• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2016 EOYT] Ireland vs. Canada (12/11/2016)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Ireland.png
attachment.php
Canada.png

Venue: Aviva Stadium
Time: 21:15 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Will the points difference here be less or more than NZ vs Italy? Canada did run Italy close in June but have injuries (e.g both their Ospreys) and simply can't afford that if they are to avoid a complete spanking.

reland Squad for Canada
Niyi Adeolukun (Connacht)*
Finlay Bealham (Buccaneers/Connacht)
Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster) c
Joey Carbery (Clontarf/Leinster)
Sean Cronin (St Marys/Leinster)
Ultan Dillane (Corinthians/Connacht)
Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)
Tadgh Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster)
Craig Gilroy (Ulster)
Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
Jamie Heaslip (Dublin University/Leinster) vc
Iain Henderson (Ballynahinch/Ulster)
Robbie Henshaw (Buccaneers/Leinster)
Billy Holland (Cork Constitution/Munster)*
Paddy Jackson (Dungannon/Ulster)
Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster)
Dan Leavy (UCD/Leinster)*
Kieran Marmion (Buccaneers/Connacht)
Luke Marshall (Ulster)
Jack McGrath (St Marys/Leinster)
Luke McGrath (UCD/Leinster)*
Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster)
Sean O'Brien (UCD/Leinster)
Jack O'Donoghue (UL Bohemians/Munster)*
Tiernan O'Halloran (Buccaneers/Connacht)
Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Jared Payne (Ulster)
Garry Ringrose (UCD/Leinster)*
Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
John Ryan (Cork Constitution/Munster)*
Jonathan Sexton (St Marys/Leinster)
CJ Stander (Munster)
Darren Sweetnam (Cork Constitution/Munster)*
Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster)
James Tracy (UCD/Leinster)*
Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)
Josh van der Flier (UCD/Leinster)
Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution/Munster)

We've been told here in Munster camp Kilcoyne, Earls, Ryan, Billy and Jack all have chance of cap. Sweetnam may be released back.

I'm presuming that Joe myst rest majority of lads from last weekend. Its bad enough recovering from game itself never mind factoring in the travel and readjusting time zones

We've been told here in Munster camp Kilcoyne, Earls, Ryan, Billy and Jack all have chance of cap. Sweetnam may be released back.

I'm presuming that Joe myst rest majority of lads from last weekend. Its bad enough recovering from game itself never mind factoring in the travel and readjusting time zones

And the sesh!

39 man squad. If we discount all those who started against New Zealand (and Josh van der Flier), we get down to 24 players. Assuming the bench last Saturday all start as do those who travelled, we could be left with a team like this:

O'Halloran, Gilroy, Ringrose, Marshall, Earls, Carbery, Marmion; Healy, Cronin, Bealham, Dillane, Holland, O'Mahony, O'Brien, O'Donoghue
Bench: Tracy, Kilcoyne, Ryan, Henderson, Leavy, McGrath, Jackson, Adeolukun/Sweetnam

Paddy Jackson could very easily start ahead of Joey Carbery. Dan Leavy is in great form but I suspect Joe Schmidt will want to get Peter O'Mahony and Sean O'Brien some game time. For the same reason Iain Henderson could easily start ahead of Billy Holland.

39 man squad. If we discount all those who started against New Zealand (and Josh van der Flier), we get down to 24 players. Assuming the bench last Saturday all start as do those who travelled, we could be left with a team like this:

O'Halloran, Gilroy, Ringrose, Marshall, Earls, Carbery, Marmion; Healy, Cronin, Bealham, Dillane, Holland, O'Mahony, O'Brien, O'Donoghue
Bench: Tracy, Kilcoyne, Ryan, Henderson, Leavy, McGrath, Jackson, Adeolukun/Sweetnam

Paddy Jackson could very easily start ahead of Joey Carbery. Dan Leavy is in great form but I suspect Joe Schmidt will want to get Peter O'Mahony and Sean O'Brien some game time. For the same reason Iain Henderson could easily start ahead of Billy Holland.

