• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland v South Africa

Are SA really that stupid to have their lineout calls as twee and vier? I highly doubt it. Are they stupid enough to be using the same calls from 2007? I highly doubt it.

The way I see it Matfield got comprehensively outplayed by Paul "The Myth" O'Connell, any bullshit "they leaned a few words of Afrikaans" excuse doesn't wash.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Dec 1 2009, 12:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Are SA really that stupid to have their lineout calls as twee and vier? I highly doubt it. Are they stupid enough to be using the same calls from 2007? I highly doubt it.

The way I see it Matfield got comprehensively outplayed by Paul "The Myth" O'Connell, any bullshit "they leaned a few words of Afrikaans" excuse doesn't wash.[/b]

If they did get wind PO'C did learn Afrikaans they'd test it with Afrikaan calls like "O'Connell is a moron". If he punches the player then SA know they need to come up with a new system.

Of course O'Connell might just punched the South African cos he felt like it.

First off good game Ireland and SA but I reckon SA were lucky not to be playing with 14 men for 20 mins. It's one thing not sin binning JP Piterson(sp) for trying to take Bowe's head off while offside, but how Bekker didn't get at least a yellow from dropping his knee on the head of a player when the assist ref saw it is beyond me. I mean if that kind of thing doesn't get carded then :ranting:

I have just watched the replay of this game on the rugby channel here in NZ and can I say this was a bloody good game!! Well Done Ireland a well deserved win!!!!!!!!!!

From the times today. Thornley is usually bang on with his reporting so I'd take it as fact now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Most of the Springboks sullenly made off for the tunnel without returning the guard of honour which the Ireland team afforded them in one of rugby’s most cherished age-old customs. There was huge rancour in the Ireland camp over this basic lack of courtesy but then these Boks revel in their hard-man, confrontational image.

Their gracious and articulate captain John Smit â€" without whom they’d have hardly any PR worth the name â€" and coach Pieter de Villiers both magnanimously accepted Ireland were worthy winners but it was a disappointing lack of courtesy from a team led by the World Cup-winning captain.[/b]

Pretty crass stuff from the squad. While I dont doubt the likes of Heaslip, O'Connell, O'Driscoll and O'Callaghan do everything they can to rub the opposition the wrong way there is no excuse for that nonsense. Add this to the stupid citings (multiple) from the Boks and as Thornley put it, without Smit they’d have hardly any PR worth the name.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Nov 30 2009, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Nov 30 2009, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wouldnt say we've peaked at all. The foundations are in place, that is all.[/b]

Agree. The foundations have been there for 5 years - consistent good performance. The 6Nations was when Ireland realised they were capable of being world class. This autumn was where Ireland realise they are world class.

2010 must bring a great 6N performance - if they lose in Paris or London so be it, but they can only afford to lose once. They then play New Zealand and Australia on tour... 1 win would be a great result from that tour.

Then comes the autumn, and Ireland should hope to beat both NZ and SA again. Then 6N 2011... another good performance and Ireland have all the foundations in place to go into the world cup 2011 with hopes (and not unfounded ones either) of winning the world cup.
[/b][/quote]

Let's make the play offs first, gents.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Dec 1 2009, 02:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

The way I see it Matfield got comprehensively outplayed by Paul "The Myth" O'Connell, any bullshit "they leaned a few words of Afrikaans" excuse doesn't wash.[/b]

SA throwing down the middle (except for 2 occasions) but Ireland not returnnig the favour and a skeel Owens probably helped.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Dec 1 2009, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
From the times today. Thornley is usually bang on with his reporting so I'd take it as fact now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Most of the Springboks sullenly made off for the tunnel without returning the guard of honour which the Ireland team afforded them in one of rugby’s most cherished age-old customs. There was huge rancour in the Ireland camp over this basic lack of courtesy but then these Boks revel in their hard-man, confrontational image.

