• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: England - Romania (24-09-2011, 18:00)

Both played really well today, having two good tens is hardly a bad position to be in. I thought Wilkinsons tactical kicking edged floods today tho, and to be honest I think they took him off to save him rather than to have the 2 compete with eachother.

I thought Flood played better today. I wouldn't mind starting him against Scotland but, like Olyy said, be prepared to pull him off if the pressure gets to him.

Shaw should have started ahead of Deacon today.

I was pleased with that, showed we have some of the players to win in 2015, if the setup is good.

A few thoughts from the ground:

- Tuilagi looks really good - he runs exceptional lines at times. If he had the slightest amount of creativity inside him he probably would have scored a couple more tries too, as he often ran himself into a gap only for Tindell to completely ignore him!

- The Romanian team looked incredibly unfit. From around the 20-minute mark the majority of there forward pack were just slowly walking around the field. Because of this England always had huge numbers out wide, which they generally exploited pretty well. One particular try stood out to me (can't remember if it was Cueto's third or Ashton's 1st) when England made a small break from inside their own half and 5 Romania forwards basically just stood in the same place and watched as England swept 60-odd metres to score. It took 2-3 phases too, so if they had simply jogged back into the defensive line they possibly could have stopped the try.

-Ben Youngs is very sharp.

-The Romanian fullback was hopeless - if England broke the line it was a certain try such was his lack of defensive ability. I was more impressed with the Romanian 12 and 8 though.

-Romania's negative attitude of taking shots at goal when they were behind by 40 points confused me greatly. They weren't even getting the kicks over, and surely they would benefit more by practicing an attacking lineout rather than watching their kicker practicing (missing) shots at goal. Luckily their attitude did change when Tincu came on.

Latest posts