• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] France vs Wales (01/02/2019)

Not you but others I would say

Whether we're right or wrong... it doesn't matter, people are aloud to support whomever they want whenever they want. I encourage it... but when you do so you gotta be prepared for the possible hurt.

It just causes more hurt when a large percentage of people build a subconscious grudge against an opponent... it causes pain when that team win games (particularly when you win games that you really shouldn't). English fans should know this more than anyone, what with the majority of the world wanting them to lose at literally every sport they compete at. For some reason our little 3 million person populated country has now achieved that status without conquering an amount of the world within which the sun never sets... weird.

Last edited:
I feel really bad for France. Completely **** the bed. Losing by a score after gifting the opposition two tries. They had no business losing that after the first half, but I still thought there was a good possibility of it. That's just France.

This is the third year in a row that they've fallen victim to a late comeback in their first game of the Six Nations. England in 2017, Ireland in 2018, and now Wales. They must be gutted. I was really rooting for them at the end there, if only because I felt slightly mortified for them.

I feel really bad for France. Completely **** the bed. Losing by a score after gifting the opposition two tries. They had no business losing that after the first half, but I still thought there was a good possibility of it. That's just France.

This is the third year in a row that they've fallen victim to a late comeback in their first game of the Six Nations. England in 2017, Ireland in 2018, and now Wales. They must be gutted. I was really rooting for them at the end there, if only because I felt slightly mortified for them.
I know your pain, I felt the same when you beat them by a last effort drop goal last year. They really are due some luck .

I said I would've taken a 1 point win (via a late Dan Biggar drop goal) before the match and regardless of the abysmal first half, you have gotta be satisfied with an away 'W' that isn't against Italy in the 6N. Did we deserve it... well I tell you who didn't deserve the win and it begins with a 'ffffffr' and ends with the name of a 1998 animated movie very similar to 'A Bugs Life' (also release in 1998). I would've liked a performance but I'd rather a win.

I know it breaks everyone's heart (who isn't Welsh)... but that's starting to become the way we like it.

Honestly I think it's one of those games where neither side deserved the win really, but someone had to. Overall France played the better rugby for their tries, however France's mistakes were also far worse than Wales'.

Just seen Huget's mistake...couldn't happen to a more fitting player.

I'm struggling to accept that pivac taking over makes any difference to the overall feeling from our fellow countrymen and comrades

It's simple really, we'll win less games... therefore etc.

Whether we're right or wrong... it doesn't matter, people are aloud to support whomever they want whenever they want. I encourage it... but when you do so you gotta be prepared for the possible hurt.

It just causes more hurt when a large percentage of people build a subconscious grudge against an opponent... it causes pain when that team win games (particularly when you win games that you really shouldn't). English fans should know this more than anyone, what with the majority of the world wanting them to lose at literally every sport they compete at. For some reason our little 3 million person populated country has now achieved that status without conquering an amount of the world within which the sun never sets... weird.
I think it's obvious most wanted Wales to lose this game, hell I thought we would in my post match prediction . But it's absolutely stupid to suggest that just because the majority want you to lose then anything other than that is a miracle. A miracle is what most say it was but facts are facts and a winning run shouldn't be underestimated like I did myself . As I pointed out maybe these world ranking do mean something, I suppose more light will be shed on this in the game tomorrow.

Honestly I think it's one of those games where neither side deserved the win really, but someone had to. Overall France played the better rugby for their tries, however France's mistakes were also far worse than Wales'.

I get it... I've not said Wales deserved to win... but international away wins are not easy to come by... and regardless of what is freshest in your mind, that include in France. Sometimes in sports you just have to appreciate a win that is difficult to justify via performance... and believe me, that is exactly what I'm doing now as I chug back French cognac like there's no tomorrow.

This game was 50/50 before kick off... and my team came out with a win when we didn't play well! The whole litre is getting downed... neat!

Well predicted a Wales comeback although not quite to that degree (although I predicted a Wales win before kickoff)

So happy that Huget gifted a try for Wales, always though he was a right tosser.

I get it... I've not said Wales deserved to win... but international away wins are not easy to come by... and regardless of what is freshest in your mind, that include in France. Sometimes in sports you just have to appreciate a win that is difficult to justify via performance... and believe me, that is exactly what I'm doing now as I chug back French cognac like there's no tomorrow.

This game was 50/50 before kick off... and my team came out with a win when we didn't play well! The whole litre is getting downed... neat!

