but he's show that he's rattled under pressure at this level, so if we target him he's gonna be making some very questionable playmaking decisions.

That's a bloody good call. I'm going to put money on JJ to score, and if it comes from a Davies interception I'll come to Manchester and buy you a pint*

*Disclaimer: I won't come to Manchester and buy you a pint

That's a bloody good call. I'm going to put money on JJ to score, and if it comes from a Davies interception I'll come to Manchester and buy you a pint*

*Disclaimer: I won't come to Manchester and buy you a pint
That's alright cause I don't live in Manchester, the west midlands is far closer to Bath :D

England are missing 4 of their first choice pack and were badly beaten up front by the French. I don't subscribe to the notion that they hold all the aces in the forwards. However, Wales have been playing within themselves for so long now you can't be too confident they're gonna have what it takes on the day.

Close game. I'll go for Wales by 1.

ITV reporting Tom Wood is fit to play but hasn't trained all week(??).

Wood to bench seems likely (thank god)- two of Haskell, Clifford and Itoje to start on the flanks?

EDIT: I'll learn to read the article some day. He's been in "modified training" to protect his shoulder.

We must be desperate if he's still being considered for selection. Why oh why can't we have the option of Ewers, Kvesic, Welch, etc?

Last edited:
England are missing 4 of their first choice pack and were badly beaten up front by the French. I don't subscribe to the notion that they hold all the aces in the forwards. However, Wales have been playing within themselves for so long now you can't be too confident they're gonna have what it takes on the day.

Close game. I'll go for Wales by 1.

We weren't badly beaten up front I don't think . The French were engaging early and the referee rightly penalised them for it . I haven't seen the stats but I'd say the scrum penalties were fairly even tbh

The French pack was arguably much more daunting than the Welsh one too. A 6'6 150kg prop is pretty terrifying and Picamoles is always gonna wreak havoc. They were always gonna be able to outmuscle us.

ITV reporting Tom Wood is fit to play but hasn't trained all week(??).

Wood to bench seems likely (thank god)- two of Haskell, Clifford and Itoje to start on the flanks?

EDIT: I'll learn to read the article some day. He's been in "modified training" to protect his shoulder.

We must be desperate if he's still being considered for selection. Why oh why can't we have the option of Ewers, Kvesic, Welch, etc?

Ewers still injured? I was wondering this morning where all our 6s in waiting had gone and his was the first name I thought of

- - - Updated - - -

We weren't badly beaten up front I don't think . The French were engaging early and the referee rightly penalised them for it . I haven't seen the stats but I'd say the scrum penalties were fairly even tbh

We didnt concede at the scrum until about 55m I believe, when they replaced the front row

Ewers still injured? I was wondering this morning where all our 6s in waiting had gone and his was the first name I thought of

Yes - well... not still, he played for Exe before Christmas, but I think he either re-did the injury or picked up something else.

So the news out of the Welsh camp is that Faletau is fit, but likely to start on the bench, and that North and Biggar will have late fitness tests before the team is announced tomorrow at 11am.

I think whether or not Biggar is ruled out, we'll see Sam Davies start after his 2nd half performance. However Owen Williams will come onto the bench if Biggar is out, and honestly it's about bloody time he gets a cap! I mean I don't want Biggar to be injured, but I'd love to see Owen on the bench to cover 10 and 12 (oh how I would love to see what a S Davies - O Williams 10 - 12 axis could do...) with either Steff Evans or Ashton Hewitt in the no.23 shirt - not much point Roberts being there, especially if a guy with proven experience at 12 is already on the bench!

If North is out then in an ideal world Evans or Hewitt would start. However we live in a world that's far from ideal, so I'd confidently put a hell of a lot of money on Cuthbert starting :rolleyes:

Other than that, I'd expect Rob Evans and Francis to start, without much change elsewhere!

I've always rated the Scottish breakdown. Especially with possession, probably in the top 3 sides in the world at retaining their own ball. Defensively though not that great. We're pretty crap at keeping our own ball, even with simple pick and goes we look disorganised as ****.

So the news out of the Welsh camp is that Faletau is fit, but likely to start on the bench, and that North and Biggar will have late fitness tests before the team is announced tomorrow at 11am.

I think whether or not Biggar is ruled out, we'll see Sam Davies start after his 2nd half performance. However Owen Williams will come onto the bench if Biggar is out, and honestly it's about bloody time he gets a cap! I mean I don't want Biggar to be injured, but I'd love to see Owen on the bench to cover 10 and 12 (oh how I would love to see what a S Davies - O Williams 10 - 12 axis could do...) with either Steff Evans or Ashton Hewitt in the no.23 shirt - not much point Roberts being there, especially if a guy with proven experience at 12 is already on the bench!

If North is out then in an ideal world Evans or Hewitt would start. However we live in a world that's far from ideal, so I'd confidently put a hell of a lot of money on Cuthbert starting :rolleyes:

Other than that, I'd expect Rob Evans and Francis to start, without much change elsewhere!

You think with Biggar available a young, mercurial 10 will get his first start against the strongest team in the competition in what's traditionally a tense game? That sounds like the sort of selection decision I would be very happy to see as an England fan to be honest, not that I don't believe he's talented.

Anyway, if any international coach is going to make that sort of balls-on-the-table decision it's not Howley, surely?

If England can get significantly more fired up in defence and really hit the contact areas hard we should have enough firepower to beat this Welsh side. Passion is going to play its part and wales will have it in spades. England need to find theirs and quickly. I can see a lot of tactical kicking. England must control the pace of the game and play in the right areas. No show boating from deep. We certainly can win the game. Very hard to say if we will.

Latest posts