• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2024 Six Nations] Scotland vs England - 24/02/24

Think it's pretty clear that Marler-Stuart and Genge-Cole are being looked at as pairs. That way whichever pair you go with you get one old, experienced head to boss the scrum and one young, ball-carrying/playing prop to be a threat in the loose.

I don't think Marler's been 'dropped'. Borthwick's just rotated in a different pair this week to give Marler and Stuart a bit of a rest.

Why are people so down on Roots? He has played 2 games for England and in one he was man of the match
Personally he got Motm in a game where nobody was good and I think the whole backrow doesn't work. I'd rather have Underhill and Earl over Roots.

I actually like the selection but let's see how they play.

Couple of odd choices though from SB. Steward has been playing well but he isn't the full package at the moment so it's fair to give Furbank a go.

The only concern is that with IFW on the bench who's not trusted at all, what happens if we have a back three issue? Why not put Freddie on the bench if IFW isn't trusted.

Marring and CCS will add some 'bang' when they come on. Love that as a bench combo although Martin (back on form) could be a starter.

Also still not sure the backrow works, but is our breakdown a mess because the players don't know where to go? As the players seem fine in the prem.

The scrum and the maul (both attacking and defending) which is a props bread and butter, yes Genge can carry but that's about it
Yes but Genge isnt a weak scrummager(mako comes to mind) yet offers more around the park. So vs SA id want Marler but i think Genge is better for this game.

Scrum very important but if hes gping well at scrum time amd offering more its a bonus and if he is being destoyed for any reason then Marler os right there on the bench.

Also i deleted this post before as i quoted the wrong 1 first :)

Let's face it, Genge should be a good enough scrummager to keep Fagerson honest (actually scratch that, it's impossible for anyone to keep any front rower "honest"), whilst Cole should be able to handle Schoemann.

Marler will be licking his lips at the prospect of facing MIllar-Mills for 30 minutes with tired locks behind him. Stuart's plenty good enough to get the upper hand on Hepburn.

Just the 5 changes to the starting XV then, only one enforced. Can't get too excited on the props although would always pick Marler over Genge. For me Cole starts or isn't involved.

I'd prefer to start Spencer and have Care coming off the bench. But was never going to be.

Lawrence returning is a no brainer.

It's Scotland so a fairly hostile crowd. It blows a gale in mid summer and some rain is forecast. It's likely to be scrappy. Tailor made for Furbank.

Remain underwhelmed by Daly and Ford. Roots just feels like he's babysitting the shirt. Good to see Martin back.

I really didn't clock Furbank at FB when the squad first appeared. Borthwick does have a few curve balls in with selection it seems in his tenure.

Steward does have limitations and Eng do need to look at other options at FB. At the minute if Feyi-Woboso isn't going to get used then he's taking up a bench spot that could be better used. IMO Steward on the bench this weekend and Furbank in the previous two either on the bench or to start. Forecast looks dry hoepfully but still a chance of rain, said before I see Steward as a bit of of horses for courses/special teams type player. I reckon Borthwick and Co are banking on it being dry and Scotland kicking long. He's a classy player, his first crack at International level wasn't good but he's kicked on alot and handy utility player who can play 10 better than just filling in.

Roots seems like a good honest player. Personally I'd rather see a player whose not the finished article but with a higher ceiling get the game time but in all honesty I'd not seen him play and can't really judge him from two games.

I still think Care is a better impact player than a starter at this level.but see the logic. I think the front row it's a case of mixing up your stronger with a weaker srummager. Genge is massively more mobile than Marler and his carrying stood out when he came on against Wales.

Nice to have Lawrence back. Prefer to see him 13 but expect he and Slade may interchange in attack and defence. Also the temptation to resit getting Manu straight back in after a long lay off.

Possibly slightly more optimistic than I was. The two week break has come at a good time for England, more time putting things together and analysis for the coaching staff. Allegedly in the open training session it was mostly defence drills, not sure what to read into that. England were much better without the ball in the Wales game and more comfortable for the timebeing with a more pragmatic approach. Probably go with the bookies with Scotland 3-6 point winners still.

