• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2022 Six Nations] England vs Wales (26/02/22)

Yeah that is true of course. Just that I don't think the 2 are that comparable when you look at the games, the scoreline and how we really managed and closed that game out in Cardiff. The game just gone, I'm sure, had a lot of nervous Englishman in that last few minutes thinking we were going to sneak it. I mean, just the fact it was 3 tries to 1 as well.

Your point is 100% correct though which is why these conversations are pointless as no one has access to a parallel universe where we can see what would've happened had the knock on been given.
Doctor strange reads this: hold my beer

I quite liked Nige as a ref but his constant criticism of incidents post retirement is getting ridiculous, I'm certain we could be critical of some of his reffing decisions.

I quite liked Nige as a ref but his constant criticism of incidents post retirement is getting ridiculous, I'm certain we could be critical of some of his reffing decisions.
His calling- back of the danny care intercept v scotland comes to mind. Probably the worst decision i've ever seen.

And his treatment as being some infallible font of rugby knowledge.. He also seems to spend a disproportionately large amount of time highlighting where things went in England's favour but barely a peep out of him last year as Wales got the rub of the green to probably the most ridiculous extent of any side in 6n history.

He did comment on the England controversy last year

"The interesting bit here is that the referee actually stopped the clock, asked Owen Farrell to speak to his players about their discipline, quite rightly so and very good refereeing management by the referee then.

"But, I think, then you must check that they're ready before you restart the game. So personally, if I was refereeing, I would have checked to make sure that England were ready."

On the potential Louis Rees-Zammit knock-on in the build-up to Liam Williams' try, Owens added: "If a player loses control of the ball forwards, i.e. off his hand, he has to regain possession of that ball before it touches the ground or hits another player, or even travels backwards afterwards. Otherwise, it's a knock on.

"So, imagine a player going for an interception sticks his hand out, juggles the ball upwards, which is travelling forwards but fails to catch it so knocks it backwards. That is still deemed a knock-on because he's failed to regain possession of the ball.

"So, in this instance, my humble opinion is Rees-Zammit's hand clearly touches the ball, the ball is then travelling forward as is Rees-Zammit before it then hits his thigh, then off the back of his leg and then backwards.

"So, because Rees-Zammit failed to regain possession of the ball, under law, that then is a knock-on. But also, as I said, we must appreciate these decisions are always difficult decisions to make."

I'm not a big Owens lover or nothing but he's got a juggling act to consider post career. On the one hand the dude has to make some money, and like all ex players, podcasters or whatever you've got to be a bit of a nob/edgy to sell your content (which may include being critical of ex colleagues decisions)

On the other hand I genuinely don't think he likes to overly flog his ex colleagues in public as he knows what it's like

Thirdly, he is partly employed by WOL so there an element of playing to his base as well.

On the whole I thinks he juggles these things relatively well and is respectful. For the most part I find him relatively objective even if I don't agree with all his opinions. For the most part he calls it how he sees it just like when he said Wales should've had a red card against Australia in the Autumn series just gone.

My biggest problem with Owens (and it's not really about him) is his involvement in live commentary. Having a second opinion while the game is still going on feels a bit wrong

My biggest problem with Owens (and it's not really about him) is his involvement in live commentary. Having a second opinion while the game is still going on feels a bit wrong
I've said before I think he'd be far better in the studio with a big screen explaining 'correct' more complex controversial decisions. Explaining why the ref came to a decision and what the laws are rather than trying to put an opinion if the ref got it wrong or right.

I know what you mean but is it that different to any ex player doing the commentary? I guess it is a little bit being an ex ref but not much really.

I've said before I think he'd be far better in the studio with a big screen explaining 'correct' more complex controversial decisions. Explaining why the ref came to a decision and what the laws are rather than trying to put an opinion if the ref got it wrong or right.
This is a good idea.

Yep. According to this Sky article his injury warranted an immediate and permanent removal without the need for an HIA. Hot on the heels of the Nowell incident v Ita the game is not covering itself in glory.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sk...inst-england-at-twickenham-heavily-criticised
The article is spot on. An HIA is carried out to determine whether a head injury has occurred. In this instance, it was clear to anyone who saw Francis' failed attempt to to get to his feet followed by his zombie like walk into the post that he had sustained a brain injury.

Following the George North incident, when the Welsh medical team claimed to be unaware of him staggering around the field like a punch drunk boxer, it doesn't appear that significant improvements have occurred to RECOGNISE vulnerable players. When the medics were made aware of Fransic' condition, either they didn't have sufficent information to act properly (REMOVE), or didn't understand the correct course of action.

Equally worrying is that once the (incorrect) decision to give him an HIA was taken, he somehow managed to pass it. Assuming you accept that he should have failed it, either the test wasn't properly administered or if it was, it can't be trusted to identify 100% of brain injuries.

FWIW, I don't mean this as an anti WRU rant - there have been other failures that also need to be looked into, but none (recently) appear to have got quite so much wrong quite so obviously in quite such a high profile dame as in this case. Only by identifying where failures have occurred and why, are we ever going to improve the process and in turn player safety.

Latest posts