• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023 SF2] England vs South Africa (21/10/2023)

Really says it all about the mentality of the England coaching, Jamie George in all likelihood the single most important player to England and his minutes are off the charts.

Really says it all about the mentality of the England coaching, Jamie George in all likelihood the single most important player to England and his minutes are off the charts.
We have to have a qualified hooker on the bench....we dont have a trusted one, therefore we have an 80 min player and a emergency back up.

I dont agree with it. We should have rested George where we could and not started him vs Samoa, but post WC i imagine Dan will become first choice with George back up, then phased out. Right now its right to keep playing George. Just means we have 22 players and a fwd injury cover only at 16 unfortunatly.

Nope, complaining about Saffers' cynical cheating slowing down games with fake injury breaks and abuse of the HIA protocol.
Plus traffic lights, the "medic" cheerleader, "water breaks", ref abusing videos. If there's some bullshit to exploit, it's exploited. Absolutely sick of it.

Post WC i imagine Dan will become first choice with George back up, then phased out. Right now its right to keep playing George. Just means we have 22 players and a fwd injury cover only at 16 unfortunatly.
And who the hell will be at 16 ? It's easily the most short sighted that Smarmy Buttwitch has been in any position and when you then consider wing, centre, no. 8 and tighthead that's a damning indictment.

We have to have a qualified hooker on the bench....we dont have a trusted one, therefore we have an 80 min player and a emergency back up.

I dont agree with it. We should have rested George where we could and not started him vs Samoa, but post WC i imagine Dan will become first choice with George back up, then phased out. Right now its right to keep playing George. Just means we have 22 players and a fwd injury cover only at 16 unfortunatly.
If Dan does get on and shown up, I hope the media and fans show some sympathy it's a huge ask brining him in against the most physical pack in world with FA game time.

I think the key for England is to repet the first 30 minutes of France in the last match: avoid contact as much as they can and kick the ball behind the SA línes to make them going backwards in the field

I think the key for England is to repet the first 30 minutes of France in the last match: avoid contact as much as they can and kick the ball behind the SA línes to make them going backwards in the field
Ja, I can see us making the final in spite of that but just and losing if NZ pick up on it. The key is the varied kicking without looking up the sideline.

If Dan does get on and shown up, I hope the media and fans show some sympathy it's a huge ask brining him in against the most physical pack in world with FA game time.
If Dan goes on and messes up lineouts or in the loose, id blame SB for not getting him gametime and expecting him to be big game ready.

And who the hell will be at 16 ? It's easily the most short sighted that Smarmy Buttwitch has been in any position and when you then consider wing, centre, no. 8 and tighthead that's a damning indictment.
I think Borthwick 100% deserves criticism for his selections at wing and 8. Centre is a little more debatable as there are few outstanding candidates with any experience - Slade (who should have been in the squad) is really the only one. We have the likes of Kelly and Atkinson to add into the mix post RWC but either would have been a risk for this tournament.

Is the hooker situation really Borthwick's fault though? He definitely could have done a better job of managing George's minutes or giving Walker some more game time. However, I'd lay the lack of any experienced depth squarely at Eddie's door. Considering how injury prone LCD has always been, it's mad that we never gave a third choice any real time. McGuigan is the biggest head scratcher for me. Consistently excellent and consistently overlooked … instead we ****** about with a token cap here and there for Walker, Dunn, Langdon and Dolly.

If anything Dan has been a bold selection by Borthwick that deserves a bit of credit IMO.

As i don't suffer stockholm syndrome, for the first time in my life, i will support England.

God save your gracious King.

Edit : even if we know how perfid english can be.

Last edited:
I think Borthwick 100% deserves criticism for his selections at wing and 8. Centre is a little more debatable as there are few outstanding candidates with any experience - Slade (who should have been in the squad) is really the only one. We have the likes of Kelly and Atkinson to add into the mix post RWC but either would have been a risk for this tournament.

Is the hooker situation really Borthwick's fault though? He definitely could have done a better job of managing George's minutes or giving Walker some more game time. However, I'd lay the lack of any experienced depth squarely at Eddie's door. Considering how injury prone LCD has always been, it's mad that we never gave a third choice any real time. McGuigan is the biggest head scratcher for me. Consistently excellent and consistently overlooked … instead we ****** about with a token cap here and there for Walker, Dunn, Langdon and Dolly.

If anything Dan has been a bold selection by Borthwick that deserves a bit of credit IMO.
8 yes, Billy doesnt deserve it and given how weve played he doesnt fit any better than say Mercer in our gameplan.

Hooker its not his fault in general we are in a crap situation from not developing outside LCD and George. But Dan neeeeeeeded time in the pool stages so he's failed him(and George for overplaying him for that matter). When ever ive seen him play he is impressive(set piece wobbles aside)

Wing, i get bringing back may(would be Watson) and using experience over bringing in Murley, Freeman ect. This is about doing well in the WC not building a team for the future. Post WC(Sunday ;) ) ill judge this.

Totally don't get the McGuigan thing. Solid, reliable, been around a bit so banked plenty of experience. And knows his way to the try line.

Mixed views on Dan. Any credit for Borthwick is offset by the subsequent lack of trust shown and, if George goes down or has an off day, a potentially massive fault line that the Boks won't need a second invitation to expose. Borthwick palpably doesn't trust either Dan or Walker, over an extended period for the latter, so what was the point in bringing both?

Yeah, no need to be an ass and try to insult me for simply stating a fact. A lot of rugby fans are tired of seeing the same two teams winning it. That has nothing to do with how good they are. The rugby isn't boring, the same two teams winning it, is.

And another thing: Me being Dutch has absolutely nothing to do with what I said here. But go on. Be a c.unt

No wonder so many people left this place.
Your opinion is 'a fact'?

Is that how it works round here now so many people have left this place, or is that the reason?

Totally don't get the McGuigan thing. Solid, reliable, been around a bit so banked plenty of experience. And knows his way to the try line.

Mixed views on Dan. Any credit for Borthwick is offset by the subsequent lack of trust shown and, if George goes down or has an off day, a potentially massive fault line that the Boks won't need a second invitation to expose. Borthwick palpably doesn't trust either Dan or Walker, over an extended period for the latter, so what was the point in bringing both?
True. Although, with the exception of the Chile game, no George might have led to a different result which kind of justifies it …

At this point it's probably worth mentioning that the Boks have two back row players covering hooker following Marx's injury. Sure Fourie has played a lot at 2 but he's mostly a back row these days I think?

True. Although, with the exception of the Chile game, no George might have led to a different result which kind of justifies it …

At this point it's probably worth mentioning that the Boks have two back row players covering hooker following Marx's injury. Sure Fourie has played a lot at 2 but he's mostly a back row these days I think?
Also a noticebale drop off in scrummaging power when he went to hooker and Mbonambi came off. Not sure if Bongi has another 70 minutes in him so we'll see

True(ish). But Walker sat on the bench for every 6N game getting something like 28 mins, 20 of which were against France when the game had already gone. Blamire and George started 3 of the warm ups - no guesses which game Dan started with Walker on the bench. The damage was done before they got to France. Borthwick wasn't dealt a good hand, but he could have reduced the risk a bit. All the chips are on George.

Yep, bemused by that. But you'd have a hell of a lot more confidence in the Boks pack looking after a shaky hooker,