• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC Quarter Final: All Blacks - Argentina (09-10-2011, 20:30)

Yeah, welcome :) good to see some Argentinians on here leading up to next years four nations....is that what its being called? do we know?

Thanks guys, we must grow in rugby in all aspects, even in forums... haha

@jabby I think they are not going to call it four nations, as I have read. It's a pity, I like that name. Anyway, proud to play with SH nations.

What about my opinion? Slow game, perfect kicking... ab's mistakes... Not to mention the line, scrum haha but the points I wrote firstly, are the key, in my opinion, to the... miracle? In this moments is when I remember that match against England...

What about my opinion? Slow game, perfect kicking... ab's mistakes... Not to mention the line, scrum haha but the points I wrote firstly, are the key, in my opinion, to the... miracle? In this moments is when I remember that match against England...

Well, firstly the Pumas need someone who can actually kick well;)
Welcome to the forum, don't worry about your English it's very good:)

Thanks guys, we must grow in rugby in all aspects, even in forums... haha

@jabby I think they are not going to call it four nations, as I have read. It's a pity, I like that name. Anyway, proud to play with SH nations.

I dont think you can make a game plan around hopeing the other team makes some mistakes but yes, i'm sure that would help, canadas second try for example, one (big) mistake and they were in

I am really wondering what they are going to call it now, i guess they know by now but haven't said anything that might ditract from the WC?

My AB's team, #1 selection

1, Woodcock
2, Hore
3, Owen Franks
4, Thorn
5, Whitelock
6, Kaino
7, McCaw
8, Read
9, Weepu
10, Slade
11, Dagg,
12, Nonu
13, Smith
14, Kahui
15, Mills

16, Mealamu. 17, Ben Franks. 18, Boric. 19, Ali Williams. 20, Elis. 21, Cruden. 22, Sonny Bill Williams

I like the two locks on the bench thing, Whitelock and Boric, Williams are all adequate Flanker cover, Whitelock is very fast around the field and Boric is one of the most reliable defenders in the squad. Kaino can cover 8. In fact the AB's pack worked well with all 4 locks on the field against Canada.

If A loosie is selected on the bench I hope it's Vito, his performance and stats against Canada were better than anything Thomson has produced against anyone this year and Vito is less likely to give away stupid penalties.

With Carter out I see Mills experience as critical, pushing Dagg to the left wing, IMO he looks better on the left than right. Kahui comes back, he's good either side so would be my right wing.

All Blacks by 20+ points.

i think this will be quite a close, physical battle ... it will be a lot closer than many people on here have indicated.

... it's definitely not a given that the All Blacks will win it ... in fact, i'm sure that they aren't (the ABs) approaching the game like that

... it will probably be a lot closer than the final score will suggest - i'll predict a narrow win to the AB's (12-18 points) with the points coming from the 60th minute onwards.

As for semi finals etc ... anyone talking about those is getting way ahead of themselves - lets see which teams make it through this weekend, and what players they have fit to play

i think this will be quite a close, physical battle ... it will be a lot closer than many people on here have indicated.

... it's definitely not a given that the All Blacks will win it ... in fact, i'm sure that they aren't (the ABs) approaching the game like that

... it will probably be a lot closer than the final score will suggest - i'll predict a narrow win to the AB's (12-18 points) with the points coming from the 60th minute onwards.

As for semi finals etc ... anyone talking about those is getting way ahead of themselves - lets see which teams make it through this weekend, and what players they have fit to play

Although I agree this could be a potential banana skin match for the AB's.
The All Blacks would have to be well below par and Argentina would have to be amazing to win.

If we play well, even with Argentina playing well the margin will be no less than 20 points.
Our forward pack is too strong for even Argentina, our backs are still very good.

Argentina are more depleted than us, we only have one man out.

If we come within 10 points of losing something has gone wrong.

Although I agree this could be a potential banana skin match for the AB's.
The All Blacks would have to be well below par and Argentina would have to be amazing to win.

If we play well, even with Argentina playing well the margin will be no less than 20 points.
Our forward pack is too strong for even Argentina, our backs are still very good.

Argentina are more depleted than us, we only have one man out.

