• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 Mid-Year Tests] New Zealand vs England (3rd Test)

Wasn't he in the goonies.

a22a2072-2464-4764-8736-f835b538a276.jpg

and don't talk to me like that M8 or I will wrek U 1, also by M8 I mean never my M8.

Player of the series ? Bin Smuth for me. I understand Savea was in beast mode and scored fkng 4 tries that series, including a hattrick in the final test and it really really really should've been 5 (with Bin Smuth massacring that last easy pass to him in the first half of this match). But Bin Smith's broken tackles all game long, resisted anyways even when he didn't break tackles, tackled really well himself, was brilliant under the high ball, threw nice passes, tactical kicking was good (very good at times)...

Calling Ben Smith, Bin Smuth, just seems one of those jokes which didn't exactly have much going for it the first time around...

It doesn't increase in wit the more it is used..

(don't mean to just be attacking you BE).

Last edited:
Calling Ben Smith, Bin Smuth, just seems one of those jokes which didn't exactly have much going for it the first time around...

(not mean to just be attacking you BE).

Maybe not for a Kiwi, but for the rest of the world it's hilarious. :D

(don't mean to just be attacking you BE).

that's okay. I don't mean it meanly though, I love world accents, and I do loads of impressions myself, and it really does sound like he's saying "Bin Smuth". People make fun of the French aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall the time for all kinds of stuff, but I just accept that sort of thickness because you'll go crazy fighting for everything in life. The "Bin Smuth" thing is thick, I know, but it's not meant as a shot or anything. I'll stop if it's really that annoying though.

But I didn't mean to upset you man, are you upset ? I'm not upset, are you ? Upset. Upsetting you wasn't my plan, do you upset ? Have you ever upset ? You're contradicting yourself when you say Ben Smith sounds like Bin Smuth which isn't funny, as it happens to be funny, which upsets you and I don't mean to attack you personally nick, but you seem upset as you're contradicting yourself. Bin Smuth.

that's okay. I don't mean it meanly though, I love world accents, and I do loads of impressions myself, and it really does sound like he's saying "Bin Smuth". People make fun of the French aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall the time for all kinds of stuff, but I just accept that sort of thickness because you'll go crazy fighting for everything in life. The "Bin Smuth" thing is thick, I know, but it's not meant as a shot or anything. I'll stop if it's really that annoying though.

But I didn't mean to upset you man, are you upset ? I'm not upset, are you ? Upset. Upsetting you wasn't my plan, do you upset ? Have you ever upset ? You're contradicting yourself when you say Ben Smith sounds like Bin Smuth which isn't funny, as it happens to be funny, which upsets you and I don't mean to attack you personally nick, but you seem upset as you're contradicting yourself. Bin Smuth.

Was pretty upset. But I watched the France vs Australia test and I found 39 reasons to be happy and only 13 upsetting ones ;). Seriously though, when even the French start making fun of your accent, you have to sit yourself down and ask some very serious questions.

just watched the first 20 minutes again, all focusing on Englands defence... and just, wow! It's like they are playing two different defensive systems in the midfield.

I think Farrell really c*cked up here, it's like they were trying to be too clever.

In test 1 burns and Eastmond sat close and came up on Nonu early to shut him down... you can see that here as well but New Zealand just run the wrap on Nonu every single time - and i mean every time. That's why eastmond is all over the place, he is expecting a hit and when it doesn't come he is lost. Burns seems to be wanting Eastmond to drift but he doesn't and they both seem aligned to play a drift defence, but the alignment outside of them is blitz.. I honestly have no clue what they were thinking here.

Outwide Tuilagi and Ashton are f*cking lazy. Our wide defence doesn't come off the line or retreat until they have been breached - you can see Ashton and Tuilagi both sitting one step off the line - they literally stay still watching the ball, flat footed until it's too late. on some occasions they rock backwards and then come forward, but 90% of the time they are not watching their opposite numbers.

Ashton is in position, he's lined up on the 15, that is correct. Tuilagi is not in the right position on but if the inside defence works that's ok he could readjust if he stays square (he doesn't - neither of them do).

The pair of them are just not adding any worth to this defensive system with what they are doing... I still don't think the tries are Ashtons fault, and I absolutely disagree with justin marshall about his set up, but you've got to be prepared to re-adjust if things don't work - it's like England get lined up twice, opened up twice and then go, well they've run it twice they won't run it again. So new zealand do it again and again.

It's one of the most bizarre defensive performances i've ever seen, it's not poor tackling, it's not really anything it's just nothing at all for 20 minutes. There is absolutely 0% of trust within this midfield in defence.

