• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland v South Africa

Why is it the Lions' beef has re-emerged here?

South Africa, you lost to the better team on the weekend. There is no evidence of any foul play by Heaslip. Bekker was lucky not to get carded at the very least. Aside from this, I didn't see any Irish misdemeanours on the field, nor too many refereeing mistakes.

Ireland, stop poking the fire. Just like it's a South African trait to get very defensive, it is an Irish trait to make a big fuss out of very little (see FAI/ Umaga). You won the match... not really worth getting angry about supposed cheapshots.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Dec 2 2009, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You won the match... not really worth getting angry about supposed cheapshots.[/b]

True, but dont understand why they cant once admit that either themselves or their team may be wrong. Was the same during the Lions tour. I couldnt be arsed talking with them anymore. I'm just going to wind em up in future. Same result (angry bok) but much more fun for me.

The funny thing is, is that the players have probably gotten over these incidents quicker then the fans.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (el_tk @ Dec 3 2009, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBokke @ Dec 2 2009, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Dec 3 2009, 02:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stormer2010 @ Dec 2 2009, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for not clapping a team off, I think this comes form the B&I Lions as a *** for tat and I think is fair enough considering Heaslips gouging and the Irish pretty much representing the 2009 B&I Lions IMO.[/b]

1. Which never f***ing happened you fool!

As far as I can see it was a character assassination attempt by your genius team because Heaslip had the nerve to criticize Burger and the tiny slap on the wrist ban he was given.

2. This kind of stuff along with the Armband incident and you r coach saying there is nothing wrong with a bit of gouging is turning the Boks in to a laughing stock

There was only one obvious instance of foul play in that match, Bekker holding a prone player on the floor and dropping his knee in the to back of his head, which deserved a straight red card. I don't here the Irish whinging or asking the Citing commissioner to investigate.

3. Man up.
[/b][/quote]
1. age?
2.In your eyes bud all my mates from NZ, FRA, ENG, Wales,IRE etc rate the Boks.
3. we try but then you boys start crying.
[/b][/quote]

Love the way you completely ignore the Boks foul play to **** and moan about unfounded allegations against Heaslip.

SA are winning themselves no friends with their current style of play and attitude.

"Manning Up" doesn't involve gouging, late hits, armbands, or refusal to acknowledge long-established rugby tradition. Any moron can run around a pitch gouging and fouling people.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks for the lesson but I am pretty clear on what manning up is that comment was tongue in cheek big guy. Played rugby for long enough to know the traditions of the game. So you claim all SA players gouge make late hits etc.... :lol: Well don't worry when you go to church this Sunday you will be able to see the entire Irish team on display; they will be the alter boys standing next to the priest.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Dec 3 2009, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Dec 2 2009, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You won the match... not really worth getting angry about supposed cheapshots.[/b]

True, but dont understand why they cant once admit that either themselves or their team may be wrong. Was the same during the Lions tour. I couldnt be arsed talking with them anymore. I'm just going to wind em up in future. Same result (angry bok) but much more fun for me.
[/b][/quote]

:lol: yeah we are all so upset. We all condemned burger for his act during the Lions series, maybe you should change your specs they seem to be giving you a selective reading disorder.

As for the rest of the Lion series & the game on Sat I saw as many cheap shots coming from your your boys as from ours so please for the love of god stop :cryy:

As for angry bok more like happy Bok it was a fantastic year for us.

Didn't see any cheap shots on Saturday. Although Sheridan trying to pull the balls of some Saffer was as cheap as it gets. For the lawls

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Dec 2 2009, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
True, but dont understand why they cant once admit that either themselves or their team may be wrong.[/b]

Wow, funny that this is coming from YOU! Whether it was this thread, the religion thread, or the 2009 player of the year thread, you come out blasting your statements and don't give two shits about what anybody else thinks or has to say. To me, you come across as someone who thinks he knows everything about everything, regardless of what anybody else thinks, even if they are right.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Dec 3 2009, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
To me, you come across as someone who thinks he knows everything about everything, regardless of what anybody else thinks, even if they are right.[/b]

You point out to me where I'm wrong and I'll put my hand up. I have no problem with being wrong but I choose my arguements carefully and will only back up my statements once I am confident I'm right. The Religion thread is an example of that. If I'm not sure I'll happily say I havent a clue or stay away from it. The climate change debate is an example of THAT.

The Player of the year 2009 thread was great fun. Read it again and you'll see where I was coming from. It aint my fault if you cant see it.

As for this thread. I said the Boks were crass for not applauding the team off and for publicly calling Heaslip a gouger without evidence. I wasnt wrong in what I said. You just didnt like it.

In response, you have raised cheap shots from the Irish (no evidence), the Irish press comments (simply didnt happen so you cant have an evidence for it) and I dont think you have once commented on the stuff that we know DID happen beyond saying the Irish deserved it for what happened on the Lions tour 6 months ago (though I remember quite a few Welsh and English men putting themselves about both on and off the pitch).

