• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool A: Australia vs. Wales (10/10/2015)

I think once the World Cup is done it would be well worth Matthew Morgan's time to consider making a permanent switch to wing. He would stand a far better chance at securing a starting spot in the Wales team. At fly half over the next 4 years he has to compete with Biggar, Priestland, Anscombe, Hook (depending how long he plays on for), Patchell, Sam Davies, Owen Williams, Steven Shingler. At fullback he's contesting with Halfpenny, Liam Williams, Anscombe, Amos, Hook, Patchell, Dan Evans, Gareth Owen, Dan Fish, Jason Tovey. On the wings we have far fewer obvious choices after North, Liam Williams, Cuthbert (unfortunately), Amos, Eli Wales. I would love to see him develop into another Shane, he would offer something completely different to North on the opposite wing. I think his raw talent in attack is too promising to go to waste, I would hate a situation where 10 years down the line he still had very few caps for Wales.

I've thought this for a while. He seems quite suited to the wing where his weaknesses are less exposed. He could still roam infield and act as first receiver on occasion, just as Shane used to do.

We do already have that player available though, in Jordan Williams. He just needs to get his act together, and for the Scarlets to start playing him again!

Absolutely can't wait for this game!

No doubt Wales are the underdogs - although I don't expect them to win, if it were to happen it wouldn't be a massive surprise.

Glad that we have Paul James and Samson starting, our scrum has been pretty weak so far and Australia demolished England in that area. Also glad to see Charteris start, as if our scrum is on the back foot (which lets face it is likely) the lineout is going to be an area where we'll need to pull it together. The lineout functions much better with Charteris.

I'm a little gutted that we won't get top see Warbs and Tips test themselves against the best in Hooper and Pocock. Sure in terms of getting a result it's a bonus that Hooper isn't there but I'd have loved to have seen how we'd have gone about handling them both. I'm sure Pocock will prove a massive challenge by himself though!

I'd have had Matthew Morgan on the wing ahead of Cuthbert. He's electric when he gets the ball. OK he's not the biggest guy, but Cuthbert's defence is poor and Morgan offers way more in attack.

Although at the moment North looks like the best option for centre, I'm not sure of him there more generally. He's a big strong guy who can put some big hits in, but when people step back inside him he's liable to fall off the tackle.

Anscombe is not proven yet at this level and I can see Aus shoving high balls down his throat and pressurising him early on to see if they get any gains from it.

Whatever happens I think this is going to be a great game to watch. It'll be high tempo and both teams can express themselves a bit knowing that they are guaranteed a QF place and have the big carrot of an easier route thrugh the rest of the tournament.

I'm pretty sure Anscombe will go fine under the high ball, he's also pretty good kicking from hand, so that could be an advantage if they play for field position; he can run too, but he's no Folau :)

the trouble with that would be that then he returns to club rugby at 10/15. mainly 10. or if he perminantly switched to wing he would be wasting all his talents at 10, although not good enough to be an international 10 (IMO) at the moment, he could certainly be a top club number 10 very soon though.

does anyone know if there any fly-halfs that also cover wing internationally at the moment?

Colin Slade covers wing, he's deceptively quick, but I feel he's probably a little small.

I'll be supporting Wales this game, I like the attitude of their players, seem like good blokes and of course 2 Kiwis in the set-up Gats and Anscombe, come on lads, step up!!

I've thought this for a while. He seems quite suited to the wing where his weaknesses are less exposed. He could still roam infield and act as first receiver on occasion, just as Shane used to do.

We do already have that player available though, in Jordan Williams. He just needs to get his act together, and for the Scarlets to start playing him again!

Is Jordan Williams injured? I've been impressed with his game since he took the jnr world cup by storm, and then suddenly developed crazy strength to get out of tackles.

Thought he was going to be the next 'little'un'', then he showed he had more than just elusiveness.

I'll be supporting Wales this game, I like the attitude of their players, seem like good blokes and of course 2 Kiwis in the set-up Gats and Anscombe, come on lads, step up!!

Hey, don't you know, the Wallabies have won a few games in a row and now they're calling themselves the Cup favourites!

Hey, don't you know, the Wallabies have won a few games in a row and now they're calling themselves the Cup favourites!

No mate, they are certainly not doing that. A bloke named Phil Waugh stupidly said that but it's the last thing you'll hear from the likes of Cheika or anyone in the Wallabies camp.

No mate, they are certainly not doing that. A bloke named Phil Waugh stupidly said that but it's the last thing you'll hear from the likes of Cheika or anyone in the Wallabies camp.

I'm sure the whole setup are keeping their feet on the ground
I think this game may define your campaign though.
Follow up last week with a good win against us and you will probably have to deal with the joint favourites tag.
Lose and it makes last week look like a flash in the pan.

I'm sure the whole setup are keeping their feet on the ground
I think this game may define your campaign though.
Follow up last week with a good win against us and you will probably have to deal with the joint favourites tag.
Lose and it makes last week look like a flash in the pan.

Yeah that sums it all up pretty well really. Very hard game to pick though. The side Wales have picked is impressive and the size of that backline could cause problems.

To be honest though, part of me thought we might not get beyond the group so anything else from here is a bonus. And heck, even if we lose we have a pretty solid record against the Boks in World Cups

I'm pretty sure Anscombe will go fine under the high ball, he's also pretty good kicking from hand, so that could be an advantage if they play for field position; he can run too, but he's no Folau :)

I'm not saying anscombe doesn't have what it takes, just the factor that the rest of the Wales team have shown they can perform on the big occasion at international level whereas anscombe still needs to prove it. If I was aus if be all over him early in to see how he deals with it

I'm not saying anscombe doesn't have what it takes, just the factor that the rest of the Wales team have shown they can perform on the big occasion at international level whereas anscombe still needs to prove it. If I was aus if be all over him early in to see how he deals with it

Shhh the Aus team might be reading this. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm just hoping our scrum holds out.Against England the Aussie scrum looked as solid a scrum as I've seen in a long while.

I hope ye do it Wales! you've got to play the 80 full on don't let the Ozies off the hook.

Why why why do referees not penalise collapsing the maul when it forms in open play?

Why why why do referees not penalise collapsing the maul when it forms in open play?

No idea. Also, you challenge the breakdown and Aus don't look the same. Just makes me dislike our coaches even more.

I thought that once the ball hits the floor it becomes a ruck and you have to roll?

Talk about the jitters.
Wallabies have not started well. Scrum has been good though

I thought that once the ball hits the floor it becomes a ruck and you have to roll?

As I understand it, if the ref calls a maul and it goes to ground and gets bogged down, no one has to roll away and the ref can call a scrum against the side taking it in!