Last edited:
I hate to be that guy (I actually really don't, I love it) but can we all take a moment to appreciate:
a) Savea bumping Ashton
b) Cipriani taking down Savea single handedly
a) I like the little like roll backwards for some reason I find it hilarious
b) Cipriani done well but Savea wasn't running straight and was stepping
c) Robshaw and Woods both miss tackles on him and that shows how off we were yesterday

interesting game.

Tony woodcock, wow I commented that he looked really good after the last test but he went up another gear in this game. He looks really good, lots of energy. Ever seen a centurion Loosehead play like that?

Fekitoa fantastic first start. When he came off his running stats were 144m, 14 runs, 4 broken tackles and 1 clean break. That is very very good. And he had good energy on defense.

Coles is now a genuine All Black starter, cant help but be impressed with how he has developed, we actually really needed him to - and he has so bloody awesome.

Mealamu - very shoddy showing off the bench, lineouts and scrums in the 2nd half were a disaster after being good when Coles was on and contributed to a big loss of momentum in the game for the All Blacks. The one thing you expect from an experienced guy off the bench is solid scrums and lineouts and its not happening for Kevin.

Aaron Smith - sit down sheep shaggers. Sick of people calling for Andy Elis to replace Smith. Elis & Weepu cant clear the ball anywhere near as fast or as well as Smith can. Elis has a really good eye for the game but wastes a lot of time and opportunities.

Ben Smith - player of the series, actually when have we had a series recently when Ben Smith was not player of the series?

Retalick - All Black forward of the series.

Kaino - Comeback kid of the series, not quite the same impact as he had in the first two tests but still played well. Messam showed he is not done with a very good showing off the bench in the 2nd half.

Jane & Savea - top class. Pretty much business as usual for Savea. Good to see Jane playing well he offers something different & important to the All Blacks on attack. Only worry for Jane is that his form seems to fluctuate a lot.

Good to see the AB's finish strongly. For the English I feel like to win 1 test or to show they are improving as the series went on would have been a victory for them but they would have failed to achieve that. And June is a time when the All Blacks are a bit vulnerable. First game in months and they don't get a lot of time together beforehand because of super rugby. All Blacks are stronger towards the end of the year.

if NZ gets this record win streak over and done with (its getting a bit too much of a focus now) they really have to go into WC preparation. The RC and tour has got to be a time to blood players. I think Mealamu days are done, need to give a new back-up hooker 4-5 tests this season. McCaw can't continue to play 80 mins, sure he is captain but Cane has to get some game time. The likes of Piutau, Fekitoa, Tuipulotu, Barrett and Perenara have to get more game time. NZ possibly should use the tour as a big trial, leave all the 80 plus test guys at home - what do they need to prove? and show how much depth we have.

Mealamu looked tired and old in that 3rd test. He looks only to be there a a safety net for Coles and because Coltman and the other younger NZ hookers aren't ready yet. Cane is injured isn't he? McCaw for his lack of Jackals still has an amazing engine and to me looked fine still to last 80 minutes.

There's a reason why he's known as Dreary Cleary.:D. He swings from one extreme to the another. Before the 2nd test he was writing that the ABs aura was fading and England were on the cusp of an historic victory:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...they-no-longer-carry-the-swagger-of-old.html;

now this rubbish of all doom and gloom. I do read the telegraph online, but prefer Brian Moore, Will Greenwood and Geech's articles; ex players and a coach who have played at the highest level. I don't think Cleary has played the game, or if he did, not at the highest level to give us any proper insight other than as a hack.

Last edited:
Hooker has to become a big focus for NZ now. I guess it has been for some time but its all happened at training camps and and not as part of games.

Mealamu's poor performance was a big part of the All Blacks drop off in performance in the 2nd half. I think there were 3 scrum penalties given away, two lineouts given away as free kicks and I think 1 as not straight and lineout quality overall dropped. That is a heck of a lot of ball given away that Mealamu had a big part of. And its the kind of stuff you demand a 100 test hooker to get right, and in 2015, he's just going to be a year older.

I cant help but feel like the wrong hooker was out out to stud, I think I said it last year. Hore was in fantastic form last year when he started being phased out, he seemed to be getting better with age where the opposite has been happening with Mealamu. Hore seemed to have the ability to pull a big game out of the bag when needed where Kevin has not had anything more than a solid performance for a long time.

The bright side is that coles is now a genuine test player and very resilient. Have to give the coaches a pat on the back for that so far its been a success.

But we always needed more than one new hooker.

