• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[EOYT] England vs New Zealand 16/11/13

So if Corbs is out...and Mako is out...and Marler is out, then we have Mullan and who? Ross Harrison?

Somebody get on the phone to Toulon. Immediatley.

He's played a fair bit at Saints though hasn't he? Maybe England need to try and sort out a deal with Northampton where he plays a bit less?

I get the distinct impression that my head is going to be saying "I told you so!" to my heart around 4:30pm on Saturday but I don't care because I'll probably be merrily sloshed by then anyway, so... C'mon England!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

St Georges Girl.jpg

So if Corbs is out...and Mako is out...and Marler is out, then we have Mullan and who? Ross Harrison?

Somebody get on the phone to Toulon. Immediatley.
Ah, forgot about Big Ted.
Are Toulon obliged to release him, if we called, due to it being in the agreed international window, or is there a cutoff point for naming players? (then again maybe he's got a no internationals clause in his contract? I can't remember him saying in the press how keen he is to play for England etc.)

Maybe they'd look at giving a token cap to someone like Boris Stankovich? Not going to pressing for an England spot in the future, but could come in and do a job for 20mins from the bench etc.

Are Toulon obliged to release him, if we called, due to it being in the agreed international window, or is there a cutoff point for naming players? (then again maybe he's got a no internationals clause in his contract? I can't remember him saying in the press how keen he is to play for England etc.)

Maybe they'd look at giving a token cap to someone like Boris Stankovich? Not going to pressing for an England spot in the future, but could come in and do a job for 20mins from the bench etc.

I remember a while ago, around the Autumn of last year and prior, reading some articles about Sheri saying how he would still like to be involved with England and the lions. Then about a week before the touring squad was announced he played down the hype over his possible selection. Considering the major loosehead woes that incurred on that tour Im inclined to believe that he had turned down the chance or maybe had already spoken to Warren Gatland already? Remember Matt Stevens was called up on the back of a monstering come scrum time against Toulon.

As far as I know, he hasn't retired internationally but IMO likely feels he owes something to Toulon who have put their faith in him ahead of some truly established looseheads (Jenkins). Havent seen much of him this season but a few whispers say he is struggling with the new scrum laws, largely because it takes the power out of the hit that made him intimidating in that area.

Henry Thomas? Though that would be a baptism by fire.

Just watched back the last AB v Saffer game, the AB scrum got destroyed initially but soon recovered and that hard to pin down but ever present clinical-edge under high pressure just leaves me thinking there can only be one result.

Wood is right to say that teams lose before a game, though the AB's seem better prepared this time around. The France game. Knowing they cant just turn up and win.

Hoping they're too pumped and turn thuggish giving away plenty of penalties.

England to win by 1.:cool:

I guess as we're within the international window Toulon would have to release him?

If this were to happen I'd do a big 'told you so' after the rant I had on the EOTY thread about how he's the only Toulon player worth a (hypothetical) recall.

I get the distinct impression that my head is going to be saying "I told you so!" to my heart around 4:30pm on Saturday but I don't care because I'll probably be merrily sloshed by then anyway, so... C'mon England!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View attachment 2524

Now, now...that picture could offend the Muslims, you know....

Oh and since we're doing the English pride thing, I couldn't resist posting this one I found...it's so incredibly exaggerated, I had to post it here:
st george grace of god.jpg

I guess as we're within the international window Toulon would have to release him?

If this were to happen I'd do a big 'told you so' after the rant I had on the EOTY thread about how he's the only Toulon player worth a (hypothetical) recall.

It won't happen, it's too late in the week to even consider it happening. They were looking to 'see where he's is' before the South Africa tour, but his recovery from injury and subsequent move to Toulon put an end to any further international prospects - under Lancaster at least.

Squad update + 23 players retained announced at 7, so just over 10mins.

Edit:
[h=3]Forwards (13)[/h]Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers)
Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints)
Joe Launchbury (London Wasps)
Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints)
Joe Marler (Harlequins)
Ben Morgan (Gloucester Rugby)
Matt Mullan (London Wasps)
Geoff Parling (Leicester Tigers)
Chris Robshaw (Harlequins)
Billy Vunipola (Saracens)
David Wilson (Bath Rugby)
Tom Wood (Northampton Saints)
Tom Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

[h=3]Backs (10)[/h]Chris Ashton (Saracens)
Mike Brown (Harlequins)
Lee Dickson (Northampton Saints)
Owen Farrell (Saracens)
Toby Flood (Leicester Tigers)
Ben Foden (Northampton Saints)
Alex Goode (Saracens)
Joel Tomkins (Saracens)
Billy Twelvetrees (Gloucester Rugby)
Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

Last edited:
Hasn't dan cole spent some time at LH ? Maybe him Hartley and Wilson might set up a nice front row . Cole is certainly someone who could get round the pitch a bit . Just depends how well he gets used to the other side of the scrum .

This is one the basis marler can't play

The real issue here is if Lancaster has picked Foden over Yarde or if Yarde is still broken. If the former is the case then I despair.

He was training today according to the gettyimages photos.

Marler is fine... it's a big step up for Mullan though.

Oh you and your gettyimages searches!

So we're likely to have a fullback starting on the wing instead of a winger and a substandard fullback on the bench instead of a very good fullback who is being shoe horned in on the wing. Mind bending.

Hasn't dan cole spent some time at LH ? Maybe him Hartley and Wilson might set up a nice front row . Cole is certainly someone who could get round the pitch a bit . Just depends how well he gets used to the other side of the scrum .

This is one the basis marler can't play

A thousand times no.

I'm fine with Mullan. NZ's scrum hasn't been amazing (famous last words).

Latest posts