• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RBS 6 Nations - Scotland Vs England (04/02/2012 - 17:00)

oh and there is the small matter of the scottish players wanting to show an improvment after the world cup. Also when was the last time england won at murrayfield?

haha you foolish man quoting your stats. Yes, it was 2003-04, but in thattime we have only played you 3 times at murrayfield. You only won two of these, one was drawn. Oh the unassailable strength of Murrayfield!!

haha you foolish man quoting your stats. Yes, it was 2003-04, but in thattime we have only played you 3 times at murrayfield. You only won two of these, one was drawn. Oh the unassailable strength of Murrayfield!!

Also, England have as much reason to show improvement after the world cup. We had an official enquiry into the performance.

NB I am not saying Scotland wont' win, just that thsi idea that England will get spanked is very silly.

Stats are what you make 'em.

Since 1990 England have won 19. Scotland have won 4. Drawn 1. With all four of Scotlands wins being at Murrayfield.

So you could say that in the last twenty odd years England have been the dominant team having more wins at Murrayfield overall than the home team.

i didnt say england would get a spanking (they defintly wont if parks plays) but this is scotland best chance in a few years to give them one

i dont know..i can see real fireworks for this one (in scotlands favour), i think they will give the "new look" england team a real going over. p.s.i never liked statistics in college :p to make them valid one must do all sorts of complex tests on them to make them remotely valid

i dont know..i can see real fireworks for this one (in scotlands favour), i think they will give the "new look" england team a real going over. p.s.i never liked statistics in college :p to make them valid one must do all sorts of complex tests on them to make them remotely valid

Not sure how many test you need to do to say England have won more than Scotland in the last twenty years and beat them more times at Murrayfield
biggrin.gif

Then you ask how many times has the England team changed over that twenty years into a new look team.

as long as dan parks does not start we should get a decent game. Preferably laidlaw at 10, mainly because edinburgh score tries for fun and are second top points scorers in the league behind leinster, also whenever i have seen wier at 10 for glasgow he has never really done anthying special just consistant.

Edinburgh concede tries like they are a charity orginisation as well mind, if it weren't for Talei... well les just say I am glad AR has a few bulkier back-rowers to choose from :)

So happy I am going :D Wales game too! :)

Are we into the now traditional pre-tournament "write England off" mode already?

Are we into the now traditional pre-tournament "write England off" mode already?

What utter nonsense.

There is no specified time when 'England are to be written off. It only gathers momentum towards and after their fixtures, the feeling has always and forever will remain present!

And all those statistics about England winning just go to show that they raise their game against us. Fact. End of story.

I think it's never a good idea to write England off, but I do think that Scotland, Wales and Ireland overachieve against the english, at least lately. Ireland last year and Scotland the year before are good examples; everyone gave England as a sure winner both times.

So, normally, given that both are in porr form and it's being played in Murrayfield, I'd give 60/40 to England or something like that, but given what I said before I'd invert the odds.

PS: yes, it's a conclusion drawn from olny a few games, but you do get the feeling that for those three sides beating England is considered (almost) better than winning the 6N while losing to England.

As an Englishman resident in Jockland I'm not looking forward to this one......

England may well be found wanting for lack of experience and cohesion. Picking en masse the midfield from a club side who, generally, kick the ball up in the air and run after it doesn't bode too well either. The locals will appreciate such a style of play though, as that seems to have been Scotland's prime attacking move for as long as I can remember.

I'm not usually a betting man but a Scotland win at 13/8 looks a tempting punt as does 16/1 for no tries being scored.

The one thing I'm fairly sure of is that it'll be a dreadful game of rugby. :(

I think it's never a good idea to write England off, but I do think that Scotland, Wales and Ireland overachieve against the english, at least lately. Ireland last year and Scotland the year before are good examples; everyone gave England as a sure winner both times.

So, normally, given that both are in porr form and it's being played in Murrayfield, I'd give 60/40 to England or something like that, but given what I said before I'd invert the odds.

PS: yes, it's a conclusion drawn from olny a few games, but you do get the feeling that for those three sides beating England is considered (almost) better than winning the 6N while losing to England.

The reason the celtic teams tend to over achieve against England because we are not very well liked. The whole Andy Murray anyone but England thing.

Last edited:
This is a tricky one... Scotland look promising and as always they have "potential", The likes of Edinburgh is doing really well in the Heineken cup, England have a young inexperienced team and haven't actually won in Murrayfield for nearly 8years now! But even though England had a terrible world cup campaign and the English rugby team's name was dragged through the mud, I think they'll have something to prove this 6 Nations and won't be taking any prisoners! I don't think England should be underestimated.My head says Scotland but my heart says England*:)

highly doubt Scotland will win this year, there's no real finisher and midfield doesn't look as if it has hte quality to cope... but next year with visser and laidlaw id say then there is a serious chance Scotland will beat on of the bigger better teams

scotland have just as much to prove after a just dissapointing world cu. Imagine the uproar in england if they went out to the scots in the world cup :D . Also i think laidlaw should start 10, because he is a solid goal kicker and gets the back moving and involves the winger as much as possible (visser prime example from weekend). Another reason for not starting weir is that he look just like a young dan parks

Also edinburgh are second top point scorers in the league, behind leinster we just leek tries like theirs no tomorrow so AR should choose the whole edinburgh backline

Last edited:
The whole Edinburgh backline?

Mossy has retired, Visser not eligible, Brown a little raw (better than Mossy though), Thompson... had his chances.

Not the whole backline, Blair's form has come into being the last few games (as in he now only takes one step before passing), whilst Cusiter has teetered off a little, so I would say give the half-Back combo a chance, and maybe Lee Jones and de Luca a chance (given that niether King nor Scott are in the senior squad, which I think they should be of course)

Stuart Hogg has looked a fantastic prospect this season, can't ignore him. Either 13 with Ramont at 15, or Hogg at 15 with de Luca/ Ansbro at outside centre.

Problem is with AR's 'evolution not revolution' view on his selections this season.

Some news from Andy Robinson

http://www.scotsman.com/the-scotsma...entant_andy_robinson_1_2075296?commentspage=0

Don't read the commens, you could hear me cringe whilst reading them :/

Last edited:
surly scott will be called up after the shingler affair

Hopefully, but seeing as Tom Ryder and John Welsh have already been called up to replace/ cover Fraser McKenzie and Dickinson, you would have thought that would have been done by now.

Mind that the case isn't over in the SRU's eyes, they are making an appeal 'but require time to gather the extraordinary amount of documentation and so forth...'

They drop him now and then the case is basically closed.

Latest posts