Its always famous last words but Coltman is going to be an all black, probably a long time All Black so why wait? You could argue that he's just really had a couple of slip ups that have prevented him cracking into the All Blacks? Being part of teh All Blacks squad can see impressive improvements in some young players. Just look at how Barrett and Piutau went? Retalick and Franks?

Harris has burst onto the scene from nowhere by virtue of simply having the best lineout throw going. He's useful around the park as well but the lineout throwing is a massive bonus. Chiefs getting something like 90% of their own ball with Harris throwing. And good quality ball as well.

Given the circumstances with Hore gone and Mealamu on the out a case could be made to bring them both into the squad proper and carry 3 hookers.

So far it seems Hansen doesn't like the idea of carrying 3 hookers. I think he prefers to have two that play week in week out and be in close contact with hookers that remain outside the squad so they get gametime for other teams to work on their game.

Hooker has to become a big focus for NZ now. I guess it has been for some time but its all happened at training camps and and not as part of games.

Mealamu's poor performance was a big part of the All Blacks drop off in performance in the 2nd half. I think there were 3 scrum penalties given away, two lineouts given away as free kicks and I think 1 as not straight and lineout quality overall dropped. That is a heck of a lot of ball given away that Mealamu had a big part of. And its the kind of stuff you demand a 100 test hooker to get right, and in 2015, he's just going to be a year older.

I cant help but feel like the wrong hooker was out out to stud, I think I said it last year. Hore was in fantastic form last year when he started being phased out, he seemed to be getting better with age where the opposite has been happening with Mealamu. Hore seemed to have the ability to pull a big game out of the bag when needed where Kevin has not had anything more than a solid performance for a long time.

The bright side is that coles is now a genuine test player and very resilient. Have to give the coaches a pat on the back for that so far its been a success.

But we always needed more than one new hooker.

Its always famous last words but Coltman is going to be an all black, probably a long time All Black so why wait? You could argue that he's just really had a couple of slip ups that have prevented him cracking into the All Blacks? Being part of teh All Blacks squad can see impressive improvements in some young players. Just look at how Barrett and Piutau went? Retalick and Franks?

Harris has burst onto the scene from nowhere by virtue of simply having the best lineout throw going. He's useful around the park as well but the lineout throwing is a massive bonus. Chiefs getting something like 90% of their own ball with Harris throwing. And good quality ball as well.

Given the circumstances with Hore gone and Mealamu on the out a case could be made to bring them both into the squad proper and carry 3 hookers.

So far it seems Hansen doesn't like the idea of carrying 3 hookers. I think he prefers to have two that play week in week out and be in close contact with hookers that remain outside the squad so they get gametime for other teams to work on their game.

As long as Coltman can't throw he shouldn't be anywhere near the squad. I don't think we would even win a line out against SA with him throwing in. It's a shame cause he is good round the park. Harris lacks the grunt for international footy at this stage (he is like Coles was a few years ago). You can see why they are hanging onto Mealamu.

As long as Coltman can't throw he shouldn't be anywhere near the squad. I don't think we would even win a line out against SA with him throwing in. It's a shame cause he is good round the park. Harris lacks the grunt for international footy at this stage (he is like Coles was a few years ago). You can see why they are hanging onto Mealamu.

Read somewhere that Coles was told to bulk up if he wanted to be an AB, he needed to add 4 kgs or something, anything can be done as Coles is now an AB for sure.

He was definitely told to bulk up and he needs to do more to compete with the lardy big fellas like Bismarck and Hartley.
I like his speed though.
Makes Mealaamu and Hore look slow.
Reminds me of a young skinny Fitzy.

I think from an English hookers perspective, Webber went really well but Hartley just doesn't seem to be contributing at the moment. I know he's not had much rugby but I thought he was very quiet in the 3rd test. I still thing Youngs is the best in the loose but seeing as he can't throw for love nor money, he can't possibly be picked.

Hartley's hooking and throwing wasn't up to standard in the 3rd test.
Considering how much people harped on about that, with regards to Tom Youngs, it's only fair that Hartley is held up to the same scrutiny.

I thought Webber was great, he'd be my first choice 2 currently.

Hartley's hooking and throwing wasn't up to standard in the 3rd test.
Considering how much people harped on about that, with regards to Tom Youngs, it's only fair that Hartley is held up to the same scrutiny.

I thought Webber was great, he'd be my first choice 2 currently.

*scrotum. Held up by the same 'scrotum'. Yes...
And it's too late for regrets and remorse and tasty umbrella candy now, England have no choice but to pound NZ at home next November and put at least 38 points past them. Because if not, it'll mean England have regressed as opposed to progress, and fans all claim England's soooo much better and stuff now, well we'll see about that.

Latest posts