• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland v South Africa

I thought it was a great game other than having to watch it in french. A few tense moments and unnoticed knocks.

Sexton was excellent, Steryn not so much..

I haven't read any of the fall-out since the game, but would like to say well done Ireland for that win.

We're all wallowing in a black pit of despair in the depths of rugby hell.

Fokken Morne Steyn.

What really suppriesed me was that POC really steped up and got us some pentiets like in the Wales game. We won becues SA lineout was messed up and becues Moire Steyen (don't know how to spell his name) kick the ball way too much.

Well, i don't have much to say really. But here is where we went wrong:

1. Penalties, penalties, penalties. Gave away too many. Some were rather bullshit calls, but Ireland also had some shocking decisions against them.

2. Our lineout was nowhere. Crap really.

3. We scrum Ireland to hell and back, and gain the upper hand, which results in a great try. Then, PdV has a Lions moment, and substitutes what's working. Next thing, we are going backwards in the scrums, and penalties start a comin'. Well done coach.

4. Tactical kicking. We kicked everything. Every single ball we had, we kicked away. To make matters worse, we kicked them away crapply!

That's pretty much it really. Ireland were average i thought, but did the basics well. Their ball retention was superb, and they had some good line-breaks. D'Arcy made a massive difference wen he came on as well. Sexton is one helluva goal kicker though, and did great under the pressure. Other than that, i don't think Ireland did anything special, but 5 kicks was enough for them to win it (which pretty much sums up our day.)

We need some sort of plan, because whatever we are doing, is not working anymore. South Africa need to stop playing South African rugby.

You know it's the frist time Ireland didn't scoer a try in a macth this year. That was becues of a great SA defence welll done there.

When John Smit was at hooker, the scrum went brilliantly and the lineout struggled. When he was at prop, the lineout picked up and the scrum buckled. Does that suggest that he isn't worth his place in the team and the Boks would be better off picking Du Plessis, Botha/van der Linde and going for, say, Jean De Villiers as captain?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Nov 29 2009, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
When John Smit was at hooker, the scrum went brilliantly and the lineout struggled. When he was at prop, the lineout picked up and the scrum buckled. Does that suggest that he isn't worth his place in the team and the Boks would be better off picking Du Plessis, Botha/van der Linde and going for, say, Jean De Villiers as captain?[/b]

Honestly, i don't know. I'm getting annoyed at this substitution issue though. PdV is retarded when it comes to the bench.

When Morne Steyn kicked the ball, I breathed a sigh of relief because I knew there was only one person who was going to catch the ball - SuperRob JesusKearney (remember that anyone)

When Morne Steyn passed the ball, like in the build up for the Burger try, I was worried, you were stretching our defence and gaps were appearing all over the place.

So why kick the ball 95% of the time?

A few words on Sexton's performance: Well it was damn good. Told you so! Na na na na na na! :bleh!:

but sure as Kidney said ROG would have probably got all the kicks... would he f*** have!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Nov 29 2009, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
A few words on Sexton's performance: Well it was damn good. Told you so! Na na na na na na! :bleh!:[/b]

He was, was the first time I've seen him play (I think). Very impressed, composed and not afraid to gamble on breaking the gain line, something which ROG doesnt do enough. Did yo see when Sexton got his 4th or 5th penalty ROG's expression. He was like "Damn, hes better than me"

We all know it's not true, just like Kidney saying it wasn't a form selection, just giving a young player a chance :lol:

It's all about keeping O'Gara's confidence levels up it seems.

Am I the only person thinking Sexton's performance wasn't anything special? I mean, if O'Gara played like that, nobody would bat an eyelid. His goal kicking was quite good as was his positional play but he didn't exactly get the backline firing on all cylinders and he misjudged a couple of kicks when Ireland were attacking.

I'd give him 7 out of 10 but no more than that. It must be a huge confidence boost for him to beat the World Cup winners in only his 2nd cap though. There's plenty more to come from him.

Latest posts