Oh I don't disagree, but in games like this I do think some of the pundits, and unfortunately Welsh ones in particular, have a way of blowing it out of proportion. Lot of comments on the BBC live thread about showing the character of the team and coming back to win. For me Wales didn't win or come back and I don't think their second half performance was massively better. Instead France lost it, simple as that. I know the difference seems minor, but if I was Gatland I would be highlighting how France should have won because if Wales play like that again they will only win one more match.

As I said maybe it's just me and my attitude that I wouldn't be happy with that win or performance and I certainly wouldn't feel like I deserved it. Warburton goes it was an amazing victory, Gats was more honest by saying it was a lucky victory and you need luck to win the tournament and especially the GS. That I can at least I can respect because its honest.

Oh I don't disagree, but in games like this I do think some of the pundits, and unfortunately Welsh ones in particular, have a way of blowing it out of proportion. Lot of comments on the BBC live thread about showing the character of the team and coming back to win. For me Wales didn't win or come back and I don't think their second half performance was massively better. Instead France lost it, simple as that. I know the difference seems minor, but if I was Gatland I would be highlighting how France should have won because if Wales play like that again they will only win one more match.

As I said maybe it's just me and my attitude that I wouldn't be happy with that win or performance and I certainly wouldn't feel like I deserved it. Warburton goes it was an amazing victory, Gats was more honest by saying it was a lucky victory and you need luck to win the tournament and especially the GS. That I can at least I can respect because its honest.
To be honest it's not so much elation it's more relief . Replace Wales with England or Ireland in this game and they would be taking it let's not pretend this isn't the case. Also I may add that it wasn't the best tactics especially first half from Wales and I also add that if France played just conservatory then they probably would of won , but this is rugby and let's not pretend this type of result doesn't happen (just because it's Wales) it happens frequently. One team capitulated and the no.3 team in the World took advantage which in ranking is exactly what should of happened. Btw I predicted a french win post match!

I do get what your saying... really I do! We were awful tonight, there is no getting away from that... but I was also really concerned about this game. Ireland found it difficult last year ,England found it... more than difficult the year before that, we found it... strangely difficult, or difficultly strange! It's a win... and you simply can not win every game with a feeling of self-satisfaction (remember back... no really! remember back to some of those wins on the trot England had... and, well they weren't ALL deserved... no matter how 'passionate' you are).

It's 'sport', the one thing that we still can't truly predict with a computer.

Last edited:
Reply to both posts, yeah I agree as well and if it had been England instead of Wales I'd be saying the same thing, only feeling the relief you guys are.

... also, the Welsh scrum!

There were many negatives (I'm probably the last person needed to highlight them!)... but apart from the 69th minute (when Rob & Ken had suspiciously been on 9 minutes longer than normal) our scrum looked 'solid!' (Like really 'solid!'). Against dat (heavy!) pack is something that Wales should actually take away as a positive.

Still not sure how we won that match. Obviously 2 howlers by French players helped
... also, the Welsh scrum!

There were many negatives (I'm probably the last person needed to highlight them!)... but apart from the 69th minute (when Rob & Ken had suspiciously been on 9 minutes longer than normal) our scrum looked 'solid!' (Like really 'solid!'). Against dat (heavy!) pack is something that Wales should actually take away as a positive.

Maybe, but weight only takes you so far in international rugby. Atonio isn't considered the strongest scrummager, so I'm not surprised Wales had the better of them. Imo that 69th min scrum was wheeling by the French as well.

Still not sure how we won that match. Obviously 2 howlers by French players helped

Maybe, but weight only takes you so far in international rugby. Atonio isn't considered the strongest scrummager, so I'm not surprised Wales had the better of them. Imo that 69th min scrum was wheeling by the French as well.

While I totally agree on Atonio... Bamba came on over 10 mins before 69 btw... all the talk before kick off was that Wales would want to avoid the scrums (which I agreed with going in). Our scrum, while 'serviceable' during the last 24 months (slowly improving I'll give you) showed something tonight. When EVERY other facet of the game that can usually be expected to perform ahead of the scrum fails, our scrum actually looked better than what I and many others (within Wales and without) would have thought.

On nights like tonight, when the work-ons are easy to identify (& stress on Monday morning) a positive to include at the end of the berating is an invaluable psychological card to pull.

Yeah, fair enough. Lineouts were a shambles that's for sure. France were good at getting in the air, granted, but the amount of overthrows as well was unacceptable. Owens does tend to have the odd wobbly game, hopefully he'll be ok for the rest of the tournament now.

Latest posts