Their gracious and articulate captain John Smit â€" without whom they’d have hardly any PR worth the name â€" and coach Pieter de Villiers both magnanimously accepted Ireland were worthy winners but it was a disappointing lack of courtesy from a team led by the World Cup-winning captain.[/b]

Pretty crass stuff from the squad. While I dont doubt the likes of Heaslip, O'Connell, O'Driscoll and O'Callaghan do everything they can to rub the opposition the wrong way there is no excuse for that nonsense. Add this to the stupid citings (multiple) from the Boks and as Thornley put it, without Smit they’d have hardly any PR worth the name.
[/b][/quote]

High, Pot. You're black.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stormer2010 @ Dec 1 2009, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
SA throwing down the middle (except for 2 occasions) but Ireland not returnnig the favour and a skeel Owens probably helped.[/b]
So ireland not throwing the ball straight explains why your lineout was destroyed?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stormer2010 @ Dec 1 2009, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
High, Pot. You're black.[/b]
Not going drinking with your players mid way through a series (why the **** any player would want to do that is beyond me) is not the same as shunning them post match. Not clapping a team off is pretty pathetic. Either way, I presume you'll do the same when you play England, Scotland or Wales in the future yeah?

As is multiple citings from the Boks where the Irish let Bekkers knee to the back of Wallaces head go, and publicly calling Heaslip a gouger with no evidence in some form of retaliation for Heaslip calling Burger a gouger. Sad really.

I also think Ireland are getting a little bit ahead of themselves. We had an awful tour, and were nothing like the side that played against the Lions and in the Tri-Nations. Ireland had a good 6 Nations, but come on! Their only real contenders were Wales and France. England are nowhere, France blow hot and cold, and Wales are just not good enough to compete against the top 3 teams in world rugby.

The fact is, this is one of the best Irish teams in decades, and we had a **** poor day at the office, yet were still in the game until the very end. Heck, if all of our kicks went over we probably would have won, as Ireland never threatened our line more than twice the entire game. Ireland have a long way to go before i put them in the same class as us or New Zealand at our peaks.

I'm not saying they won't be competitive, but i just can't see it happening. Once they manage to beat us, New Zealand or Australia on home soil, then we can talk about World Cups. But for now, even if this Irish team stays together till 2011, i can't see them beating us in a World Cup, let alone New Zealand on their soil.

Still, England managed to do it by building on a good foundation, so perhaps the Irish can do it as well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Dec 1 2009, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Not clapping a team off is pretty pathetic. Either way, I presume you'll do the same when you play England, Scotland or Wales in the future yeah?

As is multiple citings from the Boks where the Irish let Bekkers knee to the back of Wallaces head go, and publicly calling Heaslip a gouger with no evidence in some form of retaliation for Heaslip calling Burger a gouger. Sad really.[/b]

I didn't hear you saying any of this when the Lions were moaning their asses off. Mike Phillips and BOD were absolute pricks after the series, and POC was just as bad.

As for the gouging, who exactly made these claims? Do you know? It sounds like a farce to me, and it's got jack **** to do with our players.

Also, quite frankly, i wouldn't have clapped off the Irish either after what their media had to say about us in the build up. Gouger this, dirty that, thug this, hooligan that.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Dec 1 2009, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The fact is, this is one of the best Irish teams in decades, and we had a **** poor day at the office, yet were still in the game until the very end. Heck, if all of our kicks went over we probably would have won, as Ireland never threatened our line more than twice the entire game. Ireland have a long way to go before i put them in the same class as us or New Zealand at our peaks.[/b]

I have to agree on most on your post and on this about the match SA-IR ...Sa lost his match more than Ireland won it , even if Ireland has been strong on basics , on defense , strong enough to stop SA to play...Though i do not consider SA on the AB or aussies level , they are too much predictable in their game and not enough running rugby . I think SA is on the level of IR , FR and EN as AB and Aussies are on the level above . sufficient to look on last ten years internationals matches results to understand it .

