• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] England vs Scotland (06/02/21)

15. Elliot Daly (Saracens, 47 caps)
14. Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby, 46 caps)
13. Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 34 caps)
12. Ollie Lawrence (Worcester Warriors, 3 caps)
11. Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby, 61 caps)
10. Owen Farrell (C) (Saracens, 88 caps)
9. Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 104 caps)

1. Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 23 caps)
2. Jamie George (Saracens, 54 caps)
3. Will Stuart (Bath Rugby, 8 caps)
4. Maro Itoje (Saracens, 43 caps)
5. Jonny Hill (Exeter Chiefs, 4 caps)
6. Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons, 19 caps)
7. Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 28 caps)
8. Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 56 caps)

FINISHERS
16. Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, 26 caps)
17. Beno Obano (Bath Rugby, uncapped)
18. Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs, 18 caps)
19. Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, 85 caps)
20. Ben Earl (Bristol Bears, 8 caps)
21. Dan Robson (Wasps, 7 caps)
22. George Ford (Leicester Tigers, 72 caps)
23. Max Malins (Bristol Bears, 3 caps)

Not bad
Only change to get Willis in would be to drop Vunipola and move Wilson to 8, but that was never going to happen, so happy overall.

15. Stuart Hogg CAPTAIN (Exeter Chiefs) – 80 caps
14. Sean Maitland (Saracens) – 50 caps
13. Chris Harris (Gloucester) – 23 caps
12. Cameron Redpath (Bath Rugby) – 0 caps
11. Duhan van der Merwe (Edinburgh) – 5 caps
10. Finn Russell (Racing 92) – 51 caps
9. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors) – 37 caps

1. Rory Sutherland (Edinburgh) – 11 caps
2. George Turner (Glasgow Warriors) – 12 caps
3. Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) – 34 caps
4. Scott Cummings (Glasgow Warriors) – 17 caps
5. Jonny Gray (Exeter Chiefs) – 61 caps
6. Jamie Ritchie VICE CAPTAIN (Edinburgh) – 23 caps
7. Hamish Watson (Edinburgh – 36 caps
8. Matt Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) – 9 caps

Substitutes:
16. David Cherry (Edinburgh) – 0 caps
17. Oli Kebble (Glasgow Warriors) – 5 caps
18. WP Nel (Edinburgh) – 40 caps
19. Richie Gray (Glasgow Warriors) – 65 caps
20. Gary Graham (Newcastle Falcons) – 2 caps
21. Scott Steele (Harlequins) – 1 cap
22. Jaco van der Walt (Edinburgh) – 1 cap
23. Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors) – 26 caps

Redpath vs Lawrence will be fun - they're best mates
Scotland not giving Redpath a chance to get injured.

Substitutes:

Set piece is likely to be very important in this one. With that in mind, does anyone know what George Turner or David Cherry's lineout throwing is like? I must admit, I've never heard of either player (and Turner apparently has 12 caps!):oops:

Substitutes:

Looks like a pretty good Scotland team really. I guess the concerns may be at hooker, 12 and the bench. Cameron Redpath is certainly good with bags of potential, but I don't quite get the hype from the media in the last week or so.

Should be a hard fought match (they always are). I'm confident, but not excessively so, of an England win. I think it will be very close with the class and (mostly) experience of the England bench being the deciding factor. Given the cr*p weather forecasted, I'm going 18-13 to England.

Set piece is likely to be very important in this one. With that in mind, does anyone know what George Turner or David Cherry's lineout throwing is like? I must admit, I've never heard of either player (and Turner apparently has 12 caps!):oops:
Turner's brilliant in the loose (played about 60 minutes in the back row against New Zealand a couple of years ago, and played very well there IMO) but his lineouts leave a lot to be desired.

Scotland's pack is getting better and better but I don't think it's a match for England's if those backs do get decent ball though I expect Scotland to run England pretty close.

Looking at the England selections I think Jones is expecting a slog for at least the first half. Quite heavyweight. The real question is if we are still going to be kicking the leather off the ball? Farrells kicking all year was atrocious to put it nicely and we can't build a kicking game around a player who is kicking so badly. Unfortunately though I think we will be kicking and then looking to play a power game if we get to the 22. Lawrence is unlikely to ever touch the ball outside of Scotlands 22.

Seeing this, I think Scotland will be building a plan to prepare to deal with long kick and look at moving the ball across the field from where the kick landed as the English defence will likely bunch up in that part of the field. I can also see Scotland planning tactics to specifically counter what England do whilst England will simply play plan A and only plan A regardless of whatever happens on the field. Scotland could probably drop 5 players back to deal with kicks and we would still kick, butchering a few 5 on 1 overlaps in the process.

I mean that's an awesome England team, well done mr Jones. Farrell always plays better with a proper option at 12 which he's got and that pack will be brilliant!!!

I have nothing bad to say about the selection!!! Come on England!!!

Gregor Townsend: "We learned a lot about ourselves and where the game is going during our Autumn campaign, and we aim to build on this base during the next seven weeks."

So expect Scotland to kick the leather off the ball too. ;)

There's only one player in the England 23 who wasn't born in England (Billy V). Encouraging signs of domestic talent.

I know place of birth obviously isn't the best indicator (Billy V isn't Australian and Sam Underhill isn't American, e.g.) but it's easily available data.

That's got to be pretty unusual for international teams these days? Having checked for comparison, Uruguay, Namibia and Argentina all had zero foreign born players in the squad at RWC 2019, South Africa and Georgia had 1, Russia 2, New Zealand 4. England had 6, Scotland 15.

That controversy passed me by. He was really called to resign for publishing squad breakdowns by nationality? For xenophobia?? It's national sport?

Ohhh, it was on Twitter. Makes sense.
Yes because its complete nonsense in a global world that players should have to play for the country of their birth regardless of where they grew up and that was the political line he was peddling.

I means in Cips case he's more like a Pietersen doesn't seam to get on well wherever he turns up after an initial period of good grace. After they've been to so many places you really have to blame the player.
Yeah I fundamentally agree but.....Cips may have been like Pietersen in being a fully paid up member of the awkward squad, but very unlike KP in that Pietersen retired with an impressive international record. Very rocky road at times, but a way was found. Ditto Fergie with Cantona. Was Cips really more unmanageable than those 2?

That derails the thread slightly, but the point stands that the best leaders are open minded, empathetic and don't just instruct which seems to be the Jones way.

Yes because its complete nonsense in a global world that players should have to play for the country of their birth regardless of where they grew up and that was the political line he was peddling.

This has been done to death elsewhere on the forums. I don't disagree- I was more meaning to use it as a measure of the success of English academies. Place of birth is obviously flawed for that, just quick and convenient data.

Back to England vs. Scotland!

Chuffed to see Richie Gray involved again- one of my favourite players when I was younger. Him and 2001-era Greenwood nearly resulted in some very ill advised hair bleaching.

This has been done to death elsewhere on the forums. I don't disagree- I was more meaning to use it as a measure of the success of English academies. Place of birth is obviously flawed for that, just quick and convenient data.
Oh what you were saying was fine I was more on about the other bloke and why he got in hot water. It was less publishing the statistics but what he was trying to say with them.

Latest posts