• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC Quarter Final: All Blacks - Argentina (09-10-2011, 20:30)

Well Georgia held out Argentina until the very end. This could be an 80pt thumping.

Well Georgia held out Argentina until the very end. This could be an 80pt thumping.

No, it won't be an 80 point thumping. I don't see Los Pumas keeping it very close but we won't just brush them aside effortlessly.

Ok, I'm done. Thought there might be some substantive debate but doesn't look like it. And this is the wrong place for it anyway. My bad.

So, those Argies. How many times have they beaten us.......?

Only a tie at Ferro in the 80's.

Few chances to win ours, for sure.

Very dismissive of your part at the "Argies". That legacy weighs on your shoulders with respect to its history, should cure it.

More respect for the "Argies", "Sudacas" or "Latin Americans."

PD: All Blacks, best team ever. Just like Barcelona in football.

PD2: Los Pumas, equipo con más huevos en la historia. Sólo como Los Pumas.

i m looking foward to se ledesma´s face during the haka,

there´s going to be a class of steem, sense of belonging and guts on sunday given by los pumas.

proud to be an "argie"

I don't have any theory. Like I said I honestly don't know why this happened and I don't expect to ever know. I am with you laughing at any conspiracy theories. Why it happened I don't know. I guess the most likely and least objectionable theory is that a young referee got put onto a massive stage too early in his career and he was completely overwhelmed by the occasion. But like I said, I just don't know.

What actually happened though is there for all to see. New Zealand were screwed hard. Without lube.

New Zealand dominated the match - the stats hugely favoured us. We dominated the set pieces. We dominated posession. We dominated territory.

France defended superbly though - no doubt about it. All credit to them for what they did.

But the refereeing was not fair. Not even close.

There were several key decisions in the match that are worth mentioning:
1) The yellow card on Luke McAllister. If this was all there was to it then we wouldn't be having this conversation. The decision was marginal at best. I would describe the decision as very harsh. France scored a try thanks to numbers in the backline while we were down to 14.
2) The forward pass for the last try. I doubt anyone disputes this and if you do then discussion is pointless.
3) Ali Williams went over for a try in the corner while advantage was being played. The try was subsequently disallowed but the ref did not go back and award the penalty as he should have.
4) The one drop goal attempt also occurred while advantage was being played but the penalty was not awarded when the droppie missed. He only went for goal because of the advantage - this was obvious.

If any one of these 'mistakes' did not happen then we would have won (in all likelihood)

neuralizer.jpg

What's the injury count for Argentina? I've heard about Fernandez Lobbe, Roncero, Ledesma and Leguizamon, but I don't know who's ruled out for this match (surely JMFL)

Is the term "Argie" derogatory in some way? It certainly isn't meant that way. It's no different to calling an Australian and Aussie. Will stop though if it is offensive.

Well , firts of all , AB are favourites at 95% to me. But that doesn´t mean that it´s going to be an easy ride . I´m confident whit my countrymates . Games last 80 minutes , and if we have to loose by 40 points, it is ok, only if AB plays at their 100% . AB playing at a 80 % because they think it is an esay match will be a lack of respect .

Argentina exist,( remember the flag in rwc 2007?) we are not a forgotten country in the end of the world . We´ve made up to qf in 1999 , defined pool in 2003 by only 1 point , 3rd place in 2007 whit an amateur rugby structure and whit a 5% budget of what England , France, Australia , SA , or NZ have from the IRB . All that shows the heart, the compromise and the pride to play for the Pumas.

Proud to be an Argie, proud to be represented by them . Proud to play against AB in a QF , that means a lot for us , and hope that 4N starting next year make us stronger.

Best Regards to all

Martin

"Is the term "Argie" derogatory in some way? It certainly isn't meant that way. It's no different to calling an Australian and Aussie. Will stop though if it is offensive. "

THe first time i ´ve heard the term Argie was in 1982 , by the Malvinas war , when the englands were talking about us, and in some way it was derogatory . Maybe younger argentinians don´t make the same relation whit the term, and take it more "friendly" . THat´s how i fell about that , but it doesn´t mean that all should feel this way.

