• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] Scotland vs Wales (09/03/2019)

People talking about Wales winning poorly. Am I the only one that thinks their performances have reflected on the quality of the opposition they have played?

They looked good against and improving SA. Poor against a poor Australia. Poor against Italy and a shambolic France but then good against a really good England team? Is it more a case of they are doing what is needed to win games?

As said a few pages back I wouldnt be shocked if Scotland one and that was before the regional cluster thats hit but I do think Wales are just flat out winning games without having to get out of the gears needed.

Don't worry oj... going under the radar seems to work for us! The longer opponents can 'justify' our successes with luck, or winning poorly... or whatever it takes to help them sleep at night, the better as far as Gats and the camp are concerned.

Don't worry oj... going under the radar seems to work for us! The longer opponents can 'justify' our successes with luck, or winning poorly... or whatever it takes to help them sleep at night, the better as far as Gats and the camp are concerned.

I agree with that mate. Just didnt know if it was only me that saw the Welsh team generslly reflect whats in front of them.

Problem with that though is we never blow anyone away so one error could cost us dearly.

Am I the only one that thinks their performances have reflected on the quality of the opposition they have played?
Not anymore - that's brilliant, I really think you're on to something...
In the NFL, my beloved Patriots haven't really blown anybody out in years, they always seem to do just enough to end up with a couple more points than you when the clock runs out... Great food for thought, OJ!

I think the France game more or less debunks that theory though. Wales didn't positively do "just enough" to win that game, France gifted them two tries, neither of which were in high pressure situations, which they needed to win. Those bad performances that resulted in wins were still bad performances but it's being overstated.

I'm also not in the "Wales are lucky" or "Wales are flattered by their fixture list" camps. They're no more lucky than any team that's had a hot streak in recent years. They're a good team with a winning habit which couples having opportunities to win virtually every game they play with taking those opportunities virtually every time.

I wouldn't bet against them winning their next two games but I back Ireland to end another streak as long as we don't lose on Sunday.

Scotland: 15 Blair Kinghorn, 14 Tommy Seymour, 13 Nick Grigg, 12 Pete Horne, 11 Darcy Graham, 10 Finn Russell, 9 Ali Price, 8 Josh Strauss, 7 Jamie Ritchie, 6 Magnus Bradbury, 5 Jonny Gray, 4 Grant Gilchrist, 3 Willem Nel, 2 Stuart McInally (c), 1 Allan Dell

Replacements: 16 Fraser Brown, 17 Gordon Reid, 18 Simon Berghan, 19 Ben Toolis, 20 Hamish Watson, 21 Greig Laidlaw, 22 Adam Hastings, 23 Byron McGuigan

-------------------

Watson not starting is a blow, I prefer Berghan to Nel and the centres remain what they are. Abandoning the evolutionary dead end of Laidlaw isn't enough to give Scotland much chance here if Wales turn up.

Look out for D'Arcy Graham out on the wing. The latest young Scottish talent reminiscent of Shane William's.

Wales by 9

Scotland: 15 Blair Kinghorn, 14 Tommy Seymour, 13 Nick Grigg, 12 Pete Horne, 11 Darcy Graham, 10 Finn Russell, 9 Ali Price, 8 Josh Strauss, 7 Jamie Ritchie, 6 Magnus Bradbury, 5 Jonny Gray, 4 Grant Gilchrist, 3 Willem Nel, 2 Stuart McInally (c), 1 Allan Dell

Replacements: 16 Fraser Brown, 17 Gordon Reid, 18 Simon Berghan, 19 Ben Toolis, 20 Hamish Watson, 21 Greig Laidlaw, 22 Adam Hastings, 23 Byron McGuigan

-------------------

Watson not starting is a blow, I prefer Berghan to Nel and the centres remain what they are. Abandoning the evolutionary dead end of Laidlaw isn't enough to give Scotland much chance here if Wales turn up.

Look out for D'Arcy Graham out on the wing. The latest young Scottish talent reminiscent of Shane William's.

Wales by 9

I share your disappointment about Watson not starting. Can only assume he's not quite match fit and that Townsend sees him making an impact off the bench. Wales do tend to finish matches strongly and so impact replacements are key. Likewise with Berghan. Very surprised not to see Skinner in the 23 as it appeared as though he was set to start.

I still see a similar outcome to the Sco v Ire game with Wales having too much in the forward area. Scotland used up a lot of gas in the first half and didn't convert pressure into points. They'll need to rectify that on Saturday and any hope of winning hinges on a big performance from Russell who will have a lot on his shoulders now that Laidlaw has thankfully been dropped.

Is it my imagination, or is Toolis pretty much useless? Am I just too much of a noob to be able to see the great things he does? I never see him screw up, per se, but I never see him really do anything for that matter...?

Is it my imagination, or is Toolis pretty much useless? Am I just too much of a noob to be able to see the great things he does? I never see him screw up, per se, but I never see him really do anything for that matter...?

He's a competent lineout jumper. That's pretty much it.

The hair and beard do make him easy to spot on the pitch. That apart I'm struggling, although he was bizarrely named in the Pro12 team of the year (or it may even have been player of the year) by his peers 2-3 years ago so he must have doing something right.

Last edited:
Ali Price does bring a lot more tempo than Laidlaw but a lot less control. I seem to remember everyone wanting Laidlaw back starting last year after missing the first two games injured. Russel back is massive, he is much higher step up in quality than the other choices. The problem is while he is back there is a lot less strike runners in this team and there usually is, Kinghorn while has looked good in attack, in defence he has struggled and I expect Wales to target him.

