• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 November Tests] England vs New Zealand 10/11/18

Teo is a bit dodge, he was a massive problem in the 1st test. He played well himself but just wasn't a fantastic fit for beating NZ due to him being totally one dimensional.

He didn't even play well in the SA game, 50% of his tackles missed and made only 4 metres. Granted he's out of form and fitness but that isn't very good at all.

Moon starting: Well deserved
Little disappointed Sinckler is starting.
WTF has Mercer been dropped? should of been looking at starting this week.
Slade has to be on a last chance right? We're going to persevere with him throughout the AI's aren't we? Dudes average at best at this level.
Te'o prefer to see on the bench but whatcha going to do with no Manu
Don't understand dropping Nowell guy was pretty solid in defence in the first half ah well its not like Ashton is a proven turnstile at international rugby and the AB's have a potent attack...

Still think backswise Brown back, Daly to outside center, Ford/Farrell would of given us the best change. But knew it wouldn't happen.

Going to need some magic dunno where its coming from.

Just thinking, but ive always been a huge fan of Underhill in the tackle. He flattens players, hits them hard and low, making the offload a nightmare because they're off balance. Would love to see SBW running hard at him, just to see what happens

Re Manu, I'd assume Nowell has 23 shirt ahead of him due to being better cover, and we'll see him at another point in the series.

The only real issue I have is I thought Mercer was fantastic last week, and deserved at least a bench spot, but other than that, the team EJ has picked is decent enough. It'll be hard, physical and confrontational, and I honestly can't wait til Saturday. If England are fired up with confidence and self belief, I think they could dominate the gain line

Would have loved Daly to 13, but I think by now its plain to see EJ doesnt see him there

If Underhill gets injured (which isn't unlikely these days) we're looking at a back row of:
6. Lawes
7. Wilson
8. Shields

Why would EJ put himself in a situation where that's not massively unlikely to happen... madness

Or Itoje to 6, either way I don't think that's necessarily an awful back row - Wilson can certainly do a job at 7. Unless it's Shields at 8 that's upsetting you, in which case I can see your point.

Just thinking, but ive always been a huge fan of Underhill in the tackle. He flattens players, hits them hard and low, making the offload a nightmare because they're off balance. Would love to see SBW running hard at him, just to see what happens

Re Manu, I'd assume Nowell has 23 shirt ahead of him due to being better cover, and we'll see him at another point in the series.

The only real issue I have is I thought Mercer was fantastic last week, and deserved at least a bench spot, but other than that, the team EJ has picked is decent enough. It'll be hard, physical and confrontational, and I honestly can't wait til Saturday. If England are fired up with confidence and self belief, I think they could dominate the gain line
I think Underhill is definitely their best guy for that exact reason. Dominant collisions beat NZ, Underhill guarantees a few of those in D every game, he's on there to provide a momentum shift when its needed.

I think Underhill is definitely their best guy for that exact reason. Dominant collisions beat NZ, Underhill guarantees a few of those in D every game, he's on there to provide a momentum shift when its needed.

Exactly. I still remember his champions cup debut for Ospreys v the might of Clermont Auvergne, his involvement was quite simply staggering. No matter the ball carrier, he was stopped dead in his tracks, and his clearout work at the break down was also fantastic. Me and my dad couldn't believe what was going on

Also am I the only one that thought Ashton looked really sharp when he came on last week? Nowell, as seen on the Lions tour, cannot be left one on one v Ioane, and that extends to Naholo as well. He's just not got the speed if they get past a rush defense, which I hope is what we employ. It's pretty much the only way of stifling their attack, again as shown by the Lions.

Last edited:
Underhill makes the kind of (clean) hits that make players trepid going up against him. If he stays fit he should be a mainstay in England we need a dominant tackler like him.

Nowell covers wing centre and fullback so makes sense as a bench option, but I'd still rather Tuilagi involved - gotta be injured still, surely. He's so much better than teo.

Moon deserves a start, he proved me completely wrong last week.

Dropping Mercer is mental. He should be starting, drop shields or one of ewells/lawes.

Don't think sink earned his start.

Cannot understand Mercer being out to accommodate 2 second row subs.

Illogical and probably not great man management either.

Tuilagi clearly still not right.

I like Nowell as a bench option rather than starter, but Ashton? On what basis? He's barely played this season.

If this goes right, we could be competitive, but it could be humiliating if it goes wrong. How many players would we have in a combined XV? You could make an argument for literally none.

How many players would we have in a combined XV? You could make an argument for literally none.
As much as it pains be to say it Barrett is tad overrated, mind you so is Farrell but they'd make good company trying to pick one.

The rest yeah....

Quite disappointed with that side to be honest, I'm a fan of Nowell so no way I would drop him for Ashton. It's harsh on Mercer too to be left out. I hope it is that Manu is still injured because I was looking forward to see his return in an England shirt.

As much as it pains be to say it Barrett is tad overrated, mind you so is Farrell but they'd make good company trying to pick one.

The rest yeah....

I'm taking this as a full blown Farrell endorsement and acknowledgement that he must be at least the 2nd best fly-half in the world (behind Jonny Refshield)

Given that Te'o-Slade was pretty porous, and tackling is banned by Ashton's religion or something, I guess the plan is to go all-out attack to try and outscore them? They'll score 4+ so we'll try to score 5+? (He says optimistically)

I'm taking this as a full blown Farrell endorsement and acknowledgement that he must be at least the 2nd best fly-half in the world (behind Jonny Refshield)
Well third behind George Ford ;)

Honestly though Sexton is the best, everyone else is a fair bit behind and there isn't huge amount to choose between all the 2nd placers.

Regarding Mercer, I do think he needs to mature a bit physically still and I'm happy knowing he won't get Isiekwed if NZ dominate, which wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility assuming he was thrown in.

I also thought that Ewels really brought some extra physicality when he came on and can see (at least conceptually) the idea behind bringing on a couple of big, powerful hitters to try and prevent NZ falling into their usual grove around the 60 min mark.

Well third behind George Ford ;)

Honestly though Sexton is the best, everyone else is a fair bit behind and there isn't huge amount to choose between all the 2nd placers.
This is the best England thread ever.

Also am I the only one that thought Ashton looked really sharp when he came on last week? Nowell, as seen on the Lions tour, cannot be left one on one v Ioane, and that extends to Naholo as well. He's just not got the speed if they get past a rush defense, which I hope is what we employ. It's pretty much the only way of stifling their attack, again as shown by the Lions.

And Ashton is well renowned for his defence?

Regarding Mercer, I do think he needs to mature a bit physically still and I'm happy knowing he won't get Isiekwed if NZ dominate, which wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility assuming he was thrown in.

He went really well last week against possibly the most physical team around. He'll be absolutely fine provided he isn't given a brick wall brief. Quite apart from probably being a daft tactical call, what message does this send him?

I could see the logic of starting with a more lock loaded side to force an arm wrestle in the early stages and keep us in the game. But lobbing on locks as the game breaks up is just barmy. Just as well the ABs are rubbish in space with ball in hand.

Very disappointed in Jones. Again.

Latest posts