I'm using facts, though they may well be selective, you are just making stuff up. Thats why I dont give a **** about what you have to say on THIS topic.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Dec 3 2009, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You point out to me where I'm wrong and I'll put my hand up. I have no problem with being wrong but I choose my arguements carefully and will only back up my statements once I am confident I'm right. The Religion thread is an example of that. If I'm not sure I'll happily say I havent a clue or stay away from it. The climate change debate is an example of THAT.

The Player of the year 2009 thread was great fun. Read it again and you'll see where I was coming from. It aint my fault if you cant see it.

As for this thread. I said the Boks were crass for not applauding the team off and for publicly calling Heaslip a gouger without evidence. I wasnt wrong in what I said. You just didnt like it.

In response, you have raised cheap shots from the Irish (no evidence), the Irish press comments (simply didnt happen so you cant have an evidence for it) and I dont think you have once commented on the stuff that we know DID happen beyond saying the Irish deserved it for what happened on the Lions tour 6 months ago (though I remember quite a few Welsh and English men putting themselves about both on and off the pitch).

I'm using facts, though they may well be selective, you are just making stuff up. Thats why I dont give a **** about what you have to say on THIS topic.[/b]

Nice, you just completely proved my point.

What cheap shots from the Irish have i raised? Nowhere in this entire thread did i say they did anything dirty on the field. NOWHERE. I merely stated that they were being dick-heads, which they were. I'm going to add some quotes from John Smit's book soon regarding certain Irish players...

In the build-up to the game, all i read everywhere was how the Irish are calling this "the revenge game" or "payback" etc etc, and that everywhere the Irish press were talking about the gouging incident, as well as how dirty our players are. Most of these articles were written by our journalists who travel with the teams to write articles about the tour and attend press conferences. If none of this ever happened, then i suppose i am quoting a bunch of liars. Basically, that was all that was being said in our media. You honestly think i just randomly decided, "hey, I'm going to make up a story about how Ireland are calling us names..." ? That's ridiculous.

On the hand clapping issue, it's purely my opinion isn't it?

Not everything we do is perfect. Far from it. This Heaslip gouge thing is appalling, and ****** me off. What our idiot coach said after the Schalk Burger incident is embarrassing, and utterly crazy. What Bismark did in that 'BOD threaten incident' made me want to kill him. In my view though, not everything you boys do is perfect either is it?

I can't see where this is all coming from?

I have seen the irish players in conferences saying nothing but good and respectful things about the Boks:

BOD:'Is there animosity? No. I'm sure we'll see a competitive edge as we always do when we face South Africa but there will certainly be no leftovers from the tour. That's done and dusted and is behind us. We move on and look to the next big game and that's South Africa.
'What a huge challenge it is to play the reigning world and Tri-Nations champions at Croke Park for the first time. It will be a special occasion.
'We give the same respect to every team and South Africa are no different. There will be excitement because they are world champions.

And the same going the other way:

"Jean de Villiers: 'This whole bad blood thing is unnecessary, blown out of proportion.'

TBH - the Rugby press is getting as bad as the Soccer press - taking snippets of quotes out of context and stirring it all up, but that is their job - We're here getting into an argument about said, even though the underlying fact is that we're basically in agreement. Ireland played well - lot to do, and SA could and probably should have won the game. But didn't..missed kicks, tinkering coach taking away the only solid platform etc..As we well know here - losing a few matches on the trot does not make a bad team and they're still the best in the world imo.

Not clapping....meh...Smit still went out and shook hands with the irish players...Burger a ******...sure, but who cares? he's a great player and was riled by the press. Not going to hate a guy for kicking a ball into a partisan crowd! Not going to hate a guy for being punished weakly for gouging! yes he did it, and he was punished - it may not have been severe enough, but that's not his fault, take it up with the citing commissioner. Accusing Heaslip of gouging? He may well have - i don't care how many cameras are on a ruck, still cannot be seen, and with fog etc it's even more difficult..They don't associate the 'dark arts' with rucktime for no reason. if i'm in a ruck and i feel **** going on with my face, i'm going to say something about it - it's then escalated and with the management to deal with it as they see fit..they just did it badly by naming the player before the commissioner ruled..that's all..no biggie!

Regardless - I'm delighted with the win, but unless we win one of these SH games IN THE SH, then it's all moot. We have the beginnings, but not the consistancy. Hopefully we'll get there.