Ali Price does bring a lot more tempo than Laidlaw but a lot less control. I seem to remember everyone wanting Laidlaw back starting last year after missing the first two games injured. Russel back is massive, he is much higher step up in quality than the other choices. The problem is while he is back there is a lot less strike runners in this team and there usually is, Kinghorn while has looked good in attack, in defence he has struggled and I expect Wales to target him.

Laidlaw gets slammed for slow ball but he usually picks the right option after taking an extra split second to assess the options. Price has been known to gift an interception or two and his decision making will need to be on point. Pete Horne is not a battering ram 12 but rather a flair ball playing centre and if Scotland are to do well then he and Russell will have to click in order to find space and unlock the Wales defence. There are size mis-matches in midfield (Parkes and JD2 will fancy their chances) and on the wing - I can see D'Arcy Graham being targeted with high ball.

Laidlaw gets slammed for slow ball but he usually picks the right option after taking an extra split second to assess the options. Price has been known to gift an interception or two and his decision making will need to be on point. Pete Horne is not a battering ram 12 but rather a flair ball playing centre and if Scotland are to do well then he and Russell will have to click in order to find space and unlock the Wales defence. There are size mis-matches in midfield (Parkes and JD2 will fancy their chances) and on the wing - I can see D'Arcy Graham being targeted with high ball.

I think that Price and Horne (SH) are better out and out 9's than Laidlaw but when they have been given their opportunities the step up to test match rugby has exposed some issues. The problem is though, instead of the coaches helping the players to iron those problems out and giving them a few games to embed... they have reverted to Laidlaw who, as you say while a little slower... but offers a degree of control (and points if pens are conceded around the 22).

I think that Price and Horne (SH) are better out and out 9's than Laidlaw but when they have been given their opportunities the step up to test match rugby has exposed some issues. The problem is though, instead of the coaches helping the players to iron those problems out and giving them a few games to embed... they have reverted to Laidlaw who, as you say while a little slower... but offers a degree of control (and points if pens are conceded around the 22).

I personally think that G Horne is the future. He was superb in Argentina and hasn't had the same opportunities on the international stage that Price has had. Having said that. this is a golden opportunity for Price to stake his claim ahead of the WC. Both of these guys fit better with the brand of rugby that Townsend wants to play. Russell's goal kicking stats with Racing are good which also helps to justify Laidlaw being benched. Laidlaw is still a good option to come off the bench to bring some leadership and game management.

I was talking to a Scottish friend about this yesterday, from what I know he's decent in the air for a (comparatively) "small" player, but after the Welsh back 3's performance under high ball vs England, then Sanjay, North and Adams will fancy a 1 on 1 with him all day.

However, if the kick is misjudged and Graham ends up collecting the ball with a bit of room then he could cause havoc with a broken field in front of him, so the chase needs to be on point and disciplined if Wales want to target him.

I was talking to a Scottish friend about this yesterday, from what I know he's decent in the air for a (comparatively) "small" player, but after the Welsh back 3's performance under high ball vs England, then Sanjay, North and Adams will fancy a 1 on 1 with him all day.

However, if the kick is misjudged and Graham ends up collecting the ball with a bit of room then he could cause havoc with a broken field in front of him, so the chase needs to be on point and disciplined if Wales want to target him.

To your point, I doubt Townsend would have started him had this game been at the Principality. Given his size, Graham is starting to become known as the Scottish Shane Williams :) Conditions are meant to be wet and windy and so it could be an interesting day as far as kicking goes.

There seems to be a lot of talk about who Scotland should play but, I cant see Scotland beating Wales whom ever is picked, I think they will be there or there abouts after the hour but I think we will then tend to be to strong for them,

There seems to be a lot of talk about who Scotland should play but, I cant see Scotland beating Wales whom ever is picked, I think they will be there or there abouts after the hour but I think we will then tend to be to strong for them,

If our players hadn't of had to deal with the turmoil of the Regional game over the last fortnight I think you may well be true but these are testing times.

If Scotland pull it off, it will be down to some excellent individual performances rather than being the better team. But they do have those players. Finn Russell has it in him to be unstoppable, and Ali Price is another X factor player.

But the counterpoint would be that they both thrive on gaps in defense and broken fields, and have both been known to get a bit impatient when they don't seem to be getting anywhere. Wales' defense is very good at throttling attacks, so I could see the half backs losing their heads a bit.

Team-wise, I'm not convinced by the Scotland midfield, but I also think Anscome and Parkes are liabilities so I guess it's a bit of a wash. Wales look stronger at the breakdown, but to be honest no-one has really been bossed there by anyone.

If Wales play like they did against England, they'll probably win. If they play like they did against France and Italy, it's anyone's game

If our players hadn't of had to deal with the turmoil of the Regional game over the last fortnight I think you may well be true but these are testing times.
yeah, that is a problem, but I believe welsh team players are pretty safe they will get a position but to take out a region would I believe be a mistake, they did that with the warriors and there was a vacuum in welsh rugby.
To do it again would just alienate another region, the WRU need to take a long hard look at this and try and use what brains they have if any.

yeah, that is a problem, but I believe welsh team players are pretty safe they will get a position but to take out a region would I believe be a mistake, they did that with the warriors and there was a vacuum in welsh rugby.
To do it again would just alienate another region, the WRU need to take a long hard look at this and try and use what brains they have if any.

Of course the players in the Welsh set up would be safe... but these guys are leaders amongst their regions group of players and as such care about the futures of all of them. After all, this isn't the Top 14 we're talking about ;).

Latest posts