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bernard @ Dec 1 2009, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Though i do not consider SA on the AB or aussies level , they are too much predictable in their game and not enough running rugby . I think SA is on the level of IR , FR and EN as AB and Aussies are on the level above . sufficient to look on last ten years internationals matches results to understand it .[/b]

Uh, we beat New Zealand 3 times this year, not losing to them once, beat Australia twice, and only lost to them once, won 2 World Cups, were the number 1 side in the world for most of the year, and you think we are not on the same level as Australia or New Zealand?

That sure makes a lot of sense.

The citing requests come from the South African management as a result of complaints made by the players. Where do you think it came from cause there was NO VIDEO EVIDENCE TO PROVE ANY OF IT!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Dec 1 2009, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Also, quite frankly, I wouldn't have clapped off the Irish either after what their media had to say about us in the build up. Gouger this, dirty that, thug this, hooligan that.[/b]
So the team on the field is responsible for what the media writes? Boycott the Irish media then. Saving it until after you were beaten brings pathethic to a whole new level.

As for Drico, POC and Philips. What has any of that to do with the above? That was a Lions tour, half the players involved last Saturday werent even there. Why insult 20 players for the perceived slights from 2 of them?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Dec 1 2009, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So the team on the field is responsible for what the media writes? Boycott the Irish media then. Saving it until after you were beaten brings pathethic to a whole new level.[/b]

I'm just saying i wouldn't have wanted to clap either, and i don't give a toss what you think is pathetic, because i find the Irish players have bigger mouths than any other team out there. The amount of horse **** i heard Heaslip and O' Driscoll have to say about us was appalling. It doesn't matter how many players are involved, you DO condemn the entire team. Same thing happened when Burger had one moment of insanity, the entire rugby world labelled us as thugs and dirty players.

Woah I've missed a lot of this discussion since Saturday.

Firstly congrats to Ireland, you guys took your chances and that's what quality teams do. You deserved the victory.
Initially I was angry after the game, I always am after my team losses. After looking at the game again one thing that it kept coming up is the fact that Ireland just wanted this more. The Boks only looked like they wanted to play in the 1st 15 minutes and the last 15 minutes (which was more panic). As a rugby fan I always like to see a team win that wanted it more, if that team happens to be opposition of the, Boks then so be it.

Like the France defeat, we needed this, we needed this to wake our team management up. Although we've been the most dominant team of 2009, we still had weaknesses, mostly self-inflicted but also player depth wise.
The Bok scrum is still a force to be feared, but only when we play the right players!
BJ Botha made the scrum take a 180 degree turn, we absolutely mauled the Irish scrum in the 1st half. The arrogant PdV helped us lose this game by putting Smit back at 3. IMO I'm glad this got exposed in a friendly game rather than some game that had value. The Smit experiment at 3 has failed, let's accept it and move on. PdV has put Smit in an extremely crap situation because Smit respects the jersey and will keep going at it if that's the coaches' wishes instead of telling him the truth. The truth being that him at 3 is just not working.

Unsurprising 10 again seems to be a prob position for the Boks. I rate Morne Steyn though, perhaps I'm being a bit harsh and it's just a dip in form. Either way there is no clear replacement for Steyn, Pienaar's recent performances have been below par. He also doesn't seem to be enjoying his rugby. Another player that has been played out of position by PdV who is struggling. The recent departures of De Villiers and Frans Steyn have left a very clear gap in those positions. Bok supporters should not panic yet. Jean De Villiers and Frans Steyn are world class players, of course this will have an effect on the team, specifically the backline. It will take time for players to adjust the whole setup. Plus after they recover from injury Jantjes and Ludik (he was picked ahead of Kirchner for the Emerging Bok vs B&I Lions game) will probably be considered ahead of Kirchner, who BTW wasn't that bad.

