• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Rugby 2018/19 Thread

Delighted Cole isn't there tbh, gives others a chance and hes been very solid for us this season so im happy we're keeping hold of him.

Mmmh.

Some good choices, and some incredible misses. Just like every EJ squad

No Kvesic and Cips. I've no idea why.

Ashton and Teo in. Not played, no highlights, in squad. Madness.

I don't know enough about Schonert or Rhodes. Both South African but can play due to residency? Are they worth the call up?

Last edited:
I took the co-captain thing as, Farrell is nailed on, but I don't want to drop my captain a year from a WC. So if I make him co-captain and he's not starting maybe people won't notice...

There was a problem with on field leadership in the series v SA. Hartley's "leadership" was missed. I didn't think George took his chance in the summer unfortunately.

Farrell is a horrible captain and just rubs refs up the wrong way with the way he speaks to them. I am surprised Jones has continued with him as a co-captain.

Who is ted hill? Has ewels been injured? Not seen him play much this season?
Ted Hill's the young Worcester back rower who's been scoring a few tries this season. Played for the U20s last season (think he's still eligible?) and looked very impressive, massively physical in defence. Think he's ~6'5 as well so makes for a very good 3rd lineout option.

The way Farrell threw his toys out of the pram when Cipriani did that quality quick for Mays try vs South Africa really infuriated me. He's our captain, acts like that and clearly doesn't like someone like Cips controlling the game.

Don't get me wrong, I like Farrell as a player, but it looked to me like his ego takes a battering when Cips is at 10 rather than Ford.

It seems Jones suffers from the same hypocrisy as Gatland. Some players having to prove 'form an fitness' while others walk back into the squad without either of those. Backs are looking decent and they have to be hoping that Tuilangi can get some games as well as some of the promising younger ones like Cokanasiga. Injury crisis in the forwards looks bad for now but I think it will be beneficial in the long run. The pack has needed a kick up the ass the last few games so you would hope that the new guys get some game time which in turn increase the level of performance to the regulars.

You really have to feel for some players...I could moan about picks, but won't change EJ's mind. I still think 1/4 is a real possibility, though with SA players not being released for the game I suppose the potential for 3/4 is there if we play well against Australia.

1 is a problem. 2's fine, 3 will be an upgrade in at least some respects. 4 & 5 are fine. Many of us wanted Curry and Underhill anyway so that's fine and Brad the Saviour's also in the mix. Morgan should be fine at 8, although may take a game or 2 to get back up to international speed and Mercer's exciting.

9's as usual, ditto 10 and 12. No JJ at 13, but Manu and Daly are good options. May's a first choice and, in reality, so's Brown. Nowell's a safe bet, but I'd love to see Big Joe blooded and Daly's also an option in the back 3.

Thing is that we've got many players who are much of a muchness, so although we've got a lot of injuries are we really that much weaker overall? In a couple of positions perhaps but also in many cases there won't be much of a drop in quality, including to the bench, and several players ought to be uber motivated at getting their chance in a RWC year.

With home advantage that team ought to be good enough to see off a weakened SA and a poor Aus. Japan should be a given. Every team has to cope with injuries and a 1/4 return would leave the RFU in a very awkward position.

1 is a problem. 2's fine, 3 will be an upgrade in at least some respects. 4 & 5 are fine. Many of us wanted Curry and Underhill anyway so that's fine and Brad the Saviour's also in the mix. Morgan should be fine at 8, although may take a game or 2 to get back up to international speed and Mercer's exciting.

9's as usual, ditto 10 and 12. No JJ at 13, but Manu and Daly are good options. May's a first choice and, in reality, so's Brown. Nowell's a safe bet, but I'd love to see Big Joe blooded and Daly's also an option in the back 3.

Thing is that we've got many players who are much of a muchness, so although we've got a lot of injuries are we really that much weaker overall? In a couple of positions perhaps but also in many cases there won't be much of a drop in quality, including to the bench, and several players ought to be uber motivated at getting their chance in a RWC year.

With home advantage that team ought to be good enough to see off a weakened SA and a poor Aus. Japan should be a given. Every team has to cope with injuries and a 1/4 return would leave the RFU in a very awkward position.

Totes this. One could say that the backrow is better now, and has more chance of improving in the next year esp at 6 and 7. Billy would only make us stronger if he's fit.

The backs are fine really. Tuilagi is different to anyone else we've got. Big Joe offers another exciting option.

This does slightly overlook how poor the last 10 months' results has been and the level of familiarity that will be lost. Wholeheartedly appreciate the positive attitude though. I reallly hope you're right and it will be nice to see some new faces regardless (even if Fazlet's is still among them )

Does big joe have any defencive issues still? And what is manus defence like? I know he can put in big hits but does he get stood up?

Would like to see ford may faz manu Cockanasiga daly. 22 slade 23 nowell/ashton if he earns it. Could be a strong mix of pace and power.

Would be worried of faz manu cockanasiga getting outpaced or drawn in by teams like NZ.

Cokanasiga is supposed to have the highest top speed of any player at Bath (over the likes of Watson...)