• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RBS 6 Nations - England vs Wales - 25/02/2012, 16:00

From what I read, Roberts apparently was injured in the first 5 minutes but really didn't want to stop playing and tried to run it off.

Jenkins was very, very good not sure about his tackle stats though. Will he be able to carry on till 2015? I can't see a reason why not.

Saw some people saying that it wasn't advantage. The advantage came from the ruck which was about 3m out. The ball was passed out of the ruck, went across the field and Strettle went over the line. The try was inconclusive, but there was still an advantage being played so it should of been called back to the 5m line. But that is just the luck of the game I suppose, England had it with the Laidlaw no try (which I thought was a try!).

Jenkins was very, very good not sure about his tackle stats though. Will he be able to carry on till 2015? I can't see a reason why not.

He should do he will be what 34 then so it will be his last world cup just hope we get some young players up to a similar standard as we will miss him for sure when he goes.

He should do he will be what 34 then so it will be his last world cup just hope we get some young players up to a similar standard as we will miss him for sure when he goes.
Adam Jones as well be a big loss when he goes but you still have players like Rhys Gill coming through.

Adam Jones as well be a big loss when he goes but you still have players like Rhys Gill coming through.

I agree there Gill only left the Blues to due not being able to get in the team, I think Gill and Bevington have big futures but we will wait and see.

That is what I was thinking. It would be great if he can make it given that he will be playing at home for some games. Yet I think over the next few seasons Gats might want to be playing some decent cover.

I think looking back on this game, there was a lot of good and bad for both sides.
For England, Tuilagi and Barrit were a very strong midfield pairing who kept a tight ship throughout the game.
Also Farrel seems to be made of stern stuff, good all round game and certainly not fazed by the occasion.
The form of some players leave a lot to be desired though, Youngs and Ashton were awfull, and really need to be dropped for a couple of games to go back to their clubs.

For Wales, whenever some of the "names" have started to drop in form or have a quiet game, others seem to step in and lift things. Real challenge for places at the moment.
Still short on some class in some positions such as props and second row, but thats allways been the case. However with Rhys Gill and Craig Mitchell both playing well in England perhaps they are getting decent scrum coaching, maybe we could send a couple of 2nd rows up to Scotland so they could learn how to jump and catch.
Biggest disappointment for me was how easy it was for England to dictate pace of game. Priestland was not having such a good service from Phillips which made him seem worse, I think Lloyd williams may have speeded things up a bit there.

As regards the try and advantage not given, Scotland were deemed to have had enough of an advantage when their try was disallowed aginst England and did not have the penalty ?
And for the try itself, it looked like a try to me, but then again so did Ryan Jones` try against Ireland which the TMO was also asked Try yes or no ? and could not give it. Wales have suffered badly with injustices over the years, we got a couple back today. But was surprised North wasn`t yellow carded for slapping ball into touch.

He was quoted last night on Scrum V making 12 tackles and 0 misses.

I his body holds out he could well make 2015.

Saw some people saying that it wasn't advantage. The advantage came from the ruck which was about 3m out. The ball was passed out of the ruck, went across the field and Strettle went over the line. The try was inconclusive, but there was still an advantage being played so it should of been called back to the 5m line. But that is just the luck of the game I suppose, England had it with the Laidlaw no try (which I thought was a try!).

he couldn't go back to the advantage as the clock had reached 80 mins before Strettle had crossed the line therefore it was time up no side.i certainly wouldn't havve complained if the try was given.anyway was a cracker of a game and england certainly surprised me.SL is doing a great job.

he couldn't go back to the advantage as the clock had reached 80 mins before Strettle had crossed the line therefore it was time up no side.i certainly wouldn't havve complained if the try was given.anyway was a cracker of a game and england certainly surprised me.SL is doing a great job.
That only applies to knock-on advantage, for a penalty they would go back. Otherwise if a team was 2pts down after 80mins they could just commit a penalty and that'd be time up.

The ball isn't considered to have gone dead going back to a penalty and time continues - or if it isn't, there's plenty of refs making that mistake!