The underlying feeling I'm trying to get over to you guys is to have some perspective here. The Boks won the IRB Team of The Year for a reason. Alot of these players have won the S14, The B&I Lions tour, the TN and the Currie Cup. They've been putting in 110% to every game since February. And it's not like we got hammered, we scored the only try in the Ireland game.
Sit back and think about what our team has achieved, are more importantly won the games that really mattered. Remember how everybody was going on when we beat the AB's 3 times in a row this year, and when we won the Lions Series with a game to spare. Yeah, that's more like it!
In the grand scheme of things these recent defeats are a tiny dent in our armour (and egos!).

Alot of people have things to say about the Boks recently, we not all that & we are overrated (not in so many words) but look where we at, I mean really look where we at. We just recently got bumped down to 2nd on the world rankings. WHAT A TRAVESTY! The teams that are bad mouthing us have never even been 1st, let alone taken the shameful tumble to 2nd. See what I mean?

This is a great team and we've had an AMAZING year, lets give ourselves a break.

SA's problem might be they see themselves as a law unto themselves. Not clapping a team off, silly armbands protesting a citation, raising fists against players on the floor? Rugby is a game of laws and tradition, and that's not rugby. Suggests they can't see where they really stand. Know thyself, glasshoppa.

Ireland are a speedbump to the SH really - we have very little chance of stringing three big wins together against them in a single competition. But we know how to beat SA three times in a row. Hehehe.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Dec 2 2009, 03:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bernard @ Dec 1 2009, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Though i do not consider SA on the AB or aussies level , they are too much predictable in their game and not enough running rugby . I think SA is on the level of IR , FR and EN as AB and Aussies are on the level above . sufficient to look on last ten years internationals matches results to understand it .[/b]

Uh, we beat New Zealand 3 times this year, not losing to them once, beat Australia twice, and only lost to them once, won 2 World Cups, were the number 1 side in the world for most of the year, and you think we are not on the same level as Australia or New Zealand?

[/b][/quote]

Man I think South Africa is one of the toughest teams in the world! They seem to have much larger, harder and faster players and this is not just at international level!! I would certainly hate to play against any South African side!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Dec 1 2009, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bernard @ Dec 1 2009, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

I'm not only talking about this year ...i will speak for France mainly but in the past 10 years we have beaten SA equally as they beat us . it is not the case with aussies and NZ . SA never scored 40-50 points against france as Australia and NZ did . I think you have a rugby that is closer from NH teams and so it is more easy for us to play against you , we are not in unknown territory or Alien territory :p ...Maybe i was a bit harsh and i would temper my judgement in saying that SA is above FR , EN , IRL but not at the same level of Aussies and AB . Though if you look at result from 100 years , you have beaten Aussies more often than them could have beaten you but i would say that in last ten years that is not really the case . In terms of the impression you can make on NH teams , i do not feel that it is the same feeling like having a match against aussies or AB ...

But overall yeah , i told it already , you had tremendous year and on the result , you are number one defenitly . but in my mind you do not represent the danger that AB or aussies can represent , maybe a question of rugby style , i do not know but my statement was coming from that ...and this statement is felt since long time , not from this autumn tour ...it would be good that a british talk his thought about that to see if it is the same .

I do not mean bad about SA , just sharing my French feeling about ur team ...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Dec 1 2009, 06:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Add this to the stupid citings (multiple) from the Boks and as Thornley put it, without Smit they’d have hardly any PR worth the name.[/b]

The way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised to see multiple citings from every game pretty soon. It's RUGBY. Of course **** goes; it always has. What's different is that people's attitude towards it has changed. You could see it in the refs first; they have been blowing it up for really innocuous stuff recently. Whereas before it was just rugby, the IRB wants to go mega-f***ing disney land on us and sugar coat things. Tell me, how the f*** do you sugar coat a ruck? Only waiting for someone to come up with a citing saying "I got f'ed in the a at the bottom of the ruck". Who do you think might say that? I'd go with Abendanon.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Dec 1 2009, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Dec 1 2009, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not clapping a team off is pretty pathetic. Either way, I presume you'll do the same when you play England, Scotland or Wales in the future yeah?

