• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Rugby 2018/19 Thread

If we don't actively look for replacements In key positions at the start of a new World Cup cycle then we arnt nurturing the next generation. I dont mean just bring someone in for the sake of it but we should look for a more rounded 10....and 9...and 12
There will be injuries and, possibly in Faz's case, suspensions that will give others chances and a lot can happen in 4 years anyway. Right now 10 isn't a problem that needs fixing for the medium term, but we do need to avoid a Youngs / Care situation and at the very least have identified and blooded the next in line.

So post WC what prospects are we talking in the positions mentioned and anyothers?

Robson Spencer, maybe Randell (for the future) at 9 in the future

Manu stays as 12/13, who else, devoto, jonny Williams has always shown promess, cam redpath had alot of hype but not seen enough to say any further.

Who else are we talking about?

So post WC what prospects are we talking in the positions mentioned and anyothers?

Robson Spencer, maybe Randell (for the future) at 9 in the future

Manu stays as 12/13, who else, devoto, jonny Williams has always shown promess, cam redpath had alot of hype but not seen enough to say any further.

Who else are we talking about?
Lawrence, Hill, Murley (maybe), Marchant

Post WC I'd be fine at looking at our 3rd choice 10 who can get a crack in autumn internationals etc and generally move towards rotating the England squad more over a regular period but I don't think replacing Ford or Farrell is particularly important. Think at what point Sexton became considered one of the best 10's in the world, it was late 20's at best. I think a position where we need to clear out the incumbents and really get new blood asap is 9. Ford and Farrell have room to still develop, Care and Youngs don't, short of something drastically changing for Youngs.

In order of priority, these are positions I think we need to look at getting new blood in or giving some slightly older players their chance:

2, 15
6, 7, 8
1, 3

Rest aren't an issue and a player who is good enough to force their way into the team is more a bonus than something we really need to look at. I'd also say they don't all have to be young players, just form players. Wilson has highlighted that very well. Many of those positions we have good first choice players but will need to look at developing the 2nd string. England look to have some serious talent coming through in all those positions though, it's just a case of the clubs properly helping their development and England coaches making sensible selections. Saracens really are in their own league for developing players, although Chiefs seem to have become a good breeding ground for them too. Many other prem clubs need to step up and improve their academies rather than buying in players.

Quite a few ... struggling on a few positions, but there's a fair old list developing.

2. Singleton/Barbeary*
3. Stuart
6. T. Hill
7. J. Willis
8. Dombrandt
9. Mitchell/Randall
10. J. Simmonds/Smith/Grayson
11. Thorley
12. J. Williams
13. Marchant/Lawrence
14. Ibitoye
15. Malins

As much as I am a biased Wasps/Robson fan. I do think that Spencer would the most appropriate replacement for Youngs if this is true.
Aye,
Imo Spencer is the most well rounded 9 available - and I've been championing him for a while.
Robson being out until the end if the season and Spencer being first choice at Sarries while they attempt a double trophy definitely doesn't hurt either.

That said I anticipate Eddie will go back to Care - I've not seen what kind of form he's in atm (Quins position in the league suggests good?), but his England form is so erratic you can flip a coin to see whether he'd be good or not

TBH, the way we've been playing recently, with kicking paramount, Wigglesworth is potentially the replacement for Youngs with Care or Spencer on the bench ...

Not saying that's what I want BTW!

Would be more than happy going into the world cup with Spencer/Wigglesworth 9/21

Two best box kickers in the country, Spencer real quick and a great pass, wigglesworth bags of experience and the best at controlling at game in the prem

TBH, the way we've been playing recently, with kicking paramount, Wigglesworth is potentially the replacement for Youngs with Care or Spencer on the bench ...

Not saying that's what I want BTW!
Nor me, although a cooler head in the half backs has its attractions.

If this was a serialised TV drama I'd be switching off because this plot "twist" is just too predictable and cliche after 1 1/2 seasons of narrative tension over the lack of scrum half options...just lazy writing TBH
Especially the bit where Harry Randall's on a fishing trip and receives a call from Jones summoning him into the squad for the final where he scores the winning try.

Especially the bit where Harry Randall's on a fishing trip and receives a call from Jones summoning him into the squad for the final where he scores the winning try.

I should really look this up first before making a fool of myself, but didn't the all blacks pull a fella out of the crowd to play 10 in a world cup final a few years ago ?

maybe I dreamed this ?

By running through Sam Whitelock's legs

Speaking to Eddie, he's asked why we can't have Care and Spenser both on the bench with Wigglesworth starting.

Why not

Does anyone know if the summer friendlies have a limit on the size of squad????

I don't think there is per se. I expect them to be around 36 or thereabouts and then whittled down to 31 in time for Japan.

Latest posts