If we come within 10 points of losing something has gone wrong.

Yes, Argentina is more depleted, but they have been playing well, and have already had to play eliminations type rugby, to get to the quarter finals ...they are already match hardened.

As long as the All Blacks win by what ever margin, that's the ONLY thing that will matter in the long run.

... more things will have gone right than wrong, if that happens anyway

... we aren't going to get any more points for scoring lots of tries, so why put the pressure on them by implying it's a failure if they don't win by more than 10?

... it's not going to matter how we score, or how many we score from here on in, just so long as we score more than the opposition.

one thing i havent heard anyone suggest

is there a place for zac on the bench IF you have Kahui on the left wing? kahui can cover any other position bar maybe fullback but with Jane on the other side (in my team) you have that fullabck cover

until that canada game i wasn't expecting to see zac again and not too worried but he really is a lethal finisher and with guys like smith dagg and nonu breaking the line that could be a huge asset late in the game with a tired oposition

I also think dagg needs to start at fullback, he just seems SOOOO much more dangerous there than on the wing and jane has been in great form in the black jersey

Yes, Argentina is more depleted, but they have been playing well, and have already had to play eliminations type rugby, to get to the quarter finals ...they are already match hardened.

As long as the All Blacks win by what ever margin, that's the ONLY thing that will matter in the long run.

... we aren't going to get any more points for scoring lots of tries, so why put the pressure on them by implying it's a failure if they don't win by more than 10?

... it's not going to matter how we score, or how many we score from here on in, just so long as we score more than the opposition.

I didn't say it was a failure, I was implying that we would not have played well if we only win by 10 points.
Argentina really shouldn't be a threat to us in our own backyard at our strong hold.

We are a team capable of putting a lot of points on Argentina, we should put a lot of points on them.
They will have put pressure on themselves to put a good performance on in every game from here on out.
Winning by 10 wont be a good performance, one of SA or Aus will be licking their lips if we only win by 10.

Argentina were average in Pool Play

Last edited:

This, winning above everything.

flag my idea, Zac just limped out of training so i doubt they will play him

winning is everything, that is the biggest lesson we needed to learn

Argentina are paying $1.95 for a +28.5 point head start at the NZ TAB.

If your so confident it will be close than cash up. I'm not so sure I think that sounds pretty risky and about good odds.

Argentina aren't a threat, I don't think we need to worry we will win. Most probably convincingly.

Edit Don't try to bring previous world cup's in to the equation, stop being pessimistic.
Henry being so great should have this covered.

Last edited:
i guess a more interesting questio is what do people think GH thinks is his first xv?

blackline wise i would say

weepu
slade
kahui
nonu
smith
jane
dagg

No Nonu?
You have to be kidding.
Not taking anything away from any other midfielders, but Nonu has been the best back at the Cup

You mean, without the trophies, aight?

Ja. No siempre los mejores son los ganadores. Ésa es mi opinión. En los historiales entre equipos, All Blacks les llevan ventaja a Wallabies y Sprinboks, por ejemplo. Algunas derrotas en Copas del Mundo no deterioran, a mi entender, la historia de Nueva Zelanda. igual entiendo el comentario como un chiste pero me veo obligado a contestar.

Saludos, compatriota! Buena suerte el domingo!

Trans: Ja. Not always the best ones are the winners. That's my opinion. In the history between teams, the All Blacks has more victories over Wallabies & Sprinboks, for example. Some defeats in World Cups do not deteriorate, in my opinion, the history of New Zeland. As I understand the comment as a joke but I am compelled to answer.

Greetings, fellow! Good luck on Sunday!

I didn't say it was a failure, I was implying that we would not have played well if we only win by 10 points.
Argentina really shouldn't be a threat to us in our own backyard at our strong hold.

... yes, well it's knock out from here on in isn't it ... maybe if the All Blacks won by 10 points, it might indicate that the Pumas will have played well, and that they are a better team than some people are suggesting, rather than the All Blacks playing poorly.

We are a team capable of putting a lot of points on Argentina, we should put a lot of points on them.
They will have put pressure on themselves to put a good performance on in every game from here on out.
Winning by 10 wont be a good performance, one of SA or Aus will be licking their lips if we only win by 10.