The ball isn't considered to have gone dead going back to a penalty and time continues - or if it isn't, there's plenty of refs making that mistake!

oh my bad then,anyway surely advantage was awarded by allowing play to go on and Strettle crossing the line.anyway shame that such a great game is being spoilt for some thinking what could have been

In the Daily telegraph Today, they got a ref to analayse Steve Walsh's handling of the last few minutes and
stated that the George North tap in and not playing adavantage were refereeing errors.

At least it someone with a bit of pull is stating the case and maybe it will wash that smug smile off Steve Walsh's face!

As a qualified referee I feel a bit two faced saying that, but I played for 32 years and in that time there were only a few refs
I ended up respecting.

In the Daily telegraph Today, they got a ref to analayse Steve Walsh's handling of the last few minutes and
stated that the George North tap in and not playing adavantage were refereeing errors.

At least it someone with a bit of pull is stating the case and maybe it will wash that smug smile off Steve Walsh's face!

As a qualified referee I feel a bit two faced saying that, but I played for 32 years and in that time there were only a few refs
I ended up respecting.

Indeed, saw that as well. He should of gone back to the advantage and the tap out by North should have been a penalty, but still England and Wales both put a good game on and the score is how it is so that is just the luck of the game! One thing that does annoy me in general is referees, it seems there is a lack of consistency and a lot of errors being made by referees. To give just one example, Sam Warburton gets red carded in RWC Semi final for a tackle, Bradley Davies gets a yellow for an off the ball tackle. I know this has been brought up a lot but it ties in with the topic, I think the lack of consistency really should be addressed.

But anyway, great game and well done for Wales for pulling out the win! I'm hoping they go on to win the grand slam with England coming second in the championship now! :)

A debate that was heard in work today was, 'Was it North's hand that first touched the ball before it went into touch?' (Basically asking if Strettle put a hand to the ball first before North did and therefore say that North could not have knocked it out deliberately) ... I had a look at iPlayer tonight and I can't make out the hands because it's so pixelated. I believe North put it out, wonder if anyone can make any sense of it with images clearer than that whats on my iPlayer.

oh my bad then,anyway surely advantage was awarded by allowing play to go on and Strettle crossing the line.anyway shame that such a great game is being spoilt for some thinking what could have been

This will always be the case, there will always be controversy after a rugby match but to me, that should never be allowed to interfere with what was - enjoy the good, forget the bad.

Indeed, saw that as well. He should of gone back to the advantage and the tap out by North should have been a penalty, but still England and Wales both put a good game on and the score is how it is so that is just the luck of the game! One thing that does annoy me in general is referees, it seems there is a lack of consistency and a lot of errors being made by referees. To give just one example, Sam Warburton gets red carded in RWC Semi final for a tackle, Bradley Davies gets a yellow for an off the ball tackle. I know this has been brought up a lot but it ties in with the topic, I think the lack of consistency really should be addressed.

But anyway, great game and well done for Wales for pulling out the win! I'm hoping they go on to win the grand slam with England coming second in the championship now! :)

By your logic though Walsh made the correct decision, because he was being consistent with what had happened in the Scotland v England game where the ref didn't come back for the advantage after a dissallowed try. Ok, that's tongue in cheek, but still a valid point.

Like many things in rugby, this could be debated to death, because many of the laws are open to interpretation. Some will say that England had enough advantage, some will say they didn't (this includes ref's), and both are correct really. As you say, consistency is all we ask for.

By your logic though Walsh made the correct decision, because he was being consistent with what had happened in the Scotland v England game where the ref didn't come back for the advantage after a dissallowed try. Ok, that's tongue in cheek, but still a valid point.

Like many things in rugby, this could be debated to death, because many of the laws are open to interpretation. Some will say that England had enough advantage, some will say they didn't (this includes ref's), and both are correct really. As you say, consistency is all we ask for.

yep good points,how about we discuss the positives for both teams. for england;Owen farrell,tuilagi and their defence.
for wales,to be put under that pressure and still win,the bench.very good players able to be called upon.

Latest posts