• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Rugby 2018/19 Thread

As much as I'd like to, I very much doubt we'll see Marler in an England jersey again.

Marler's never come close to showing the form Mako had before he got injured in the 6N. Players always grow in stature when they're unavailable, and that's a great example, because there's no way Marler's as capable or effective a player as Vunipola.

Tuilagi injured and out for rest of season.

Does that harm his World Cup place?

He has done his hammy again.

Hope it just means he will get some rest before summer, but worried he won't be match fit come the autumn

He'll miss 2 matches, and is out for 3-4 weeks. Won't make any difference at all to his fitness in 4 months time.
"Out for the rest of the season" just makes a better headline than "minor injury, expected to miss a few weeks"

Marler is way more well rounded and consistent than mako

Mako undoubtedly the better carrier and the flashier player but Marler is a better scrummager and stronger in the tight.

Why use "flashier" instead of "more skilful" ?

What strengths "in the tight" does Marler provide over Mako aside from arguably being more effective scrummaging ?

Why use "flashier" instead of "more skilful" ?

What strengths "in the tight" does Marler provide over Mako aside from arguably being more effective scrummaging ?
Scrum maul ruck tight carrying guard work
I say flashier because he puts in more highlight reel work than Marler, of course that's more skillful work but I value the core prop work over the out the back offloads
Don't get me wrong Mako is in my side but if it's the world cup final tomorrow then Marler starts with Mako coming off the bench

Scrum maul ruck tight carrying guard work
I say flashier because he puts in more highlight reel work than Marler, of course that's more skillful work but I value the core prop work over the out the back offloads
Don't get me wrong Mako is in my side but if it's the world cup final tomorrow then Marler starts with Mako coming off the bench

It's not just offloads that Mako brings, but can't fault your answer. Different opinions at the end of the day, but definitely agree it would be great if Marler was to come available for the tournament.

Except I didn't say he's a highlight reel player I said he puts in more highlight reel work

Except I didn't say he's a highlight reel player I said he puts in more highlight reel work
Marler is solid reliable good carrier and does work hard and undoubtably a better scrummager who will not let you down. But that more skillful side of Mako's game is what sets him apart, both mako and sinks have a good passing game which is a great asset to have. Mako is the better carrier than marler. And id say his workrate is higher. Mako > Marler.

That said a bench with george mako sinkler coming on for 20 min would be a scary thought to the opposition.

And that fast start england like so much is aided by mako quite abit. Being able to hold a defender and/or a good pass or offload is invaluable.

I think for me the big difference is that Sinckler and Mako have the ability to help turn games and can create something from nothing. Marler is solid, but he will rarely turn a game if things are going wrong, but he will be reliable and give you a high standard.

Also England's most successful period under Jonny was when we had strong finishers meaning we ended games singer than most other teams. We have shifted away from that bit having mako and sinks coming off the bench along with other strong finishers could help sorry out our relatively well end game now and go back to string finishing. With it ability to start faster now, it could with very well.

We've shown a number of times that a fast start is irrelevant if you can't sustain it. As soon as momentum tips it's incredibly hard to get it back.

I'd rather have us in the game at 50 minutes with a bench that can ratchet it up than have a lead slipping away with a low impact bench. Tuilagi and Binny look more like finishers these days.

On the LH question I think Marler is more solid all round, whereas Mako is brilliant in some respects but weaker in others. There is no doubt that Mako can be more impactful when the game breaks up and for that reason I'd start Marler with Mako coming off the bench. But that's all academic as Marler's not available.

Latest posts