Argentina were average in Pool Play

I'm sure the All Blacks are a team that could POTENTIALLY put a lot of points on a number of sides, and i'm not advocating that they accept mediocre performances, merely that game margins tend to tighten up a bit at the business end of the tournament, and that talk of large margins IMO, aren't likely to happen.

... as for whether it's a good performance or not, it doesn't matter, providing its a win (and that's by no means a foregone conclusion) ... the winning teams have a week to address any playing issues that need addressing.

... Australia and South Africa have their own worries, not the least, that only one can progress to the next stage, and I seriously doubt that they'll be licking their lips at the prospect of playing the ABs (if they get through) regardless of what the final margin may be.

... I don't agree that Argentina were average in pool play either ... they probably should have won their match against England, they closed out Scotland in atrocious whether conditions, and they played well against Georgia and Romania, when you compare how England and Scotland did against those teams.

If your so confident it will be close than cash up. I'm not so sure I think that sounds pretty risky and about good odds.

Argentina aren't a threat, I don't think we need to worry we will win. Most probably convincingly.

Edit Don't try to bring previous world cup's in to the equation, stop being pessimistic.

I'll be just as happy as the next All Black fan if they win by a large margin, and I don't see how predicting an All Black win by 12 - 18 points is being pessimistic, it's merely acknowledging that Argentina, and Quarter finals rugby, are a step up from what the ABs have faced in this tournament previously.

... If I had the cash, and I was in NZ, i'd probably take those odds, but, whether i'm right or you're right, won't matter as far as i'm concerned ... either way, the ABs will be in the semifinals

It's good to be confident but that's what happened to us the last RWC. We got too confident and had our minds on the final before we even got through the Quarter Finals. Every team is a threat from here on and the All Blacks need to bring their A game no matter who they're up against. If we think we can let our foot off the accelerator that'll be when we lose. I know we'll do good but I don't want to be over confident like last time and get shattered all over again for another 4 years

justanargie said:
P.d: "Argie" is not an aggressive term, look at my nick. Even more, there is a big flag that appears in test matches that says "Argie Bargy". I guess, is that kind of nicknames that supporters get proud with the time. For instance in Argentina, river fans used to call "Bosteros" (bosta = horse ****) to Boca Fans in a derogatory term as first and now we are proud of it; yeah I´m bostero and argie!

My reply:

Argie, sí es ofensivo. Nosotros, los argentinos no tenemos que olvidar la historia y la historia nos dice que el término fue usado por los ingleses en la Guerra de Malvinas, despectivamente.

Yo, como argentino, no olvido y sí, miro hacia atrás para poder caminar hacia adelante.

Igual, cada uno toma el término como quiere. Yo lo siento como una ofensa.
PD: lo de Bostero nace como una broma, folclore futbolístico, como lo de Gallina. Nada que ver con una guerra...

Trans: Argie, it is offensive. We Argentines do not have to forget history and history tells us that the term was used by the British in the Malvinas War, contemptuously.

I, like Argentina, do not forget and yes, I look back to walk forward. Still, each one takes the term as you want. I feel like an insult.

PD: The term Bostero was born as a joke, it's football folklore, as Gallina's. Nothing to do with a war ...

It's good to be confident but that's what happened to us the last RWC. We got too confident and had our minds on the final before we even got through the Quarter Finals. Every team is a threat from here on and the All Blacks need to bring their A game no matter who they're up against. If we think we can let our foot off the accelerator that'll be when we lose. I know we'll do good but I don't want to be over confident like last time and get shattered all over again for another 4 years

I can be as confident as I like I'm not the one playing, and have no bearing on the result.
I am certain that the AB's aren't taking them likely, I know that they want to make a statement.

The French loss to me only makes me more confident. This AB's team is going to do the damage, they will not give Argentina a sniff. The game will never be close.

Shaggy I guess your team isn't going to contain 8 All Blacks this round? haha

I'm telling you, BACK BLACK!!!

*Shaggy England also killed Georgia and Romania. Argentina struggled to get past Georgia

Latest posts