As is multiple citings from the Boks where the Irish let Bekkers knee to the back of Wallaces head go, and publicly calling Heaslip a gouger with no evidence in some form of retaliation for Heaslip calling Burger a gouger. Sad really.[/b]

I didn't hear you saying any of this when the Lions were moaning their asses off. Mike Phillips and BOD were absolute pricks after the series, and POC was just as bad. (1.)

As for the gouging, who exactly made these claims? Do you know? It sounds like a farce to me, and it's got jack **** to do with our players.

Also, quite frankly, i wouldn't have clapped off the Irish either after what their media had to say about us in the build up. Gouger this, dirty that, thug this, hooligan that. (2.)
[/b][/quote]

I decided Sunday that I wasn't going to get into any of this argueing if or when it happened because it's pointless but here goes:

1. Yeah, I remember that. After the first test Phillips said they could have won and maybe should have won and some Saffers decided that he was whinging because he lost which was a bit daft because all he was saying was "we should have won it (but we blew it)" and not some great conspiracy against the glorious nation of South Africa with all of it's rugby splender.

You might have more of a point on the Heaslip and O'Driscoll thing in relation to complaining about Burger and now the IRFU complaining about the Heaslip citing. Difference is that every saw Burger stick his fingers in his eyes whereas nobody saw anything to do with Heaslip and Brussouw. And I don't think there'd be a complaint from the IRFU but (a) The usual procedure when something is pointed out to the citing commissioner is that you tell him and not the media and then the name comes out if there's an actual citing because you need evidence (new word for you) before you go tarnishing someone's career with that accusation, and (B) The Bokke management made 2 more accusations (though at least these were unnamed) that they end up dropping before the day was out. All seems a bit suspicious to me and not at all well handled and hence the IRFU complaining. Though I'd rather they'd let it go.

I don't get the compliant about O'Connell, maybe I've missed something and if you find me an interview then I'm happy to accept I'm wrong but the worst thing I remember him saying was either (a) P Divvy was acting like a spa. Which he was or (B) Our chances were dealt a blow by injuries (which they were) or © We should have won the second test before going on to tell the interview who asked "did the best team win?" - "ah, of course, the best team is the team that wins". Which is all very wrong.

Happy to be proved wrong on any of the above. Perhaps Gatland was complaining, but that's to be expected.

2. I was watching out for that in the Irish media. None of the words "gouger, dirty, hooligan, or thug" appeared in the (Irish) Times or the (Irish) Indipendant at any point. Nor the examiner

There have been references to when Burger gouged Fitzgerald, but none have called him 'a gouger', merely pointed out that he did gouge.

The Indipendant used the word "Bully" refering to the physical attitude rather than any type of bad attitude. They used the word physical alot. In Praise rather than anything other way. "The Boks are a physical side, Ireland will need to front up and improve on their breakdown performance against the Aussies" - That kind of thing.

My advice to you - Stop reading tabloids if that's where you're getting it.

I'll admit there having plenty of complaints about South Africa putting Heaslip's name out without any evidence. But guess what, they're right.

People don't use names w/o something to back it up. In any other profession it would fall foul of the Defamation Act.

And don't complain about us because your coach has a bad attitude.

And a few people are getting ahead of themselves about where Ireland are at. We don't have a tighthead. Out Loosehead isn't a top notch scrumager (yet). All our scrumhalves run hot and cold. We need a better inside centre...Wallace and D'Arcy are way behind the standard of the rest of the outside backs at the moment. And we don't have an out and out 7. For 40 minutes we were playing with 3 number 8s in the back row on Saturday.

Edit: Those smilies with sunglasses are meant to be the letter B in a bracket

Latest posts