• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023 SF2] England vs South Africa (21/10/2023)

The difference between say England and Ireland and the comparative rebuilds. Is that players you mentioned barring Farrel and Lawes have not regularly started for Eng over the past WC cycle.
Therefore replacing them should be more straightforward. Much more difficult when said players are the bedrock of your team and systems/tactics have been built around them
This just isn't the case with this cohort. We could swap 4/5 of those out in one go and not really feel much difference.
That is most of your backline, TBH...
You'll have to find a new 10 - 12 - 13 combo and not a lot of obvious candidates ?

I mean for me there is a difference between racial prejudice and racisim. Neither is right but it's not equal as some people like to try and make it
Again for me personally and my thought system at least, Rugby is still a vastly majority white person game and the people in charge are vastly white (look at swing low sweet chariot) and (again personally) I feel that Racism generally needs to come from a position of power be is systematically, culturally or historically when it doesn't it comes more racial prejudice.

Obviously he shouldn't have said it but the faux outrage of it is a bit erm OTT, also suspect this is gonna end up in the political thread lol

Difference between punching up and punching down I guess.

Yeh kinda my view on it.

South Africans are saying it's windgat which honestly makes more sense. Is **** popular in SA like it is England and Aus?

Perhaps people you know shouldn't jump to the worse, especially in such a noisy environment and with how different languages and accents are. If this was the other that's probably what you would be calling for let's be real.

Last edited:
Terribly disappointed by the scenario and in particular this very difficult decision to understand on the last scrum (but what a shame that Steward missed his kick which led to the penalty).
The last 4 years have been difficult, but last night I really liked the fighting spirit of the players who managed to thwart the South Africans for most of the match.
Cruel end to the match but proud of the team's effort.
And congratulations to South Africa.

Yeh kinda my view on it.

South Africans are saying it's windgat which honestly makes more sense. Is **** popular in SA like it is England and Aus?

Perhaps people you know shouldn't jump to the worse, especially in such a noisy environment and with how different languages and accents are. If this was the other that's probably what you would be calling for let's be real.
Cnut would be a weird one unless he was trying to speak Currys language" so to speak if that makes sense. Would be disappointed but thinking outrage would be a bit forced. TBH windgat would also be. Why talk Afrikaans to Curry? White puss (phonetically) would be a good fit but I can't say for Mbonambi as there are cultural differences in SA between races or more between regions.

Disgusting decision by O'Keefe for that final penalty. 78 minutes of effort undone by that…

Also reports coming out that Mbonambi racially abused Tom Curry in the first half.

I knew that the choice of Ben O'Keeffe as referee for the semi-final of the World Cup was a South African scam behind the scenes.
As with the French team, he offered a gift to South Africa at the end of the match.
I hope the English Rugby Union will push for it to be banned from high-level matches.

You really think that a referee from the southern hemisphere would neutrally referee a team from the northern hemisphere against the southern hemisphere, you are naive.

He swept the French team in the quarter-final and in the semi-final he finished the job against England.

If the incident is as reported, just want to see Mbonambi treated in exactly the same way as Curry would have been if the boot was on the other foot. No more, no less.

If this had been picked up by the officials presumably there'd have been some significant on field sanction?

Ah, get off it. First half we were attacking on the English line and Mostert was tackled by two players where neither even attempted to wrap spilled the ball. Attacking opportunity gone begging. Then at the end end of the half Kolbe was taken out in the air. What would've been a yc previous world cup somehow bok found a way to penalize PSDT for standing still and 3 points for England. I could go on and on about continuing off sides that killed any shot of constructive play and the first half rucks especially but it'd be totally pointless. You are cherry picking and coming off looking graceless. I understand that it'll be the latter non calls that'll stick but you clearly have a chip on your shoulder. Take a break from the sport. You need it.

Yeah I thought England got some very fortunate calls. Especially in the 1st half.

It's an interesting conundrum with regards the the reverse racism thing. I get the argument for power being a factor, but I've seen so many examples of white people, when in an absolute minority being treated badly because they were the powerfull group lol

power is a perception in a lot of minds, and justifiably racist acts are condoned.

Me personally I side with Martin Luther King on his view of race, and therefore any insult race based is racism. I understand there is a lesser form, but I would call it reactional racism, especially with how a lot of white people are currently treated in SA, I mean they have been debating whether to term the attacks on white farmers genocide in certain areas in SA.

Youd think Mbonambi would be more conscious of this, IF he actually said it I must say. I would be inclined to believe it as a mis heard incident, players know they are on mic most of the time, and representing their country globally, youd have to be a real idiot to use a race insult on the pitch!

Also worth noting that World Rugby regs talk about verbal abuse based on colour, not racism.

Attachments

• IMG_2367.jpeg
    IMG_2367.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 9
I'd have to watch again but didn't Libbok nail a pen after Farrell had given away 10m for refusing to hand the ball over?

Remind me who was captain and what the final score was?
Farrell deserves a ton of credit for the DG but he was having a bit a stinker before that.