The Irish rugby media (not to be confused with Irish football, or UK media in general) is actually quite solid in their coverage of rugby. Smit is taking his sources from the SA media, who in turn seem to be missquoting the Irish Media. The articles I've read were hugely selective and while of course there is an element of revenge (the Irish players said as much on tour), but there is nothing nasty in it. We just think we can, and so want to beat the Boks.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Not everything we do is perfect. Far from it. This Heaslip gouge thing is appalling, and ****** me off. What our idiot coach said after the Schalk Burger incident is embarrassing, and utterly crazy. What Bismark did in that 'BOD threaten incident' made me want to kill him.[/b]
Cool. Thank you.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
In my view though, not everything you boys do is perfect either is it?[/b]
Hell no. I'd say the likes of BOD, POC, Heaslip and the likes are a right bunch of tossers to play against (but they are no Mike Phillips) and we've always had the likes of the Claw, Quinlan and many others that like the schneaky stuff as much as anyone. The thing is a lot of the Irish lads are a seriously good bunch of guys.

Download and take a look at the documentary here

Its a good watch. and you'll get a better understanding of the team behing the quotes.

South Africa have anything similar worth watching. Would love to see them review a tri-nations or a lions tour.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Dec 3 2009, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Dec 3 2009, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm using facts, though they may well be selective, you are just making stuff up. Thats why I dont give a **** about what you have to say on THIS topic.[/b]

Nice, you just completely proved my point.

What cheap shots from the Irish have i raised? Nowhere in this entire thread did i say they did anything dirty on the field. NOWHERE. I merely stated that they were being dick-heads, which they were. I'm going to add some quotes from John Smit's book soon regarding certain Irish players...

In the build-up to the game, all i read everywhere was how the Irish are calling this "the revenge game" or "payback" etc etc, and that everywhere the Irish press were talking about the gouging incident, as well as how dirty our players are. Most of these articles were written by our journalists who travel with the teams to write articles about the tour and attend press conferences. If none of this ever happened, then i suppose i am quoting a bunch of liars. Basically, that was all that was being said in our media. You honestly think i just randomly decided, "hey, I'm going to make up a story about how Ireland are calling us names..." ? That's ridiculous.

On the hand clapping issue, it's purely my opinion isn't it?

Not everything we do is perfect. Far from it. This Heaslip gouge thing is appalling, and ****** me off. What our idiot coach said after the Schalk Burger incident is embarrassing, and utterly crazy. What Bismark did in that 'BOD threaten incident' made me want to kill him. In my view though, not everything you boys do is perfect either is it?

[/b][/quote]

Em, yeah, all very reasonable.

But I've just highlighted that bit because....well quite frankly I think we should all start ignoring the media. We all know they're bullshitters.

My own view on this. I have no problem with players considering it a 'revenge game' so long as they do it quietly, preferably in their own head or with a friend around camp. Different people motivate themselves in different ways. Nobody player ever said anything like that in the media. Alot of players did say (e.g Tommy Bowe, Keith Earls) that they were dissapointed with how the Lions ended or their own performances in the tour and they were looking for a nother cut at the Bokke. I'm sure the media in SA twisted that into a grudge match thing.

I haven't read that much on the gouging issue. Why are your media reporting on what our media is saying? Are they that lost for words? I'll give you a sample though:

0002675e.jpg
http://www.rte.ie/ie/sportrugbynov2009/entry/guinness_november_series_blog1</a>

Now can we all just build a bridge and get the fock over it?

And ignore the media.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Dec 4 2009, 12:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Dec 3 2009, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To me, you come across as someone who thinks he knows everything about everything, regardless of what anybody else thinks, even if they are right.[/b]

You point out to me where I'm wrong and I'll put my hand up. I have no problem with being wrong but 1. I choose my arguements carefully and will only back up my statements once I am confident I'm right. The Religion thread is an example of that. If I'm not sure I'll happily say I havent a clue or stay away from it. The climate change debate is an example of THAT.

As for this thread. I said the Boks were crass for not applauding the team off and for 2. publicly calling Heaslip a gouger without evidence. I wasnt wrong in what I said. You just didnt like it.

I'm using facts, though they may well be selective, you are just making stuff up. Thats why I dont give a **** about what you have to say on THIS topic.
[/b][/quote]

1. really?
2. Need to research a little harder. SA never named Heaslip http://www.rugby365.com/all_news/sa/news/2092240.htm Not that you will believe any of this! I suppose the Boks made it up hu?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Dec 3 2009, 07:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Originally posted by TheBokke
So just cause there is no Footage of the gouge it never happened. Suppose Woodcock was lying as well. Wow you Irish boys(on this website) really have an angleic view of all things Irish. Apparently the Irish guys on the tour were very poor sports; none of the other nations were blamed just the Irish, so a little food for thought.
1.Well the whole innocent until proven guilty jazz would seem to say so yes.
[/b]

Well that would clear Burger then as he was cleared of eye gouging. "At the time of Burger's incident in the Lions Series, Judicial Officer Alan Hudson specifically cleared the Bok flank of eye-gouging, but found him guilty of "committing an act contrary to good sportsmanship by making contact with the face in the eye area" of Fitzgerald."I do not find this to be an intentional act on the part of Burger. In my view his actions were clearly reckless," said Hudson at the time of the incident.

yes. Roll on Magners League and H'cup so wen can find something else to squabble over.

Latest posts