Furbank seems like a bit of a left field option. Big ask to step into the white hot Calcutta Cup at Murryfield with no real game time for England under his belt. I suppose if he performs well he could oust Steward, but somehow I suspect he may struggle, and that doesn't bode well for England. Feel like IFW has to get on proper this game. What's the point of having her lad in the squad if you aren't going to bring him on. Will really knock his confidence if he doesn't get on with time to play, and leave him wondering if he should have gone to Wales. Need to start trusting this young talent.

Happy enough with the rest of it. Our record against the Scot's isn't great and they should rightly be favourites for this one, but there's certainly enough in that England team to pull off an upset. Looking forward to it.

Furbank seems like a bit of a left field option. Big ask to step into the white hot Calcutta Cup at Murryfield with no real game time for England under his belt. I suppose if he performs well he could oust Steward, but somehow I suspect he may struggle, and that doesn't bode well for England. Feel like IFW has to get on proper this game. What's the point of having her lad in the squad if you aren't going to bring him on. Will really knock his confidence if he doesn't get on with time to play, and leave him wondering if he should have gone to Wales. Need to start trusting this young talent.

Happy enough with the rest of it. Our record against the Scot's isn't great and they should rightly be favourites for this one, but there's certainly enough in that England team to pull off an upset. Looking forward to it.
After 2 games? I find these panic stations posts a bit ridiculous.

I'd like to see IFW get a proper opportunity. However, we have no idea how he's training and we have a new defensive system. I'd rather we gradually integrate him in to the side rather than risking a Tait/Henson scenario. If his confidence is so fragile that not immediately getting lots of game time in his first season with England is that damaging, he isn't ready for test rugby.

Changing the subject, I'm happy Furbank is getting an opportunity and I hope it goes well. Risky move to do it in this game though IMO.

Risky move to do it in this game though IMO.
Yeah, I'd have had him on the bench the first 2 rounds gotten him a good 20mins or something in each

He looks a much more mature/settled player than his previous caps (physically and mentally) but can't shake the memory of how lost he looked, and if the atmosphere gets to him then the Russell/Duhan pairing could shred him

That said: I'm anticipating a good performance from him as he's been very good for saints and it's been a couple of years since his last caps now

IFW needs to be given a chance. He is accustomed to the blitz in his day job and has the pace to backtrack if/when they get around the corner. He's had what, 2 minutes? Go and watch what he did in those 2 minutes! Arundell he is not.

I think if he does oust Steward then he (Steward) might go France. It will be hard to keep those players who are ambitious but not seen as England regulars from moving

IFW needs to be given a chance. He is accustomed to the blitz in his day job and has the pace to backtrack if/when they get around the corner. He's had what, 2 minutes? Go and watch what he did in those 2 minutes! Arundell he is not.
Not sure if you mean to say Arundel is better, or worse?

After 2 games? I find these panic stations posts a bit ridiculous.

I'd like to see IFW get a proper opportunity. However, we have no idea how he's training and we have a new defensive system. I'd rather we gradually integrate him in to the side rather than risking a Tait/Henson scenario. If his confidence is so fragile that not immediately getting lots of game time in his first season with England is that damaging, he isn't ready for test rugby.

Changing the subject, I'm happy Furbank is getting an opportunity and I hope it goes well. Risky move to do it in this game though IMO.
Hardly panic stations old boy. My view is simply that if you select a player then you are saying that you trust them and believe they are ready to play at test level. Given the pace and demands of modern test rugby you should be emptying your bench every game. If you're not; then someone on the field hasn't been pushing hard enough. So if SB isn't getting IFW on then it suggests he doesn't trust him, in which case don't put him on the bench at all, or back your decision, and the player, and get him some decent game time.
From what I've seen if IFW he's pretty electric and with a tiring Scottish side in front him in the last 20, could do some damage.