I think you're spot on there swapping Holland for Henderson though. I reckon Schmidt fancies giving Henderson a lash at NZ but he won't throw him in cold.

Paddy Jackson (Dungannon/Ulster)

That's got to be a mistake, Dungannon aren't a professional side surely, I played against them on an U16s tour and they were a two pitches and a shed in a field kind of club club..?

After such an auspicious debut Carberry must be worried its all downhill from here, if I was him I'd be thinking about retiring

Last edited:
That's got to be a mistake, Dungannon aren't a professional side surely, I played against them on an U16s tour and they were a two pitches and a shed in a field kind of club club..?

After such an auspicious debut Carberry must be worried its all downhill from here, if I was him I'd be thinking about retiring

Irish players can choose to be members of their, now amateur formerly semi-professional, club sides as well as their province. Purely a traditional exercise, its been well over ten years that a current international playedfor their club, the practice of playing for them while returning from injury has even stopped. The only pros in the league now are academy lads, Joey Carbery being the winning 10 last year.

Irish players can choose to be members of their, now amateur formerly semi-professional, club sides as well as their province. Purely a traditional exercise, its been well over ten years that a current international playedfor their club, the practice of playing for them while returning from injury has even stopped. The only pros in the league now are academy lads, Joey Carbery being the winning 10 last year.

Gotcha. Nice little bit of trivia there.

Yah most players are generally registered to their club, which is a big source of pride and advertising to the club, and they might play there the odd time if they lose form or are in need of game time badly, or when they reach the golden years. My club ain't had a pro in years and years now which is a bit sad. The AIL was once envisaged to be a near pro league, but that was a complete failure and the burden of player development falls to schools and then directly to academies, where it must be said the AIL does come in handy as the young guys play pretty physical rugby week in week out.
P.S Great team Snoop. Kilcoyne should be given a bit of time, he's been outrageously good recently. I'd almost give McGrath the Canada gig as we know what Marmion can and can't do as a player, and I don't think he has a future with Ireland. Very nippy player, great break and a good pack general, but his pass and kicking will likely never be international standard given the competition he's likely to have. Really think lads like Blade have really narrowed the distance with him at Connacht as well which is a shame and a half given how brightly he can play.

Last edited:

I think Holland will start with Henderson getting half an hour.
Henshaw may play a part too as he hasn't a whole lot of time this year

Ireland (v Canada):
15. Tiernan O'Halloran
14. Craig Gilroy
13. Garry Ringrose
12. Luke Marshall
11. Keith Earls
10. Paddy Jackson
9. Kieran Marmion

1. Cian Healy
2. Sean Cronin
3. Finlay Bealham
4. Ultan Dillane
5. Billy Holland
6. Peter O'Mahony (captain)
7. Sean O'Brien
8. Jack O'Donoghue

Replacements:
16. James Tracy
17. Dave Kilcoyne
18. John Ryan
19. Donnacha Ryan
20. Dan Leavy
21. Luke McGrath
22. Joey Carbery
23. Niyi Adeolokun

Need for Speed has been answered.

Ireland (v Canada):
15. Tiernan O'Halloran
14. Craig Gilroy
13. Garry Ringrose
12. Luke Marshall
11. Keith Earls
10. Paddy Jackson
9. Kieran Marmion

1. Cian Healy
2. Sean Cronin
3. Finlay Bealham
4. Ultan Dillane
5. Billy Holland
6. Peter O'Mahony (captain)
7. Sean O'Brien
8. Jack O'Donoghue

Replacements:
16. James Tracy
17. Dave Kilcoyne
18. John Ryan
19. Donnacha Ryan
20. Dan Leavy
21. Luke McGrath
22. Joey Carbery
23. Niyi Adeolokun

Need for Speed has been answered.

What time's this on, is it on UK TV? Can't wait to see this Gary Ringpiece fella I've heard so much about

What an Irish team. This could have alot of tries and I'm delighted for new caps.

7 potential debutants. Can't complain with that side. It looks well balanced. The only negative is theres no Henderson, which probably means he might not play any part in the november tests. Its best not to rush him back anyway.

Latest posts