• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

CB Series

Yeah well, Ashes 2006/7 revisited today- Eng get themselves into the shite, then look to fight back bravely. And just when us neutrals think that maybe there`s actually a game on here, along comes mr Hussey and the lower order( this time Lee) to win it at a canter.

Loye looked pretty decent today, best of the Eng batsman by a long way. So what if he`s 30+ when making his debut- so were Mike Hussey and Stuart Clark for Aus after all, and no-one is questioning the wisdom of playing them today, are they?

Anyway, on Ed Joyce, I believe he`s the first Irishman to voluntarily become part of an English joke! (fishing there..........)

Joyce was right to declare for England, no problems on that score, he was never going to play test cricket for Ireland so England was his only option. Fact is though he's not up to this level.

Michael Vaughan has been ruled out of the next 2 games for England and won't return until January 30 when they take on Australia in Perth.

John Bracewell is gay. And so is his rotation policy. I think he likes to think he has truck loads of depth and hes Graham Henry!!

I've been again this gay rotation policy ever since we got hammered in Napier again Sri Lanka in the first ODI of that series last year!

McMillan drives New Zealand to 218

Brydon Coverdale

January 21, 2007

50 overs New Zealand 218 (McMillan 89, Clark 4-54, McGrath 3-24) v Australia

Craig McMillan guided New Zealand to their best total of the CB Series but their 218 was still below par after Australia's fast bowlers again rattled the top order at Sydney. McMillan led the recovery with 89 before the tourists were dismissed in the 48th over thanks to four wickets from Stuart Clark.

McMillan's 87-ball innings featured three sixes -- one was a spectacular cut shot over backward point off Brett Lee -- and demonstrated there were plenty of runs in the pitch after Stephen Fleming chose to bat. McMillan made the most of a lucky break on 1, when Asad Rauf gave him not out although he appeared to have edged Glenn McGrath to Adam Gilchrist.

Despite some wild shots early in his innings, he ensured the life was not wasted and finished with his best ODI score since 2002. McMillan and James Franklin added 57 in a 39-ball eighth-wicket partnership that restored some dignity to the New Zealand scorecard after they fell to 7 for 136. Franklin went on 18 when he pulled McGrath to Michael Hussey in the deep but McMillan had already done what was required to give the bowlers something to defend.

McGrath, who bowled an outstanding spell and took 3 for 24, finally had his revenge when he caught and bowled McMillan from a full-toss that was close to being called a waist-high no-ball. The final pair were unable to bat out the 50 overs and New Zealand's inability to compile a consistent, professional batting effort will again put their bowlers under pressure.

The top order again failed as Lee and Clark were rewarded for their hard work on a sweltering afternoon and movement in the air and off the pitch proved hard to combat. Clark finished with 4 for 54 -- his best ODI figures -- after New Zealand went after him from the word go.

Ross Taylor (26) skied Clark to Michael Hussey running back at mid off and Fleming fell in almost identical fashion from Clark's first ball. Fleming was one of the reasons New Zealand began so slowly; he took 43 deliveries for his 12.

Clark returned later in the innings to entice and edge to slip from Peter Fulton, who again made a start but fell for 19. Daniel Vettori gave Clark his fourth when his penchant for opening the face and running the ball to third man was exploited and he was caught by Ricky Ponting at a floating slip.

The innings began dismally as a terrific opening spell from Lee had the tourists 2 for 7 after six overs. Lee enticed an edge behind from Nathan Astle (0) in the third over and Hamish Marshall, who was brought in at the expense of Jeetan Patel to strengthen the batting, was caught behind off another fast Lee outswinger.

The top order again left too much work for the rest of the line-up and without Shane Bond and Patel, two of their best bowlers from the opening two games, New Zealand will face an uphill battle to restrict Australia.

