• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 November Tests] England vs Japan (17/11/18)

Interesting to see how Nowell goes at 13 and Cokanasiga getting his chance as well as Mercer who get's a start at 8 but why lawes at 6? Does Eddie contractually have to pick an extra 2nd row? I'm also not sure what Wigglesworth brings from the bench in this game either.

I think Wigglesworth is gonna be his 3rd choice 9 for world cup, he's there to get some time out there in case of Youngs/Care getting injured.

Lawes at 6 is just to get him some game time before Australia I'd suggest, when Ewels drops back to the bench, Shields in etc. Be nice to see Underhill come on for him though, and how that backrow functioned as a unit

One thing that really stood out to me last week was Underhill's running lines in the forward pods, they were awesome, be nice to see if it wasnt just a one off thing

Hmm.

Backline is very exciting,
Backrow is a mess

Probably Hepburn's big chance to impress before injuries start filtering back in

He just can't bring himself to play Ford alongside 2 real centres can he.

Having said that, if Nowell goes well at OC (and the only reason he shouldn't is experience there), then that backline could really let rip.

Not sure Ewels and Itoje are particularly good matches for each other at lock, but... Very mobile though.

These things should be relatively fine against Japan, but it really since to either of those pairings (lock, centres) against someone like the Aussies.

Beyond that, Lawes needs game-time before Australia, and I'd guess Underhill may be feeling a bit beaten up after NZ. I'd rather Itoje dropped to bench, Lawes at lock and SU at 7... Surely that decision is down to non-playing reasons...

Last edited:
Wow, and I thought he'd be conservative!

That's an odd back row, though. Wilson seems to do a job wherever you put him, so fine, but surely 6: Wilson 7: Underhill 8: Mercer was the setup to fit Mercer in. Lawes at 6 seems odd, but I'll reserve judgement.

I've actually wanted to see Nowell at 13 for ages. The backs in general look like a good setup, and I'm glad Loz is getting a run out.

Don't really know anything about Cokanasiga, but I assume his name keeps cropping up in discussion threads for a reason.

Mixed. Excited by 8, 12 and 14.

Shame Itoje and Faz haven't been given the week off.

Scrum half situation still drives me mad.

Mixed. Excited by 8, 12 and 14.

Shame Itoje and Faz haven't been given the week off.

Scrum half situation still drives me mad.

Farrell is England's most important plater IMO, I don't get why he wasn't rested either.

Glad to see Hill in there, he's gonna develop into an outstanding player. Kinda mad that he's getting capped before Marcus Smith or Ben Curry out of the U20s though.

ESPN stats show he's played 3 competitive games for Warriors, only starting once. He may have potential oozing out of every pore, but this is premature.

Maybe he's eligible for Wales/Scotland/Ireland?

Very possible we're just trying to cap him young - we did the same with Brookes and the other Newcastle tighthead (can't remember his name, think he retired last year) as they were being groomed by Ireland/Scotland respectively

Maybe he's eligible for Wales/Scotland/Ireland?

Very possible we're just trying to cap him young - we did the same with Brookes and the other Newcastle tighthead (can't remember his name, think he retired last year) as they were being groomed by Ireland/Scotland respectively

Good thought.

If that is the case, I hope he doesn't regret it. 19 is very young to be making that kind of career defining decision.

By committing himself to Eng he'd be putting himself up against some serious competition: Robshaw, Shields, Underhill, Lawes / Itoje, Willis, Wilson, Mercer could all be competing for the 6 shirt, and that's just now, the conveyor belt will produce more in the next couple of years. It's not like there's a clear opening into the team for him.

Be interesting to see if that is the case or if he's just thought of as a massive prospect. But either way that little club action shouldn't get you a senior international shirt.

I'm sure James Ryan made his debut for Ireland before Leinster and that's turned out alright.

Ollie Barkley definitely played for England before Bath
I'll raise you an Andy Long. Being capped so early was probably the worst thing that happened to him. He subsequently admitted that he wasn't physically or mentally ready.

I'll raise you an Andy Long. Being capped so early was probably the worst thing that happened to him. He subsequently admitted that he wasn't physically or mentally ready.
Pretty sure he'd started for Bath before being selected hadn't he?
But yes, Long should never have been called up

Pretty sure he'd started for Bath before being selected hadn't he?
But yes, Long should never have been called up
Yeah he had, but not often.

Its always a big judgement call with youngsters.

Big Joe's only got 21 games under his belt - that's about a season. Mercer 32. But that's a big difference from 3!

I'm confused - that'll teach me to spend the day a fully paying attention to British politics on News24!

I thought you were raising me, as in a better proof on concept than Barkley's 0?

Either way, I think we're all agreed that it's very early for JC4, but... If he takes to international rugby like a duck to water, he'll be going to the RWC

ETA, your 21 matches is just premiership starts, he's also got 3 European starts, 3 Euro subs + LV, Championship and B&ICup matches under his belt. He's young, he's also in his 3rd year

Last edited:
I think Hill being included probably has a lot to do with it being Japan - and therefore he's not going to be physically underdeveloped relative to the opposition.

Latest posts