Martin

Last edited:
Is the term "Argie" derogatory in some way? It certainly isn't meant that way. It's no different to calling an Australian and Aussie. Will stop though if it is offensive.

I feel that way about calling someone from Pakistan a 'Paki' just like people call us British 'Brits'.

THe first time i ´ve heard the term Argie was in 1982 , by the Malvinas war ...

*COUGH* Falklands...

"*COUGH* Falklands..."

it is sad to be focused only on " malvinas/falklands " , it was just an historic reference for the use of a term , i think i wrote a lot more interesting things about rugby ...

Martin

It is easy to see that you do not have a member of your family buried there and can not visit his grave all the times you need , and 29 years is a lot of time to have an open wound and can not make it heal

They are called Malvinas.

I was thinking.... since the WC started there have been massive pressure on NZ to win/Perform etc... a lot of that weight has been on Dan Carter and Mccaw... now Carter is out... and most of the weight have been shifted to Slade... Everyone is looking to him to get the us through... that is massive pressure... cuz everyone is comparing him to carter... i'm sure lots of teams are targeting him now... to put him under pressure as they see him as a weakness... I hope GH has taken note of this... personally I will start Cowan and Slade with Weepu on the bench... i'm just glad that GH has played Slade more often in this WC to get him into some sort of form... or atleast build some sort of Momentum... luckily for the AB they have had a long discussion about "what-if" DC had an injury etc... i have only 1 problem with slade... in that he is a bit too predictable... where DC always keeps you guessing... is he gonna pass/ run or kick... cuz DC doesn't just run when there is a hole... Slade also like to through the wild intercept pass and that is what SA lives on...if they manage to beat AUS... that is my only concern...

any idea on the AB match day 22???

It is easy to see that you do not have a member of your family buried there and can not visit his grave all the times you need , and 29 years is a lot of time to have an open wound and can not make it heal

They are called Malvinas.

Our Government offered to deliver your fighting brave home, your Gov. refused and insisted they stay on the Falklands. But lets stop this here before it blows all out of proportion and get back to rugby. However there is a topic on the Falklands in the 'off-topic' section if you want to continue.

Our Government offered to deliver your fighting brave home, your Gov. refused and insisted they stay on the Falklands. But lets stop this here before it blows all out of proportion and get back to rugby. However there is a topic on the Falklands in the 'off-topic' section if you want to continue.

Last post about this : first of all , our tradition is to leave our casualties were the battle was. ( the same whit the Belgrano cruiser , the casualties remain there even if the ship is found) And was a sign of respect of your gov. to agree on that.
Second is hard to have your father back dead from a war when he was a pilot and he was downed by AA. there was nothing much of his plane to recover...
And third : as i said before , i was making reference to an historic event, and you could add what you want being polite, but you choose te be agressive and sarcastic ( *COUGH* Falklands...).

As i said before. Proud to be an ARGIE.

End of discussion

Last edited:
While I personally feel that I would rather have Weepu at 10 than Slade, this is how I would select the half backs for the quarterfinal against Argentina:

9: Ellis
10: Slade
20: Cowan
22: Weepu

Bring on Weepu early in the second half if the match situation allows (it hopefully should), regardless of how Slade is performing at the time. We know Weepu is a reliable option at scrum half so we don't need to have him try to prove that in a match.

If we do that, and win the match, then hopefully we'll have some answers as to how to approach selection for the semifinal.

As an AB's supporter I'm quite confident about this match, though I'm sure the AB's won't make the mistake of thinking about the semi-final before this match is over (well at least I hope so this time!).

The AB's may have lost Carter, but Argentina has been far more affected by injuries than than the AB's (as has been mentioned previously). The biggest selection issues for the AB's revolve around the who will start at 9 and 10 - personally I'd start Weepu and Slade, but I would be equally happy with Cowan and Weepu (assuming Cowan's passing is substantially better than against Canada). The rest of the team largely picks itself - I'd like to see Hore starting a hooker, but I suspect Mealamu will start, while I'd also prefer Boric on the bench (but I suspect Ali Williams will be there).

Latest posts