• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Autumn Nations Cup] England vs Georgia (14/11/20)

1605179168867.png
And JJ on the wing.

I'm actually... Not that unhappy. It's got most of the experimentation I'd hoped for, other than Youngs.

I didn't notice that are we trying to pick the worst possible England side?
Behave. I'd rather JJ wasn't on the wing and Itoje stayed at lock but this a LONG way from the worst he could have picked.

I'd personally question the use of Itoje in the back row again when we have some many options. Why not start Robson? JJ on the wing is a waste when you have the likes of Thorley.

Personally I'm pretty happy with the starts for Genge, Stuart, Willis and Lawrence.

I'm indifferent on Daly, but he's much better than Furbank. Hopefully Malins gets a debut from the bench.

I'm just waiting for Living Sacrifice to tell us how much he loves Eddie.

Jones seems to have a very clear desire to have players who can play across multiple positions. In theory it is sound and it makes the side more resistant to injury problems and increases flexibility within the game team (as opposed to the overall team that can handle injuries between games pretty well). The issue is if it happens at the cost of developing players in their actual positions. The lock at flanker experiment was an absolute failure but he seems always itching to come back to it. Yes Itoje can do a job there but that's because he is a lock who can do parts of a flankers role well for a lock, that doesn't make him a flanker. Also would that make him a flock or a lanker? We have exceptional talent at flanker available now and if they don't get experience because he insists on persisting with this experiment (and denying any significant to literally every scrumhalf in the country, despite nearly all of them outperforming Youngs) then it's insane.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely don't want to see Itoje (or any other lock) at 6, but on balance, I'm a good deal happier with the plus points than the minuses.

Hah!! I knew he'd come round to my way of thinking on Itoje eventually. I'm just years ahead of the curve.

Binny's selection is pointless as is Joseph on the wing and Daly at FB. And if ever there was a chance to give Robson a confidence boosting start this was it.

But I like the props, Launch, Willis and the centres.

We'll win but by god I have no idea in the point of this side.
Bigging up Thorley for weeks and then starting JJ on the wing

#JustEddieThings

If you can't try at least one new halfback vs Georgia when the **** can you?

Why no Hill?
Why Binny?

As ncurd said: I just don't understand this selection.
Don't get me wrong: Delighted to see the likes of Willis, Lawrence, Genge, Stuart get a start but.....just weird

Bigging up Thorley for weeks and then starting JJ on the wing

#JustEddieThings

If you can't try at least one new halfback vs Georgia when the **** can you?

Why no Hill?
Why Binny?

As ncurd said: I just don't understand this selection.
Don't get me wrong: Delighted to see the likes of Willis, Lawrence, Genge, Stuart get a start but.....just weird

Vs. Italy in a Six Nations no-one cares about? Oh wait...

Italy, Georgia, Ireland in (basically) a friendly, Wales in (basically) a friendly, would have been the perfect run in for a new scrum-half to get comfortable. Half a game max vs. Georgia, Ireland, Wales? less so. I still want to see it.

I don't mind the lineup. It doesn't have a 'reserve' feeling due to the amount of regular starters. Yes, I'd like to see Curry at 6 to have a proper back row. 12/13 to alternate in game. JJ on the wing ain't no dramas, not as if he's gonna struggle defensively, and its also not like he's going to hug the touchline.

Love to see Marchant come on. And we'll see Earl, Willis and Curry finish the game :)

Jones seems to have a very clear desire to have players who can play across multiple positions. In theory it is sound and it makes the side more resistant to injury problems and increases flexibility within the game team (as opposed to the overall team that can handle injuries between games pretty well). The issue is if it happens at the cost of developing players in their actual positions. The lock at flanker experiment was an absolute failure but he seems always itching to come back to it. Yes Itoje can do a job there but that's because he is a lock who can do parts of a flankers role well for a lock, that doesn't make him a flanker. Also would that make him a flock or a lanker? We have exceptional talent at flanker available now and if they don't get experience because he insists on persisting with this experiment (and denying any significant to literally every scrumhalf in the country, despite nearly all of them outperforming Youngs) then it's insane.
Yeah, although I've always felt he played a lot looser than a conventional lock and more akin to a traditional rampaging, havoc causing 6, albeit a lot more athletic than most. While that has given plenty of highlight reel moments and some MOTMs from the row I've also felt it's been to the detriment of the balance of the front 5 especially when the props are also loose in style. I posted recently about this and why I felt Kruis was our premier lock, precisely because he did stick his head in all the dark places doing all the unseen tight work that enables others to play.

Maybe Itoje is really a 5.5. But if you do play him at 6 have someone like Earl at 8. Unless playing against the Boks.

So with five 13s in the 23, does this indicate what Eddie sees as the standard player type for his view of the versatile back player for any position.

So JJ on the wing...ok he's played there before but then Marchant at 23? Hes also played a few time to good effect for quins but hes an OC by trade, so he is the wing cover and Malins is 10 and 15 cover?

Dont like itoje at 6 but i do think it puts Willis under good pressure without the safety net of curry. Hope we get Willis curry both on at half times

So JJ on the wing...ok he's played there before but then Marchant at 23? Hes also played a few time to good effect for quins but hes an OC by trade, so he is the wing cover and Malins is 10 and 15 cover?

Dont like itoje at 6 but i do think it puts Willis under good pressure without the safety net of curry. Hope we get Willis curry both on at half times
I'd guess Daly is wing cover with Malins covering his 15 slot but since it's EJ it may just as easily be Curry.

EJ has mentioned Earl and Curry in the backs before - Sinckler probably covering 10 too

Latest posts