• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool C] Round 1 - England vs. Tonga (22/09/2019)

Never looked like losing, never even looked like conceding, but that was crap.
Scrum just about held up with first choice and then collapsed with 2nd choice.
Decision across the park was poor,
Handling terrible,

Hopefully we've got that out of our system and can get our heads in the game now, but who knows
Hopefully can put a lot of the attacking issues to bed next week against the USA.

Don't know how we got so rusty since the Ireland match though...

That was a good first hit out for England.

Made hard work of it and handling let them down at times. Very strong in defence and dealt with strong and fast Tongan runners, kicking game pretty good too.

They'll be much better for that anyway, took the bonus point and got out with no injuries.

Agreed but when we're attacking off loose play, or first phase his ability to come into the line and assist is better. Better than Brown by miles in that aspect, but not as full-back like in others.

Was watching the 6n highlights this week. Daly involved in so many of our scores

Yeah I find him very similar to Le Roux when playing at FB.

Agreed but when we're attacking off loose play, or first phase his ability to come into the line and assist is better. Better than Brown by miles in that aspect, but not as full-back like in others.

Was watching the 6n highlights this week. Daly involved in so many of our scores
Yes, this is what I mean, he is extremely talented but perhaps is trying too hard to find the highlight reel.

If he just concentrated on being consistent he could be our answer to BB.

Positives:
Defence - another game with no tries conceded
controlled possession
Subs look good - Ludlum in particular impressed me again
good lineout contesting
No injuries

Negatives:
Not composed enough
Initially discipline bad again
potato-level handling
Scrum struggled more than it ever did in warm-ups
Meh

How the hell did Woodward win a world cup? He seems utterly delusional and clueless when discussing games.

I think we were all expecting a statement from England in that first game to indicate we were contenders. I think it's just a matter of treating it as it is. Not a great performance to indicate anything, but a lot to improve on. 5 points and no injuries afaik. Move onto USA 5 points again and then hope big improvement by the time we face France.

Yeah I find him very similar to Le Roux when playing at FB.
No where near the potential but all England needed to do, happy that Tonga didn't get ripped a new one too. As frustrated as you English have been with today I would be more than happy to take a similar performance and BP result vs Georgia tomorrow.

Watson looked dangerous, Manu is from another planet and I'm sure the other usual suspects will find they're feet in time for the Tier 1 Gauntlet of Death you'll be facing in a couple of weeks.

Some of us are content, just some seem to want an immaculate performance and put 100 points on Tonga for no other reason than to enter a Willy waving competition with the ABs.

He had Vickery, Johnson, Dallaglio, Back, Hill, Dawson, Wilko, Greenwood and Robinson. Great players help a hella of a lot.
Aye, he had an exceptional crop of players and was sort of right place right time in terms of the rugby landscape to oversee huge changes in the way the sport/team was run.
He basically presided over the side going from amateur to pro, upping/implementing the analysis, physio, sports psychology, strength and conditioning etc. aspects of the game

Aye, he had an exceptional crop of players and was sort of right place right time in terms of the rugby landscape to oversee huge changes in the way the sport/team was run.
He basically presided over the side going from amateur to pro, upping/implementing the analysis, physio, sports psychology, strength and conditioning etc. aspects of the game

That's exactly it.

His actual "rugby intellect" (particularly now that he's not having to watch it in order to select players) is well below standard for someone who's there as an "expert".
It's like having Ken Shamrock or someone as an MMA analyst.

How the hell did Woodward win a world cup? He seems utterly delusional and clueless when discussing games.
Well thank your lucky stars...I'm having to listen to the drivel from Phil Bloody Kearns AND Stuart effing Barnes, not least that they keep going on about how much it means for Tuilagi to play against his homeland Tonga. Barnes instead of correcting them and saying it's actually Samoa has doubled down and said some shite about his Tongan brothers. SO, I'd take Woodward any day, thanks.

Not a great game frankly, but got the bonus point so job done I suppose.

If you listen to Jonno and Dayglo when they're watching back the 2003 cup final (on World Rugby's YouTube) they make it clear the management had no attacking structures and instead focussed on fitness + handling and the like. Basically the players seem to have been that good to do it without these essential things, little surprise SCW moved on not too long after and it's taken this long to repair/build an international blueprint(systems) for the players.

Well thank your lucky stars...I'm having to listen to the drivel from Phil Bloody Kearns AND Stuart effing Barnes, not least that they keep going on about how much it means for Tuilagi to play against his homeland Tonga. Barnes instead of correcting them and saying it's actually Samoa has doubled down and said some shite about his Tongan brothers. SO, I'd take Woodward any day, thanks.

Not a great game frankly, but got the bonus point so job done I suppose.

Having Monye at the game was a breath of fresh air.

Stuart Barnes is useless, his bath ale beer tasted like ****. His rugby analysis is so embarrassing.

Sorry. He grinds me gears way more than most.

Latest posts