Brydon Coverdale is an editorial assistant of Cricinfo

© Cricinfo

I doubt wheter the rotation policy has a sexual orientation, but point taken. Also tend to not rate Bracewell as a coach, not because of the rotation policy, but because of the way some of the top players have lost all confidence in their performance- hardly surprising if a guy like McCullum doesn`t know whether he`ll be opening or batting at 7 at any given time. I can honestly sympathise with your feelings, in SA we have Mickey Arthur who wants to play "brave cricket"- and the results, at Test level anyway are pretty similar.

Anyway, Mike Hussey must be the best finisher of ODI`s at the moment. But at least the Aussies have looked vulnerable (at times, anyway) during the last 2 games- there might yet be hope for the World Cup. That said, 2 below-par batting performances by Aus, and they still won- surely this shows just how dominant they are at the moment- even the off-colour performances ends in victory.

Point taken on Joyce- yeah I can`t see Ireland playing too many Test matches in cricket.

Congrats to NZ for a fine win today- Oram was exceptional with the bat, and Vettori looked like his old self again with the ball.

Also, isn`t McCullum looking much better batting down the order rather than having a slog up front? That`s his 2nd pretty decent performance down the order, and augurs well for him.

Don`t know where to from here for Eng, except for Flintoff and Lewis` bowling performances, nothing much to write home about. 120 all out is a bit SA Test-match like.

Big relief for Flem with Black Caps having a win, hopefully it gives them confidence to go on and have a few more...

bonus point even. excellent stuff.

and good to see bond get his 100, even if it was only panasar :)

another thrashing for england on tonight, and the pending retirement of astle could make new zealand more competitive on sunday, maybe?

indeed, England all out for 110, losing 8 wickets for 38 runs. Another bonus point for the Aussies.

chasing 344 to win, didnt think we had a show. but our batting for a change stepped up to the challenge.

to lose by 8 runs was a magical effort, and that started with vincent and flem. vincent was unlucky to be out lbw after the ball hit him on the glove. i wasnt even sure if the ball was going to hit or not. i didnt the the hawkeye. oram was AWESOME what power he had. to bring us that close was an awesome reason to stay up.

now i am at home, its 830am and i should be at work, going to work from home today

Billy was at school this morning and the teacher asked all the children what their fathers did for a living.
All the typical answers came out, fireman, policeman, salesman, chippy, captain of industry etc but
Billy was being uncharacteristically quiet and so the teacher asked him about his father.

"My father is an exotic dancer in a gay club and takes off all his clothes in front of other men.
Sometimes if the offer is really good, he'll go out with a man, rent a cheap hotel room and let them
sleep with him."

The teacher quickly set the other children some work and took little Billy aside to ask him if that was really true.

"No" said Billy, "He plays cricket for England but I was just too embarrassed to say."

can we stop the jokes in this thread?

especially the really really REALLY old jokes?

I feel slack for saying this..but..Astle was holding us back in regards to batting, I mean we got up to 47 without loss the other night, the highest score we got up to without a loss was like..17 or something lol.

w00t t00t for Jacob Oram :D he so deserved that hundred, and McCullum deserved a 50..but in the end it was impossible lol.

Ah finally some form from Black Caps, 320 v Eng. WOuld like to have seen Taylor or Vincent go on to a hundred though...

Geez, Oram has made a helluva difference, hasn`t he? That`s 3 awesome knocks in a row- and McCullum`s also looking so much better down the order where he belongs.

As for England, where to from here is the question. Can they not cancel the rest of the tour and quickly arrange a home series vs. Bangladesh to build confidence ahead of the World Cup? At this rate, the`yre looking like sure bets for a 1st-round exit. Pietersen and Vaughan returning for the World Cup might make a difference, but they need a confidence booster, and quickly.

Some fielding practise wouldn't hurt for Black Caps, dropping sitters left right and centre at moment. Nice run out from The Chin too (Vincent).

re: Jacob Oram

Geatest knocks for ODI's in aussie summer for years

He has brought great value to the series....I knew the black caps would step up when required

The next match against Aussie will be a belter...the finals will be a belter

Black Caps hitting great form just in time for the WC.......

Latest posts